CairnTalk

big cairn terrier

Newcairn or anyone,

The person I bought Roxie from gave me the "registered papers" but I can't make heads or tails of them. It is just some names and numbers. Does anyone know where to go to check on these and see where the other parts of the family came from etc. (someone mentioned mine might be part Norwich, so I would like to check)

I think, and I am not completely sure, I could be wrong here. If the dog has papers, then they have DNA on file with AKC so the bloodlines can be verified. This may not be a requirement for all breeders so your dog could still be AKC'd but not DNA'd with the AKC. Our breeder did all of this stuff so it was really easy to verify this info with AKC.

As far as the registration papers, we didn't get the actual papers, but rather we received Digby's pedigree and then had him neutered and then she released the registration paper we needed to get the the other things. Truth is, if you have their pedigree you don't really need to send the reg. in to AKC, because they give you the same thing anyway.

If the dog were a Norwich, chances are he would be so big like you mentioned, Norwiches are smaller than Cairns.

I would suggest going back to the place you got him and start asking some questions if you really need to find this stuff out. Don't put too much stock in the AKC stuff anyway, it is the breeder you should worry about. Go ask them the history of the dog. Ask them for a Pedigree if they never gave you one, that will answer all the questions you want answered, although those are easily forged. I would just enjoy the dog if you already fell in love, but I do understand the need to put your mind at ease. Start with the breeder.

That was my response above by the way, I just forgot to log in.

Also, since I can't edit that response, I meant to say if the dog were a Norwich, chances are the dog would NOT be as big as you described since they are smaller than Cairns.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Guest Friend of a Cairn Terrier

When I registered my cairn terrier with the AKC, they offered to provide a detailed blood line going back generations. (My goal was, in part, to create an independent record of ownership.) If your dog is AKC registered, the American Kennel Club should be able to provide the information you seek regarding the bloodline going back many generations, unless you believe the papers with which you should have been provided are false.

As for the breeder itself, why not check with the BBB? Selling mixed breeds as pure bred dogs might have attracted their attention.

Note: My cairn was a pet shop puppy. I purchased him to "liberate" him and prevent an unfortunate end after he had slept in a small wire cage suspended above waste for months. His two siblings had already been purchased, and he was alone and growing larger, too large for such a small cage to hold a representative of this energetic breed. (I was considering an Irish terrier at the time, but wasn't going to leave the animal who is now my little buddy in that cage any longer.)

He grew to weigh more than 20 pounds, and I would be quite pleased if he were a healthy 30 pounder. (My last dog was a German Shepard...anyone for giant cairn terriers - healthy ones, of course?) I once read that the "standard" was beginning to vary somewhat internationally, which may bear some consideration if there is recent genetic input that is not from within the U.S, or is from source that realizes that these little dogs have much more to offer than a compact frame to their customers.

These cairn terriers, like German Shepherds, are wonderful, loyal, highly protective dogs (a little too protective for their size if you ask me). (Very furry too!) I wouldn't give mine up for anything. He has an intelligence and capacity for affection that is at times astounding. Anyone able to share their lives with a member of this breed has something for which they should count themselves privileged.

P.S. German Shepherds are also wonderful dogs, but they're difficult to work into an apartment lease due to their size and the temperament they can develop if not highly socialized. (My last died some time ago at my parents home in the country, and was the best friend I could have imagined as a boy.)

Thank you "friend of a cairn" for you reply. I do fell priviledged to have these guys. You get enormous "oommpf" from these little bigs dogs. Thanks for all the info also.

Archived