CairnTalk

Help please

Scruffys Mom

Sorry friends, have not been here for a while. Tough year. Sparky is now 5 and Scruffy is 6. For those of you who remember us, Sparky had 2 obstruction surgeries when he was around 2. Fast forward to last Tuesday. He started throwing up. Took him to the vet late afternoon. She did a quick x ray and pancreas tst. Pancreatis came back positive. Gave an anti vomiting shot and pain shot. Sent him home. 2 am, the dog is in intense pain. Rushed to Emergency vet, woke him up, he seemed concerned, gave pain meds and told em to wait for my vet to open. 8 am, back at my vet, Sparky is critical. My vet realizes they probably made a wrong diagnosis and sent me to AVS (basically the Mayo clinic for dogs in FL.) They did the real tests, realized it was no pancreatitus. but a blockage. Too critical to operate. They hydrated and then performed surgery. This was Wednesday. He had not perforated, but very close. They removed 6 inches of intestine. Next day, Sparky is not getting better. More tests, proteins were dropping, he was not eating and had diah and vomiting. Next day, biopsy from intestine came back to show severe irritable bowel which meant inflammation (probably due to a food allergy). They stated the way to treat was steroids (immune suppressive) and could not give til he started to thrive. Did a plasma transfusion and a feeding tube. Saturday, still not better and an elevated temp, which they thought may be from the plasma transfusion. Still vomiting and diahr which they expected from the feeding tube. This am, (Sunday) got a call (they have 24 hr docs there) Sparkys temp elevated to 105, gave them a scare and they did more biopsys and ultra sounds to see if he was septic and if there were fluid pockets. All tests seemed "unremarkable". How much pain do I let him endure. I am $10k plus into costs. I am concerned about the money, we all would be, but I am all in if I can get him better Am I torturing him, has anyone gone through this. Pray for him the docs and that I am making the right decisions. We all know how I feel. Thanks in advance

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so very sorry for Sparky and for your family. I can feel your heavy heart and mind. Sparky is so young that it is hard to know when to stop and what you should do. You can play the "what if" games, but don't do that to yourself - it just sucks up to much energy. All any of us can do is tell you what we think we would do and even that is not a given until we are in your shoes.

So, if it were me and my Sparky: (This is hard to rap my brain around) It's been 5 days of hell. At this point I would have to ask the doctors what Sparky's chances are? I would have faith in their prognosis. (Assuming that you have faith in them.) You have went so far that you hate to give up if there is a reasonable chance of survival. After you have an indepth dicussion with the doctors, I would spend some time with Sparky - I would want to touch him. If the doctors thought there was a good chance of a turn around, I would stay the course. But if not, I would let Sparky go ..... and it pains me to write this. Feel my hand in yours as you read this I write with tears in my eyes. :pray: I wish we could stop time when times are good.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Thank you for your thoughtfulness and words of wisdom. On my way to church now and ready to have that discussion tomorrow.

So sorry to hear about Sparky, I know its a though call, specially when they are so young!! I am sure that you will make the right decision, which is whatever is best for him.

No words of advice. I just couldn't read and not send you a supportive ((hug)) as you navigate these difficult, scary waters with Sparky. Your love will guide you to the right decisions.

I'm so sorry for what you and Sparky are currently going through. It's never an easy road when you are caught up in all that has been happening. I think Dempsy's Mom has said it best. You need to talk to the doctors - find out what his chances are for full recovery. Our pups are our children and when they are distressed and in pain, we walk the same path. As we have probably all been in this position at one time or another, it's one of the hardest things to know what to do. My prayers and thoughts are going out to you today.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

So sorry to hear that Sparky so sick. My heart goes out to all of you. It is one of the hardest thing to go thru for our beloved pets. You are in our prayers

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

My prayers are with you and Sparky, it cannot be easy and I too send you a supportive cyber {{hug}}

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Poor Sparky and such a tough week of worry for you.

I have not been in exactly that situation. When Bandit was 14 he had a severe seizure which he survived, but almost like a stroke victim. My vet said he would probably continue to have very bad /life threatening seizures over the next couple days and we had to make a decision that afternoon as to what to do. So I asked my vet what she would do if it were her dog and she said the kind thing to do was to let him go. Which we painfully did.

Like Dempsey's mom said - it's often best to let the doctors guide you. They have a good feel for the dog's pain and what they going through.

I truly hope he improves in the next 24 hours. My prayers are with you.

Idaho Cairns

"How much pain do I let him endure. I am $10k plus into costs. I am concerned about the money, we all would be, but I am all in if I can get him better Am I torturing him, has anyone gone through this."

