CairnTalk

Please keep my Zoe in your prayers-

Guest posting as: pookiegirl

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking of Zoe all day long. Are there any updates on the dear puppy?

I am praying for them.

Posey :(

Oh, Barbara, I am so sorry to hear this. I will pray for your little Zoe. Keep us posted.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

There's little I can add except be strong and think of good things. It's obvious the hospital and your vet does not have any answers for you at this point and it seems to me they are preparing you for a worst case scenerio...easier to give good news after one is prepared for bad than it is to give bad news to someone who is awaiting good.....just something to think about.

Just know that there are many people on this forum who care about you and Zoe and our prayers are adding up.

Guest Stacey Roy

I am so sorry to hear that your wonderful dog is so sick. I can't even imagine how you must be suffering. You are doing all you can for your baby girl, and some things in this life are not in our control. I am praying that she makes a complete recovery, and that you find the strength to deal with all that is happening right now.

Hi Barbara:

I am adding my prayers to the many being sent for Zoe. I know she has the very best possible chance with your love and the fine vets at Tufts. It is so much harder for you right now with the loss of your Mother as well. All the best.

Smokey and Ghillie's Mom (I'm Barbara too)

Guest Darcy's mom

Sending thoughts and prayers your way for Zoe. and for your strength to stay strong at this difficult time. Wish there was more I could do or say to have Zoe healthy and well. Please keep us posted on her progress.

I keep checking to see how Zoe is doing. She is in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure this is very difficult but hopefully everyones love will help.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

I'm so sorry that you have to go through an ordeal like this. You must try to keep an positive outlook in these trying times. We have kept you in our thoughts and prayers and will continue to do so. Hoping and praying for the best - Toto and Darsey

Barbara,

You and Zoe are in my thoughts and prayers. Cairns are fighters and Zoe is not that old. I pray that she can fight and overcome this illness.

MikeC

Hi Barbara:

I just wanted you to know that the boys and I have been thinking about you all day.

Barb, Ghillie, and Smokey

UPDATE-

Thanks again for all the prayers and support.

The doctor called around 4:30 pm yesterday, the liver biopsy results are not back yet.

She hopes they will be back this morining.

Zoe remains stable, no improvement but not any worse.

Please continue to keep us in your toughts and prayers, as we are praying for a miracle ourselves.

Barbara

Hi Barbara:

We have all our toes and fingers crossed for Zoe. I am glad to hear she is stable. Take care and keep us posted.

Ghillie, Smokey, and Barb

I too have been constantly checking in to see how Zoe is doing. My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you and Zoe.

Barbara.... I haven't read any of the replies to your original post so I don't know of any updated information about your "child," but I wanted to expresses my prayers & good wishes for you in this difficult time.

UPDATE-

The vet called late Friday afternoon. It was another very long day of waiting.

The liver biopsy was negative.

She said they still do not know what is going on with Zoe, she is a perplexing case.

Some of the diagnosises the are considering are:

1. Leptovirus: even though Zoe is vaccinated & it usually is transmitted more in the Spring through the urine of animals such as skunks and raccoons and other samll animals, they are still not 100% sure how this disease os trams,oted. Lab results are pending

2. Pancreatitis- Although her liver biopsy was normal, her liver enzymes are very elevated. The vet says the pancreas sits next to the liver. When it is inflammed it causes the liver to produce increased enzymes.

3. Possible gastrointestinal disease of unknown etiology (cause)- If everything else is ruled out, and her condition deterioates they will do exploratory surgery. They will take biopsies of different sections of her intestine and a deeper piece of her liver.

On the cautiously positive side, one of her liver enzymes has decreased, the ALT. While all the others, especially the alkaline phosphate remain high.

Her protein levels, alubumin and globulin. are very low. The vet attributes this to the protiens leaking into the free fluid in her abdomen.

For now, they will continue to treat her as they have been with IV Fluids with added protein, antibiotics, IV Pepcid to decrease the chances of developing a gastric ulcer and morphine for pain

We are able to visit her every night from 5 - 8 pm. They allow us to bring her food such as roast chicken or turkey. However, she will not eat or drink for us.

All she wante to do is go outside on the leash. We think she just want to get in the car and go home. She cannot understand why her humans do not get the hint.

It is bittersweet to see her. Her abdoominal girth is so big, like a watermelon.

But she insists on attempting to strut as though things were per usual, hopping on three legs due to the IV.

Her spirit is indominable, hopefully, this will factor into a possible recovery.

Please keep praying and keeping her in your thoughts as I do believe they are helping are little girl.

With much thanks and appreciation,

Barbara

Oh Barbara...thank you for the update. I know I'm not the only forum member who is concerned about Zoe and kept checking this thread waiting for some news.

I guess all you can do now is take it one step at a time, pray and hope some of these tests shed a light on what is happening with Zoe and how it can be cured. The negative liver biopsy is encouraging...keep the faith and know we're here for you.

Sandy

Barbara

Thanks for the update.

If she is willing to walk with you that is a good sign. Try not to worry too much about the eating, when Smokey was on pain meds he wouldn't eat either.

It is very hard to see them in so much discomfort but I know my vet thinks it is really good for them to have you visit. Although you do have to leave them they know you are coming back.

Thanks goodness for the negative biopsy. Now they just have to narrow it down and treat for the right thing.

You are doing everything possible and it sounds like the vet is on the ball. We are rooting for Zoe

Barb, Ghillie, and Smokey

Barbara and Zoe,

I just got a chance to catch up on the board. I am so sorry to hear about all the things going on with Zoe. I am grateful you are taking time to keep us posted, because I was reading the board posts like a book to make sure I didn't miss any information! Abe and his family will keep you in our prayers and thoughts!

abe's mom

Barbara,

Like everyone else here, Zoe is never far from my mind. It seems what happens to one of us, happens to all of us. Please know we are keeping Zoe and you and your family in our thoughts. I think it's a good sign she wanted to go outside!

Thank you for the update on Zoe. I'm hopefull at hearing she wants to go for a walk. Hang in there, Cairns are tough little cookies and I know we are are pulling for her to be okay.

Archived