CairnTalk

Scottish0177

Scottish0177

Hi.

I have been a longtime lurker on the site and love reading about everyones experiences with their Cairn pups, older dogs and indeed the senior dogs.

One thing stands out, and that is we all think an awful lot of our partners in crime and wouldnt be without them enriching our lives.

Thought i would introduce our wee boy Ghillie. A very confident pup already at 12 weeks and a heartbreaker to boot. He is also a whirling dervish in disguise!! With way to much energy.

Was very very lucky to get him and he is already a big part of the family

I had a Cairn as a boy, and we lost our 15 year old Cairn Maggie about 8 months ago.

Anyhoo, thought i would say hello

Kindest to everyone from Scotlandsignal-2023-09-16-22-14-23-306-1.thumb.jpg.9448e37cfae092fc299cb810e023b8fe.jpg20230916_161825.thumb.jpg.b4d17355be2ab171d74b6e94f6bd34f3.jpg

Scott

Edited by Scottish0177
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

• Scottish0177 changed the title to Scottish0177

Welcome to you and your sweet Ghillie …what an adorable pup🐾🐾💕

Being that you are from Scotland do you see a lot of Cairns and Scotties ? Here in Alberta seeing a Scottie and Cairn is actually fairly rare, at least in my experience. I absolutely adore both breeds.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hi Ghillie! What a typical 12 week cairn pup you are! Bright eyes show that lively mind at work already! Love that sturdy little furry body - ready for anything!!

My Angus has Scottish background  - grandmother from Scotland via Vermont in US.

Welcome! 

Hi ,

Apologies Sam I Am, forgot too quote you’re comment in this reply, but I am responding too you lol😗

Thanks for your comment ref Ghillie, adorable right enough and from a long line of Champions so we will see how he progresses in the looks dept once his head catches up with his ears!!

As a boy I remember cairns being quite a popular breed of small dog and you would often meet one out on walks , but news articles recently have reported a dramatic reduction in numbers over the last few years, with a few stories reporting the demise of the breed if trends continue.

obviously any numbers being reported are from professional sources such as the kennel club with owners registering their dogs details but they have still reported a steady decline.  In 1989 there were 4000 pups registered, in 2013 it was 1085 and in 2022 it was only 492

unfortunately the same trend continues for the Scottie and westie with folks seeming to prefer the trendier breeds of the day ( labradoodles etc). 

think it’s also a generational thing too as the amount of older people I have spoken to remember with great fondness their own Cairn, or the next doors Cairn or the Cairn their Granny had when they were growing up so the breed definitely sticks in peoples minds of a certain generation. Perhaps folks these days just aren’t exposed to the breed because the numbers just aren’t there to ever meet and interact with one. I know that when we do come across another Cairn, the conversation usually starts with…I’ve always had Cairns, wouldnt want any other breed type.

I know a lot of the breeders in the UK are quite wary of who their pups go too, and the majority of litters can end up going to individuals who show or want to breed themselves to keep a particular line going, which is why your everyday joe tends to be overlooked in favour of people who have had Cairns before and move in particular circles. It’s a shame as this obviously has the knock on effect of minimising the breeds everyday exposure as a fun loving and devoted pet.

Although we wanted Ghillie as a pet first and foremost, we were informed by the breeder that their are only 2 KC registered males in Scotland that are used to breed with, Ghillie would be the 3rd if we ever wanted decided to go down that path. (something we have never ever thought about , but something that obviously would be beneficial to the breeds numbers…no pressure on us then!).

Fingers crossed that the trend is only a blip on the radar as we all know the joy of owning a Cairn and the truth in the adage “the best wee friend”

Best wishes to all

scott

Edited by Scottish0177
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hillscreek said:

Hi Ghillie! What a typical 12 week cairn pup you are! Bright eyes show that lively mind at work already! Love that sturdy little furry body - ready for anything!!

My Angus has Scottish background  - grandmother from Scotland via Vermont in US.

Welcome! 

Hi and thanks for your reply. That’s great that you can trace Angus back to Scotland and his route to the US….with a name like Angus, couldn’t really be genes from anywhere else!

Yes those eyes are definitely bright, and if you listen carefully you can hear those cogs turning and figuring us human owners playthings out. I predict trouble.

Thanks again

take care

Scott, Milly and Ghillie

Ghillie, you handsome man!  Can’t wait to hear about your adventures.

Try not to give Molly and Scott to hard a time.  Let them figure a few things out so they won’t be totally in the weeds :)

That look is saying .... i reckon ive sussed this crate lock out...just push away and slide.....dad, you just go through to living room and dont worry about me, 20230915_170042.thumb.jpg.b1bf58fdfaf4a1ad3d421e7f2c21c1d1.jpgi will be fine on my own.....your the best

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dogcoat lady said:

Ghillie, you handsome man!  Can’t wait to hear about your adventures.

Try not to give Molly and Scott to hard a time.  Let them figure a few things out so they won’t be totally in the weeds :)

Thankyou for your reply

Well one of his adventures (despite our concerns) has been visiting my wifes dad in the dog friendly palliative care hospital. He was an absolute star. Modified his behaviour straight away and was very very calm and extremely gentle, like he knew people around him were poorly. No crying, barking, just silent the whole time. He started at bottom of feet, crawled his way up slowly and shyly,.gave john a kiss on the hand then settled in and went too sleep.

The photos are with the permission of john and his wife.

Therapet in the making lol

Scott20230916_142335.thumb.jpg.93d489b2c2bbf796a07dfc6fdf28a785.jpg20230916_142239.thumb.jpg.98f9e25a8ccaf1ec888dbb16d1088ff9.jpg

• Like 3

How utterly sweet of this wee boy!

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Welcome and thank you for sharing Ghillie with us and his adventures. From the photo I can practically feel the small, still, warm weight of a puppy chin resting on a leg and it is like a weighted blanket from heaven. What a charmer!

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Its like this dad, you insist on making me wear a jumper as its only 5 degrees C then your going to have too carry me cause i aint moving.

You cant expect me too meet friends like this, surely??20230918_083906.thumb.jpg.1c67c59c13f07cb3b939ab5342c5b7bd.jpg

• Like 4

Hey Dad didn't anyone remind you I am growing my own waterproof, wind proof coat!!! And in a decent respectable color too -what's with this orange? 

I just want to kiss that furry little face.💕🐾🐾

Unusually for October it is 20 degrees c in Scotland today so Ghillie catching the rays in typical cairn yoga "legs out stretch"...remember to breath and Sssttrreettcchhhhhhhh.20231001_102812.thumb.jpg.43c241758142947db8e1ac3481fa997e.jpg

• Like 3