Madeline, you begin and end your thoughts with the absolutely correct question--your Sparky's quality of life. There is no answer, dogs fight so hard and endure so much to stay alive and we just don't know when to act. To the extent you can you have to be objective--put aside the heart and the longing you know is going to come and let the vet and the dog make the decision. Most of us that have been in this situation often recognize when we have waited too long, put the dog thru too much before we did the right thing. None of us will ever know if we acted too soon, if some corner was about to be turned, some miracle to occur.

You have obviously done all that a human can do to create a good life for your Sparky, he couldn't have asked for a better master. If there is any guilt there, let it go. Clearly this isn't a question of money. Wish there was an easy answer but there isn't--simple as that. I know you will do the right thing for Sparky just as you have always done. Hugs from here and please let us know--everyone of us cares.

Listen to your doctors but remember that you know your dog better than anyone. You and Sparky are in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

Thanks to everyone. Your concern and support means so much right now. Just left the vets. They had 2 surgeons come in and deal with this(the same 2 I have been with from the beginning). They honestly felt I was on the right track. They felt there was a leakage and wanted to go back in. They felt if the surgery needed to be redone, we would be on the road to healing and then could deal with the IBD, and rid him of the sepsis. If it is the IBD that is shutting him down, we will be in the same boat, but we could not rule out the chance. Church this morning was directed my way in answers and the dr's were very straight forward and gracious enough to get me a financial; discount. We ave not given up yet and will ;let you know. My friends, I appreciate you....

I can only echo every word that Idaho Cairns has already said.

I am so terribly sad and sorry to read what you and Sparky have been through. Illness, quality of life and pain are the things to consider re whether or not to let Sparky go and the decision is so much harder considering Sparky's young age. You've already done more than many people could or would, on Sparky's behalf. I know you don't begrudge the money you've already spent, (a great deal by anyone's standards), but you also have Scruffy and his future needs to think about. Perhaps your friends and family - the ones who know you & Sparky best, can assist you with this critical decision.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Dear Madeline, I am so very sorry your sweet Sparky is so ill, but it sounds like he is in very good hands right now. I have always found that we truly know our pets the best, and we can trust our instincts. As others have said, I would ask your vets if there is a chance that Sparky will recover, and if so, go for it! I will be keeping you and Sparky in my prayers. :candle:

Sending big hugs,

Melissa

my thoughts are with you. you have many, many factors to juggle, but as far as sparky is concerned, he has pain meds and will always feel that he is being cared for. your contact with him let's him know that you are with him and would never let anybody hurt him, and if there is discomfort it is for a reason. he knows that, because he knows you. we are all hoping for the best.

We went through the pancreatitis this past summer. Horrible thing that is. I had to leave my Roxy there 2 days while they tried to save her. Thankfully they did. I had a great Dr. I pray yours will be even better.

Kristi

Most recent update. He came through the surgery very well. The sutures had definitely ruptured and had leakage. The Dr could not come up with a clinical reason why the rupture as the tissue looked healthy. We did a new plasma transfusion with special platelets (I am exhausted and can not remember the verbiage they used). Kept the nasal feeding tube rather than the trach tube (forgot why) changed the antibiotics and we are all praying. I feel at peace with the decisions made, the level of care provided and that I have done the right thing. It is and has been in Gods hands and who could ask for better hands than that. I am going to sleep tonight calm and feeling positive. You guys are the absolute best!!!! AS a footnote, today in church a pastor with no arms and no legs gave the surgeon, (he was born that way) Amazin words came from his mouth. One that touched home, was if you ask for a miracle and do not get it, be the miracle.

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said, but I'm praying for you and Sparky.

Helene

I hope you wake up rested tomorrow and Sparky shows improvement. These animals we all have just reach in and squeeze our hearts which makes it so much fun when all is well. It sure hurts though when they aren't well. A prayer from myself and Luigi has been sent for a positive outcome.

You have a plan ... so helpful when things threaten to overwhelm. Even when our plans have to adapt to changing circumstances - sometimes the plan is to make a new plan - but I still find comfort in being able to see a way forward. Thinking all strong and healing thoughts for you and Sparky.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Just to say thinking about you and Sparky.................also Scruffy and rest of family

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I'm so sorry to see Sparky is ill, I have just read this post and am a little relieved to see things are a bit better for him.

Sending prayers and hugs your way.

Janet.

ctdogs.jpg

Glad to hear that Sparky is doing better, but sorry to hear that he needed a 2nd surgery. :hug:

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Archived