CairnTalk

Jake update

jakesmomma

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puppy kisses!!! YAY!!!! I'm SO glad to hear that.

Cindy, just by way of background the vet I had with my first Cairn told me to use it when Ginger was having diarrhea problems. The last year of her life she lived on that stuff and was just in pig heaven every time I took the container out of the refrigerator.

As far as the measurements go, I use about 1/2 cup of rice - let that boil until it's almost done, say about 10 minutes or so. Then I crumble up about 1/2 pound of hamburger into the boiling water. The meat cooks up very quickly. Boil it until you can see all of the meat is done, no redness. Then I just put it in a colander and smoosh up the hamburger clumps more finely.

When I serve it I usually put some in a small microwaveable bowl, cover it with water and just nuke it for about 20-30 second to get the chill of the 'fridge out of it.

As I said, the Shepherd next door got fixed about a month ago and wouldn't eat and had loose stools and Auntie Joanne went into her stash of frozen ground beef and cooked her up the hamburger/rice special. Sheba is a really finicky eater and they couldn't believe how she lapped that stuff up.

I hope that helps. It was one of the things I had stored in my memory bank from my first Cairn and when Scully had diarrhea or wasn't feeling well that always went over well and stopped the diarrhea.

All those positive thoughts and prayers worked!! YEAH!!

And, of course, you must have a very dedicated vet-can't forget him/her!!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Good news always makes me smile. A dedicated vet, lots of prayers, positive thoughts and energy.....all came together.

Yea for Jake! What a tough little guy he is!! I know that he will be as glad to be home as you will be to have him home! Can't wait to see pics! After all the worrying I have done, I feel like he is my own!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Soooo very glad to hear that Jake is so much improved and puppy kisses and nips on the ear are a very good sign! Keep getting better Jake! Duffy and Miki send you lots of positive woofs.

Mike

JAKE UPDATE-YAY!:

JoAnne, I made some of your hamburger/rice combo & took it to Jake this morning. I only had about 5 minutes to spend with him because I had a meeting for work, but I was discouraged because the vet said he wasn't eating as much & I WANT HIM HOME!!! He loved the concoction (snarfed it right up) but vomited it up later. So, the vet went back to the IAMS puppy food, which he's tolerating very well. I think the vomiting was because of my cooking skills (or lack thereof!), not the food itself.

Also, HE POOPED TODAY!!! They've taken the IV out, drew some more blood because the sample sent yesterday wasn't enough, and I should have him home by this time tomorrow evening. He was SO excited to see me this morning, he actually whined and cried like a puppy should. I couldn't wait to see him this evening, but unfortunately I was in a car accident on the way there. I'm fine, but my bumper/rear door is a mess (I drive a Toyoto RAV-4). Of course, I was hit by an uninsured driver. Just my luck! I don't think I care though, I just can't wait to bring my little boy home.

Could someone please tell me how to post pics so they show when I post? JoAnne tried to explain it to me, but it didn't work.

I do have some great 35mm pics of him, but I'll get some good ones tomorrow with my digital.

THANK YOU!!!! (I know that's the equivalent of shouting, but I am very grateful to all your prayers & support. I do believe they worked!)

Cindy

Oh my....Thank God you weren't hurt in the accident. And good thing Jake wasn't with you! When it rains it pours, eh? Well good things will be in the future and I can just picture the celebration at your household when Jake finally comes home!

I'm not all that intelligent when it comes to posting pictures....I've spent a fare amount of time in the testing forum :whistle: Sorry I can't help in that department but there are many here who can. Hopefully we'll be seeing your pics soon.

Guest mrskti

CIndy let me know if you cant figure out the pic posting and I'd be glad to post some for you if you just email them to me.

Glad your accident wasn't more serious.

I am so sorry about your accident, hopefully your insurance has a lower deductable to meet if you are hit by an uninsured driver (ours does). I am very glad that it wasn't more serious.

I am so excited for little Jake! Everyday gets better and better. Can't wait to hear how he is doing today!!!!! Whining and crying for you is SUCH a big improvement from not even wanting to lift his head!! Give him lots of extra love and kisses from all of us at Cairn Talk!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

HE'S HOME!!!!

Picked Jake up from the vet's a little while ago. Got him set up in the kitchen with his kennel, lots of newspaper, food & water. Now, he's whining to get out!

We have to take it easy for a few days, but I do believe we're going to make it.

Thanks for all your prayers. I'll try to get some digital photos tonight if someone will send me their email address. I just can't figure out how to post them.

Cindy

I'm glad he's home too! Bet you're gonna look at each other differently now. Sometimes adversity strengthens relationships. I know. Wes was in the hospital 4 days in June. He's been home over a month and he never stops kissing us.

And we're so grateful he's back.

Welcome home, Jake!!!!

Archived