CairnTalk

Adding to the family?

Luke Bizzy

And add to the clock with something cuddly like a teddy. Daisy - such a sweet name - will get over it but she will miss her siblings for a while. It goes to your heart especially at night but recommend you be brave. Of course she is a cairn no matter how small and mournful at present so be careful she doesn't chew up the clock!

• Like 2

On 7/4/2017 at 7:22 PM, Luke Bizzy said:

Well, so far so good. She's a lovely, loving little ball of fur. Titan got a little chippy one time when she got up into his grill, so we're going to have to work on that a little. He's not used to being around happy, curious little pups. I'll post up some videos one we get home tomorrow. We're all four cooped up in our motorhome right now and it's a little hard for her to be video-genic at the moment. More later. Thanks for all your interest.

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

What a beautiful girl.  We're on our third generation of Cairns, having added Nelly, a retired breeder, last August and then Max, a rescue on January the 25th of this year.  As much as they love our company, there's just something a fellow Cairn adds that we can't.  Max and Nelly are definitely partners in crime!

Edited by tlwtheq
Didn't add text
  • Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Small update. Daisy is adjusting pretty well to her new home. She sleeps in her crate beside our bed, and sleeps well. No crying or barking. During the day she stays in her little pen in the den with us. She's very consistent in hitting the pee pad during the day, no.1 and no.2. Good girl!!

We're still working on her and Titan's relationship, slowly. She wants him to play with her so much but he just acts grumpy, snarling and snapping when she gets too playful around him. We let them come in contact off and on during the day in short stints, closely supervised.

Notice in the picture the little bell on top of her harness. It's so we can know she's at our feet. She's the same color as our tile floor!!

More later.

IMG_1054.JPG

• Like 6

Glad to hear Daisy is adjusting well. Titan will eventually enjoy his new playmate but a rambunctious puppy takes a bit to get used to.

Idaho Cairns

" We're still working on her and Titan's relationship, slowly. She wants him to play with her so much but he just acts grumpy, snarling and snapping when she gets too playful around him. We let them come in contact off and on during the day in short stints, closely supervised. "

Curious about your thinking concerning the inevitable relationship these two dogs will finally have to exist in.  Titan's response is probably normal as is the pup's but I wonder if keeping them separated doesn't delay whatever the ultimate interplay is going to be.  Establishment of Alpha position is important and dogs, young and old, understand instinctively that it is necessary.  Unless Titan has actually hurt the pup physically, it is probably better to just let whatever is to be happen--after all reality is that these two are going to be together for a long, long time.

• Like 2

Mike, I can totally understand your fear of a helpless puppy meeting an older dog. I was a bag of nerves the first few days also. But I soon realized that the sounds  that emanated from both Rosie our Scottie and Sam our Cairn, sounded scary...real scary, was Terrier play and rough housing. I realized also that Rosie would dole out a nip when the kid was getting to smart and impudent, which would be followed by Sam sounding like he had a leg removed, followed by him once again launching himself at Rosie . I also can see now when Rosie has had enough of this youngster bugging her, and we let her go to a place he isn't allowed. 

It does get better and yes I would still supervise, I still do also. But so far so good.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

54 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

...the sounds  that emanated from both Rosie our Scottie and Sam our Cairn, sounded scary...real scary, was Terrier play and rough housing...

I don't know if this applies, but when watching our dogs play (roughly) at the dog run, we're always impressed with how fierce it can sometimes look and sound, specially with those flashing teeth - and yet, large or small, the pups always come back for more!:) 

I remind myself of the kids in the same park roughhousing while playing sports... tackling and jumping on each other, etc., but all in fun, having a great time. 

One difference is that with dogs it can suddenly, unexpectedly turn serious, so we owners always monitor the play.

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I agree with all the above. Dogs can look and sound awful while playing. Wether or not they are adult or puppy. It has been my experience that the younger are usually the rougher of the two. The younger ones don't know there own strength yet and thats where the fierce growls and nips can come from the older dog. It is a teaching tool only, meanwhile the uprights sit and cringe thinking the young one is going to get hurt. Nine times out of ten, it's the older dog that will get truly hurt. 

I have a slide show of my dog playing with a black Pomeranian, They both were young about 6 or 7 months in this. I wish it was a video so you could here how fierce it sounded. There were the growls and sounds like a big dog fight. There were also some squalls of pain. The squalls were just to let the other know "hey your getting a little to rough" Neither dog had any broken skin or injuries when it was over. It lasted about 30 minutes and both dogs took a nap together when it was over. There are a few other pictures too.

