CairnTalk

Adding to the family?

Luke Bizzy

I have been thinking lately of adding another Cairn to keep our Titan company. He's 7 y/o and been with us for 5. Wondering if it would be too traumatic for Titan in his "middle age". Probably will be a female. Any one have a thought about (or experience with) adding another with that many years apart?

(ps: Shhhh! I haven't mentioned it to my wife yet!)

• Like 1

Go for it!  At seven, Titan may be ready for a friend to liven up his days and I bet he'd help enormously with training the younger pup.  

And we promise we won't tell your wife.:)

• Like 2

Idaho Cairns

Yes we have--twice and both times the match up worked well.  We introduced a Cairn puppy (female) to our older (9year old) female Cairn and they got on famously.  We think the pup made the older dog much more active.
After the older dog passed at 16 we introduced a new puppy (female) to the surviving Cairn and had exactly the same results.  In both cases the dogs bonded early and totally.  Never had problem one with the older dog.
It has been so successful that we believe Cairns are much happier when they have canine companionship.  Cairns require more than humans to make their busy dog lives complete--they need running mates.

• Like 6

I've had times with multiple dogs and times with just one dog. Without doubt, it seems to me anyway, two (or sometimes more) is better than one alone. Dogs are pack animals. They need another dog as well as a human being in the pack. I'd say go for it. Titan will bring the youngster along and teach him what's what. At least that has been my experience with older and younger. Good luck.

• Like 4

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the encouragement from you all. I'm trying to find a breeder now with a wheaten female that would be available soon. Here in NW Alabama we don't have any real close by. Will update the forum as this moves along. Thanks again for responding!

Shhhh. Two is great ... when are you gonna break the news to the Mrs.?  Maybe today?  Happy Mothers Day!  Haha that would be cute. :)

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

2 hours ago, Dempsy's Mom said:

Shhhh. Two is great ... when are you gonna break the news to the Mrs.?  Maybe today?  Happy Mothers Day!  Haha that would be cute. :)

We have just gotten into the preliminary discussion stage. However it is proceeding. Once we get up with a breeder with the pup we want, things will heat up exponentially in the excitement department. I'm there already! :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Updating our quest, we found this little girl a few days ago and have put the deposit down for her. We're so excited to be able to add to our little family! If all goes well, we'll pick her up from her breeder on or right after 7/4. Her coat right now is actually a little redder than the video shows. We're wading through a list of about 30 names from which we will likely choose hers. 

We're happy, happy, happy, as you might guess. Will pass on updates as the day approaches.

IMG_8197..3gp

Edited by Luke Bizzy
  • Like 7

I'm SOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!  Can't wait for updates, pics, videos, stories . . . .:whistle:

• Like 1

Good luck with your new little companion. You will have a good time but puppies can also be a chore.

• Like 3

Rats my iPad won't load the image. Will try on our laptop. I love all Cairn puppies. Have fun with the new kid.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

So chubby . . . so cute . . . want one . . . :wub:

As for names:

Found a good Gaelic one -  Sorcha (means 'radiant').  Or how about Mairi ('rebellious woman')?  Or, if you want to be formal:  Mistress Cairnella of Bizzy.:P

• Like 4

:wub::wub:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Poppy for a red head, or let her tell you her name herself when she has been with you a little while.

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

Oh how I remember the excitement of waiting for a Cairn pup to be ready to leave the litter.  Watching a video, over and over, seeing the breeder pick up "little Tia" (Bonnie's pre-here name) and watching her hop off to claim some tiny stuffed toy the entire litter was playing with!  It is a great time and so very anxious--then the day comes and it just gets better and better.
I envy you the anticipation, the wondering, and the satisfaction that is coming your way soon.  
Thanks for sharing with us.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 5

Seeing that cute little pot belly reminded me of a post I saw from England years ago... One of the pups in a new litter was bigger, rounder, heavier than all the rest so they named her "Fatty"!?

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thankfully cuteness isn't a crime...

Very happy to share with everyone , as her breeder is so kind to send these photos along the way until the time we can go to pick her up. July 4th is going to be really special for us this year!

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, I'm having severe puppy envy right now; I can't believe how cute she is.......I want one.:crybaby:

I have been giving a lot of thought to adding another Cairn to our family.  Maisie is 4 yrs old now and I know that she would love having a little brother.  Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future.  In the meantime, I will get my puppy fix watching and hearing about your new little one's adventures.

• Like 2

We certainly weren't real speedy about adding a buddy for Titan. He's been the OC for 5 years so it's going to be an adjustment for him as well as us. We've most alway had 2 until recently. Looking forward to the addition. Someone else in the forum, I think, has one with a name we've been thinking about: Fiona. Our Scottish DIL loved it!