CairnTalk

My Precious Riley

Rileymom27

My beautiful and much beloved Riley passed today. I feel the need to pay tribute to him for all that he was and all that he remains. Never was there a dog that touched us the way he did - - a truly special little spirit that gave so much love and joy.

He fought a hard battle but in the end his tiny body couldn't hold up - - if an amazing heart could have saved him he would still be with us. He died peacefully - - surrounded by so many loving and compassionate people and I take solace in the fact that he is no longer suffering. He will always be a part of me. . .I loved him fiercely! Rest in peace lil guy.. . . .love you Baby Boy<3

So very sorry! It is so tough to lose such a close friend and companion--my thoughts are with you during this difficult, difficult time for you and your family. What an awful winter this has been!!!

I am very sorry for your loss.

I reread your original post in regards to Riley's struggle with kidney failure. And viewed your great picture of him. He was adorable and i agree with you Cairns are very special.

We are saddened to hear of Riley's passing after his long battle. I looked back to the 10/27/10 post where you first told us of his diagnosis, and then I read my reply at that time. There's little more that can be said, except that Riley is now in a better place, safe from pain & suffering. What really hit me about your story is that our Bailey is about the same age (will be 8 this August), and he had to have life-saving liver shunt surgery in 2005. It was much too soon to lose your dear boy, but we don't have the final say in these things. We do everything that we can possibly do, but it's not always enough.

Our Bailey is now in good health and we treasure every day we have with him. God bless you and Riley.

Jim & Connie

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I'm so terribly sorry to hear of Riley's passing. We all know how it feels to lose that special friendship filled with love and devotion that defines our relationship with our dogs. Riley was lucky to have you and you were blessed to have him brighten your days. Please accept my sincere condolences.

I am so sorry... he was a lovely boy and you did everything that a loving owner could possible do. Loving fiercely can be a painful thing when you loose someone you dearly love, but in the end its that fierce love that makes you a wonderful and caring human being.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I am just so very sorry to learn of your sweet Riley's passing. I prayed so hard for him when I learned he was ill, and even lit a candle for him in my church. I was so hoping against hope that his kidney function would improve, but it was not to be. It just hurts so terribly to lose such a beloved wee one, especially at such a tender age. I know your heart is broken, and you will miss him so deeply. May all your special memories of him be a balm for your aching heart, until the day comes that you are reunited and can hold him in your arms, never again to be parted. Oh, what a glorious day that will be!

I post quite often on Petloss.com. Should you feel you need any extra support please feel free to visit the site. That site helped me heal after I lost Betsy Noodle and Ralphie.

You will be in my prayers,

Melissa

Edited by BetsyNoodle

I am so very sorry. My heart breaks whenever someone loses their beloved companion. I'm glad in his last moments he was surrounded by those who loved him. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

We add our sympathy to hear of Riley's passing. Your words are so true that these great dogs are so special to all of us. They open our lives and hearts with their adorable ways. You took such great care of Riley and made gave him a great life. Know that you are thought of today and supported by all of us here.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

I am very sorry to hear about Riley. I too went back to your October post and saw that you wrote:

"Riley is more than just a dog - - he is in a league all his own"

-- Cairns have a special way of bonding with us, it's an exceptional connection.

Bless little Riley for his battle and his spirit.

So very sorry to hear about Riley's passing. It's amazing how these tiny furry creatures can completely capture our hearts... hearts that very nearly break when they're gone. I hope you find some comfort in reliving wonderful memories with your little guy.

Thank you all so much for your kind words. The shock of losing Riley has worn off and the pain is unbelieveably real. I can't even put into words the depth of my love for him or the reality of living my life without my little guy. My husband and two daughters and I are just functioning at this point - - we miss him so. How does a little creature like this grab onto your heart so???? He was one amazing little dog. . . . . I find extreme comfort in knowing that you understand my loss and the nature of owning a Cairn. Thanks so much for caring and helping to ease my sadness. Hugs to all of you!

I am so sorry to hear of Riley's passing. I understand the pain that you and your family are feeling...they capture our hearts and don't let go. Riley was a beautiful little guy and will be missed. God bless you and your family.

There is nothing anyone can say at this very sad time in your life. I too followed your journey in seeking help for little Riley's ailment. I am very sorry for your loss. I know how much pain you are feeling - as I too have just recently gone through my little girls loss. Take comfort in your family - talk about the good things that Riley left with you - cry together and heal together. The pain will get easier as time goes on. I know that you too will be reunited, one day, with your beloved baby - just not yet. Take take of yourselves.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

These little dogs do make us better human beings. They are such a blessing to our family. I am so sorry you and yours have lost Riley in your lives. There probably isn't much I can say to make it better. May I offer my clumbsy worded condolences? When we had healed a little, sharing memories of the funny, happy times with one another helped us feel less pain.

Hi - - it has been one week since Riley passed and although I can think of many happy times we shared, I miss him so so much. My family and I have been sharing a lot of the memories we have of him and this is helping to heal the loss we so keenly feel. It will take a lifetime for our pain to ease up but we are trying. I feel I have an amazing support group with my family, friends and all of you! Thanks so much for understanding that Riley was never "just a dog" but a wonderful and loving member of our family . . .God Bless!

• 4 weeks later...

It has been one month since we lost our precious Riley - - - I hope it gets easier as time passes. Love and miss you Baby Boy. . . . .

I lost Ginger a year and a half ago. It does get easier, but never goes away completely. I brought Ginger home as well. I still say goodbye to her every day before I go to work just like I did when she was alive. It may seem a little strange, but it helps me to stay connected. Just know that Riley is watching over you. He is your families guardian angel now.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

It will get easier with time but time does go so slowly when you are grieving for a beloved pet. I think it is OK to be so sad, to miss Riley so much, it gauges just how much he meant to you. Force yourself thru it all--the longing, the tears, the "what if's", you are are a journey to a place of acceptance and it's not easy. Thinking of you and Riley this morning.

It sounds like Riley was a special little guy. I am so sorry for your loss. Our dog was sick in the end too. I find a lot of peace in knowing that he is now pain free, and I try to remember him before he was sick. My family likes to talk about him all the time. There are so many wonderful memories to share and they make us all smile. It is amazing how attached we get. We still have his dog bed in our room and his food and dog treats are still in the pantry. I did put his dog bowls away, but I haven't had the heart to move anything else. I swear I see him waiting patiently at the back door to come in sometimes. I have done several double takes because I'm so used to him being in his favorite places in our house. His little spirit is everywhere. My heart goes out to you and your family.