CairnTalk

Blastomycosis

Deasta

Bubba is holding his own for today. It is VERY hard to feed him and give him the heparin shots...in fact I only got in half of the shot becasue he was struggling to get away..

He appears to be more...umm fiesty when we attempt to feed him and do the shots...I think its good that he has the strength..BUT I CANT give the shots anymore becasue he gets TO upset...

Its like being between a rock and hard place...

He did pee again twice today..and we are managing small sips of water and a little bit of food syringing here and there...

He seems to NOT want to lay down and sits up for hours just..breathing...BUt its not bad breathing...just...breathing

I dont know...its so hard..he is obviously weak and sick..and the breathing is difficult at times..BUT he just seems to be THERE...like off in his own world today...

Its like he's thinking.....

He's outside right now and I see he found his little spot where he sits during the day..so he is definatly back to feeling comfortable in is old places!

I am HOPING to make the trip back to Madison tomorrow...

My main concern thats pressing is no heparin shot to keep his blood thin..so I want to address that asap so we dont have the trauma of a life threatening clot...

Thank you for asking..it makes me feel good that I can share some of this..its like a nice release...so much pressure!

Stacey

Stacey, Shep, Dingo, Oakie and of course, Bubba!!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stacey, I check the forum A LOT to see if there is word on how Bubba is doing - and I'm sure everyone here does the same thing. I feel so helpless other than keeping him in my prayers and I hope that knowing all of us here are concerned and that we care helps in some small way.

Still praying for Bubba (and you). He is such a strong little guy and you guys are doing so much to help him. He is a lucky fellow. Please continue to keep us posted and feel free to post here anytime. I can only imagine what you must be feeling.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

I am hoping for peace to you both, and offer whatever strength I can through out this process.

Sending healing karma and stout prayers

Tena

Sophie

Image032.jpg

:halo: All of you are so wonderful!

Our cairn community is so strong and we all share so many touching and funny experiences with these dogs. My husband and I were reading som eof the doggie "bio's" and it really picked our spirit up. WE THOUGHT we were the only one who had NICKNAMES for our boys...

Bubba's nickname is actually Chopper ...cause when I would come home from a bike ride or a run he would get so happy to see me he would GRIN :D

So..to see those little teeth..ahh they had to be choppers!!!

So many good memories with Bubba...and what joy he has brought!

To see all of the pictures on this site reminds me of how luckey we are all to have these dogs in our lives! :wub:

Bubba's update//cairn terrier tough...he still id fighting the syringe..and still seems painful to lay down ...we watched him yesterday as he sat in the sun and almost fell over a 100 times refusing to lay....what a tropper!

He is very dehaydrated and since we just got a big snow storm theres no trip to the UW today ot tomorrow..so we are pushing oral fluids as much as we can. I even am diluting Gatoraide..which surprising..he seems to like!

So..we hold on again...but I would safely say today is a FAIR day...(which is a relief!)

Also..spring is coming..and all of you who are near by lakes..streams..or doing any landscaping please..beware of blato!

In wisconsin we just found out Lincoln county has the HIGHEST incidence of blato for HUMANS and dogs...

They are studying the Wisconsin river banks down in Merril since 11 people got blastomycosis this month alone and a LITTLE girl DIED!!! :(

The best defense? There is none..BUT pay atention to the wigns..a cough...change in diet..excercise...and ALWAYS be safe then sorry and insist on a CHEST xray from your doctor..Blasto just resembles TOO many diseases and thats why dogs die..treatment EARLY can save the dog...but as you see..Bubba was very very late since he exhibited hardly any symptoms and his super doggie strength really hide any telltale sugns...he just compensated....

I will keep checking in..I love to see the posts and the pictures of all the awesome doggies you all have

Thanks for the encouraging words..THAT alone is helping us thru this daily!!

We know there is hope when there is postive people out there like you guys!!

Stacey

Below is bubbas picture taken today..he's note smiling right now..but he will soon

post-1338-1142278143_thumb.jpg

Awww. look at that sad face. Poor guy.....I just wanna scoop him him up and smother him with kissies.

Stacey.....May I ask where in Wisconsin you are? I am in the south 'burbs of Chicago, but grew up very near the WI border.