• Like 4

Idaho Cairns

Cairns can and do play rough--particularly when there is a young one and that "I wanna be the Alpha Dog!" thing gets going.  If you just came upon one of these bouts you would swear that blood would flow any minute but it is all play with a serious challenge and response going on.  It has been interesting over the years to watch our Cairns continue to spar but with much less enthusiasm than in this video when our little Bonnie Belle was about a year old--then she was determined to best her "big sister" Sammi and was relentless in her effort.
Dogs have to work these sort of things out on their own--certainly with some human interaction when necessary but generally the worst that happens is one or the other, or both, end up spitting out tufts of ill gotten hair from their opponents.
Here is an example of a typical Cairn interaction--it is all about dominance and "pecking order" for these girls.

• Like 5

I've told this before... One of the regulars at the dog run was a large, docile, senior Doberman. One evening she was relaxing, down on all fours when Ruffy decided she was fair game for a challenge.  He started loudly barking right in her face without letting up. Just when I decided that enough was enough and it was time to call him off, the Doberman, arching her neck, reached over, and with one slow, (non-menacing) move, grabbed him by the back of the neck, before I could react. Ruffy immediately froze and completely flattened out. She had corrected him, he got the message and she let go right away! Ruffy got up, shook himself off and trotted away, his dignity barely intact!?

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

That's such a great video Idaho and so typical!

Like Ruffy Angus experienced being put in place. When a youngster he went to mess with a much older JRT. Growling and jumping in her face and generally being rude. She looked, waited a minute, lifted her lip showing those pearly whites and let out a small deep growl. Angus immediately quit fooling around.Rolled on his back and submitted to being smelled all over. JRT steps back, Angus gets up and shakes and that was that. He never pushed her boundaries again! Many a hunt  they went on together in the years that followed.

Dogs do tend to sort things out. Especially older and younger together.

• Like 2

Update:

Working on paper training and she's doing pretty well, about 90% accuracy. Has had several zoomie events.:D So cute. 

She's got the biting, gnawing thing down pretty good. Have to watch her constantly to keep her from snacking on electric cords. We work her out as much as we can. Tired puppy = good puppy. 

She and Titan have tied up once and had to pull him off her. Happened when we put them both in the yard together and she makes a bee line straight for him .  Pretty scary. We were afraid he would really hurt her, as little as she is. She's used to being around other dogs, Titan, not so much. He doesn't know how to handle an energetic tiny tornado like Daisy.

• Like 3

I feel your pain LB :thumbsup: I had forgotten how much work these little energizer kids are. Although wouldn't change it for the world. For me having the garden hose on jet stream really makes both of our dogs pay attention in a nano second. So when things just get too lively and Rosie is on the hunt for a pesky Cairn kid, a few fast squirts on the ground make her cool her jets. Also it makes him pay attention, stopping me from having to run after him like some demented mother!

I don't know about your pup but Sam does not know the what tired mean! He was the alpha pup of the litter and it is obvious that it takes a lot for him to submit to his older sister.

In the end both need to know I am the alpha B in this house.:evil:

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I second Terrier Lover's suggestion:  The hose  is a great deterrent/attention-getter when the dogs are outside.  Inside the house we sometimes use a squirt gun - not the turbo-powered things they sell for kids now, just an old fashioned squirt gun with a range of maybe 2-3 yards.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We woke up to a little surprise this morning. Daisy at 17 weeks and finally enough calcium to get one up and now, one to go!

IMG_1092.jpg

Edited by Luke Bizzy
  • Like 8

Idaho Cairns

Yeah, I kinda like the "one ear down" look myself--it has that raggedy butt, "Our Gang" flavor that fits the Cairn attitude to a "T"!  I'd be inclined to enjoy the ruffian look until nature takes over and the left ear coordinates with the right.

• Like 3

Hooray, we've made some progress in Daisy and Titan's relationship! We've been letting them sniff around each other a few times a day just to let them get use to one another. Today during one of the periods, they begin rough-housing with one another, chasing around the den. When it got a little too intense, we separated them. We feel like it's a breakthrough of sorts. There's hope. Today, Daisy's left ear has perked up, too.

IMG_0054.jpg

• Like 7