I am surprised that I have not heard of this disease before??

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

SMALL BREAKTHRU'S

Bubba huffed and puffed his wat thru last night but he got up this morning and peed right away!

HA I NEVER thought anticipating for a dog to urinate would be so nerve wracking but SO REWARDING when it happens :)

ANDDDD he actually LIFTED his leg up...BIG DEAL for a weak guy who was squating the whole time!

AND get this..I finally coaxed him this morning to EAT SOME CHICKEN!!

I'll tell you I was practivally standing on my head like a circus clown telling him "Look at me..see how exciting this is when you eat real food??"

Well he ate...but then the poor guy THREW up the whole bunch 10 minutes later :sick:

Well..it was a valient effort...Now I know to try a little bit...I think I over did it with him..So no more standing om my head..I'll just do that half cartwheel and then prehpas he'll eat less!

The chicken also was grilled...so I am boiling chicken breats this morning hoping this may be more bland for him...

In the meantime its back to the syringe :( Poor guy....the throwing up has left him weak again..and back to struggling with his breathing.....)

Today I will go see the NEW vet in Rhinelander...since we cant make the trip to madison cause of the huge snow storm..I will have to see a new vet..who..from what I heard has helped many dogs thru blato!

Well..I think the thoughts and prayers are helping Bubba hang on...If we can figure out WHY he seems to be doing this low moan when he breaths today..then I may feel a little better...I hope its nothing major..We will do more labs and an xray so I will let you all know if these look better..LETS PRAY they do!!

He needs some better labs for once!

AND NO MORE CLOTS!!!!!! PLEASEEEEEE

Ok below is bubbas morning pic..I am giving him his nuebilzer..he actually is gettign use to it and relaxing a bit when I give it!

Also

CathyAnn..we are way up north...in Tomahawk...what town in Wisconsin have you been to? Alot of Chicago people come up to Woodruff to vaction..which is 45 minutes more north from here. I live in a very popular area for vactioners...lots of lakes and recreational stuff...where in Chicago are you? We do a URBAN adventure race at Navy Pier in Feb during the outdoor convention...the start line is right inside the conventioncenter and then we run and bike alll over chicago finding check points with a map...its like a short 6-7 hour race..but kinda cold!

They canceled this year..but we always loved doing this race in the windy city! My last teammate was also from Wilmette...nice nieghborhood!

Thanks all...hope for a good day

post-1338-1142347131_thumb.jpg

What a tough little guy Bubba is - and what amazing parents he has for the love and dedication you give him.

Lots of prayers still continuing for him - he's amazing!

Hi Stacey,

I see your little guy is having a breathing treatment. I can't believe he sits there with the hum and hiss from the machine. What a good boy!! Just breaks my heart to know how hard he is fighting. But, sounds like there has been some improvement which is GREAT!!

We in the southwest 'burbs, Naperville to be exact. Ah, yes, Wilmette is very nice and very expensive. As a kid, I camped in an area near Eagle River. Not sure how close you might be?? I am not too familiar with northern WI.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Here's hoping that the new vet will be able to help Bubba get well very soon. Goodness knows he has already been through enough. Prayers coming your way! Please continue to keep us posted!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Just sending good vibes for you. The nebulizer picture reminds me of when my son was a tyke and needed a treatment. He never struggled with it when his asthma was bad, it felt good. I imagine Bubba feels the same.

Hang in and hold strong....both you and Bubba.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

BUBBA's UPDATE

Well, the vet visit yesterday proved fruitless. The so called expert was nothing of the sort. Instead she drew labs and did an xxray and offered no help except that he might benefit from an oxygen tent :(

It is so frustrating...Sometimes I feel as if I am going to just fall to pieces...

Since we already used up TWO o2 tanks on Bubba I had to choice but to buy a crate and then drive another 40 miles to get a o2 concentrator...another 200 for for that 100 for the tanks..50 for the crate..and 250 for the vet..and of course..another 250 today! The endless financial burden has become so overwhelming my husband and I do not know what to do....

I hate to say this..but we have spent over $8,000 on Bubba..MY WHOLE savings...

I said we would do what ever it took to save my Bubba..but now I see what health care is all about..its WHO has the money :( And what a awful thing to do to people who are desperate and would do just about anything for the ones they love..

I now am looking at my job as a RN in a different light..I am part of that system..and never thought how some people may have to struggle with the cost of life being dependant on what they have in their bank account....

I dont work enough to pay these bills..and my husband is self employeed...so now we struggle with this new stress..and we are fearful..

Today the UW vet suggested another IV to hydrate him...but after THREE sticks..his viens are so bad they gave up. Instead they blused some fluid underneth his skin. I am going to try to do this here at home..but he fights and struggles soooo hard....but I jsut cant afford to go back and have the doctors do it...

He is weaker today...Its a bad day today :( I wish I knew what to do to make him well....

On monday..which is sooo far away..we will go for one last attempt to Madison to the UW....I hope we can support him till then

I am sorry I am so sad today ...and sharing so much...

But today is a bad day...and things are falling apart around home and all we have is oursleves and our dogs...

I am bitter that money is so important...and bitter that my dog has come this far and we may not be able to provide any more help...

I never lose faith..and have felt the power of everyones postive wishes and prayers...now I jsut need a miracle :(

Stacey

Below is Bubba this morning resting in the sun..unfortunatly he only rested for a mere 15 minutes before the rest of the day became very difficult

post-1338-1142453412_thumb.jpg

Stacey, sweetie. Bless your heart. I feel so bad for all that you are going thru, so very bad.

Just this past fall, Piper got deathly sick with something (?) and then our older Cairn, Toto, went into kidney failure. We spent $1000+ in a month and that was with minimal testing, etc. I know how you feel about having to equate the life of your Bubba against $. You want to make the "right" decisions during major illnesses and unfortuantely, not too many people have thousands and thousands of $ to spend.

I urge you to contact UW and tell them your story. Being a teaching hospital, I would think they would be able to help you. At least they might be able to set up a payment plan. Considering the severity of Bubba's illness and all that he has gone thru thus far, I would be very surprised if they DIDN'T do something to help. If you don't get a "yes" from the first person you speak with there, don't give up. Keep going up the chain of command until you exhaust every avenue. I would beg, cry, whatever it takes.

Your Bubba reminds me so much of my Piper. This is breaking my heart. :(

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

And I hurt for you too. If you can't get answers or help from UW, try the Veterinary Hospital at the University of Minnesota. It doesn't look much further away from your home, and they are awesome. Maybe they can help through a study or teaching situation - my cat got three years of care from them on a study of kidney problems.

We're thinking about you and hoping the best for your pup.

Kathryn

Your post today just broke my heart. I can't begin to imagine all that you must be feeling and going through right now but ever since I first started reading this thread I wondered what the financial cost was going to be. If you would PM me your address, I would be more than willing to donate some money to try and help you and your family out. Bubba has come too far for us to give up on him now.

Please know that I am thinking of you and your family and I am glad that you found this forum so that you will have a place to vent your feelings and frustrations. I think that everyone here is totally in love with their dogs and although some of us have never been in the situation that you are in, we all can sympathize with you and offer some words of encouragement and some prayers to try and help you through it. Please, come here any time you need a friend and know that we are all rooting for Bubba and really praying for you and your family. You are Bubba's angel and I am sure that he knows how much you are doing to try and get him well. God Bless you. :halo:

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Stacey, I don't even know how to begin to tell you how sorry I am for all that you are going through, let alone what Bubba is going through.

Bubba is so tremendously blessed with such adoring, loving, caring parents and I truly believe that he knows how much you love him. This all just saddens me so much.

It's times like this that I realize how much this group has come to mean to me. Each Cairn's problems and triumphs, I believe, are felt by all of us. Please know I continue to pray for you and for Bubba. I wish my words were more eloquent.

That picture of Bubba is breaking my heart! What a difficult thing for you to go through.

Stacey, I can't blame you for being bitter. I once did a study on end of life issues and the inadequacies of health insurance and it upset me to know that money can dictate your fate. Please be strong. I hope your family remains strong for you, too.

It's a hard struggle you are going through. I understand your pain. It is difficult to weigh resources vs. health.

I wish you peace and strength.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Archived