CairnTalk

Concerns about my Sweet Girl

gd4

Thank you, all. She is so precious. We went to see her last night at ER and she has a feeding tube. She looked better and has made some progress but still refuses to take food. They are trying, we are trying.

I pray for better news today.

Gina

Any news from the vets what is making her ill?

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hello,

No news beyond the recovering from surgery. She continued to have the regurgitation and diarrhea started yesterday morning. There were biopsies taken during the surgery on intestines and liver. However, the liver biopsy is believed to be benign/age-related. Therefore, no news as to her issue. I am not sure if she had gastric upset and this brought her into the surgery and then the diarrhea started from the meds/surgery. I am baffled, and simply so upset. She refuses to eat for us. I don't know what to do and am running out of money. My heart is heavy. She is regaining strength, more alert yesterday and look clear in her eyes despite being on pain meds that sedate. She is really trying :(  and I know she wants to be with us.

Gina

Did you mention Addison's disease to the clinic? Just curious. A human friend of mine has the disease and it took the doctors close to two years to diagnose her. They were totally puzzled, thought she had some form of cancer, but when one of the Drs suggested Addisons  and they ran the tests, they discovered she had the disease, put her on the appropriate meds, her recovery was amazing. 

I am keeping you in my thoughts and hope the outcome is a good one. Be strong Trinity.

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

good news about the liver and sounds like her mood is improving. the intestinal biopsy may provide some answers. I think you are quite right that she wants to pull through and get back to life with you. I guess the vets have already considered pancreatitis. I hope she has hit an upward slope and gives you more encouraging signs very soon. it is terrible to see our loved ones all hooked up to medical tubes and full of pain meds, and I hope trinity can get rid of some of the apparatus very soon. 

• Like 2

Yes, I did mention Addison's disease but our vet didn't feel that it was due to a number of reasons. However, I will mention it again to the ER doc.

The update this morning is she still has diarrhea and the metronidazole antibiotic was increased to stop. The feeding tube food is being check to see if it is starting to move through intestine and it is doing so based on what they aspirate in amounts checked. The ultrasound shows inflammation in her intestines but fluid is passing though. She still will not eat. They remain hopeful but more time is needed and this is also a concern. :(

Gina

Pepper and I are so upset about all of this and poor Trinity and what you are going through.  I thought Pancreatitis, too, but it must have been ruled out right?  We are all pulling for you and please keep us updated!!!

• Like 2

Pepper's Mom

Just reading about all that's been going on with Trinity and it really upsets me.  I particularly hate when ER's and Vet's are not forthcoming with information.  They know how much the parents are grieving and yet they still fail to update them about everything that is going on.  I am so sorry that you and your husband are going through this and even more sorry for little Trinity.  I am praying that you get some answers soon and that Trinity begins to heal and get back on her feet quickly.

Lot's of prayers coming your way and huge hugs to all of you.

• Like 3

When jock had diarrhea off and on for weeks and they tried metronidazole to try to stop it, (it wasn't working) they switched him to an antibiotic called Tylosin. Within 12 hrs it totally stopped . It does not compromise the liver and dogs can be on it for a long time. Perhaps ask the vets. I know I am knocking all kinds of stuff out to you but I just want to provide as much of my personal experiences out to you as I can.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 3

Pancreatitis symptoms....

1. A painful abdomen. This might be one of the first symptoms you notice and if you are doing the DIY physical exam at home your dog will grunt in pain when you push up on her belly. If her belly is in pain she might have a hunched over back.

2. Vomiting. There are a lot of things that can cause vomiting but if you follow these simple steps, and it does not stop, you need to have her checked out right away.

3. Loss of appetite. Missing a single meal is not a big deal for most dogs. If your dog normally eats fine, and has loss of appetite with any other symptoms of pancreatitis, take her in for an exam.

4. Depression. Your dog is in pain.

5. A swollen abdomen.

6. Dehydration. You can check this by lifting up her skin. If it sinks back slowly she is already dehydrated.

7. Diarrhea. This may be mild and may not even be present in all dogs.

8. Fever. You may not even notice this symptom, but you should keep a thermometer in your first aid kit. Check this but watch for the other symptoms first.

Sometimes the disease is so severe that the organs around the pancreas are “autodigested,” or destroyed by the digestion enzymes leaked from the pancreas. Dogs might also have heart problems, breathing problems, or a disease called DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulopathy) where all the organs are destroyed and the dog starts bleeding out of her nose and eyes.

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

Thank you, all. I don't know what I would do without you all, here. My heart is just broken and I am feverishly doing research on med help, along with planning for next stages when the money runs out. I know that our nearby low cost clinic can provide management if we no longer can afford our Vet. We will have to remove her from the ER when it hits 48 hours so time is of essence.

I have left word with the doc on Tylosin. I will see what they have to say in this area. It would be a miracle because I feel like this is the major problem. Everything else appears to be okay. Except, of course, her lack of desire to eat which they hope to see before we bring her home.

The unknown is what is frustrating and driving me insane. My husband keeps telling me to do something, get off the computer, get my mind off of this but I cannot. I pray for a miracle gift for my birthday which is tomorrow :(

Gina

• Like 1

Our vet used Tylosin a lot as it works so well. It's really an amazing drug with little side effects and is also an anti inflammatory. https://www.vetinfo.com/canine-diarrhea-treatment-tylan.html

also wanted to add that our vet has the powder in capsule form so no issues in giving it to  the dog. We have used it also on Rosie with out any side effects. To me it's an amazing drug. 

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

I know what it is like to want something to happen and not be able to do anything. it is especially hard with animals because we know they cannot understand what is happening, and we want to do something every minute to reassure them in the ways they might understand, which is usually just touching them and talking to them, usually what they don't need in these circumstances. you get the idea that if you think hard and constantly about the problem something will tip your way, and you worry that if you think about something else or do something else it will be all your fault if something goes wrong. it is hard to get above it, but that is all delusion. getting better really does take time and there really is very little you can do apart from seeing her whenever you can and exploring your management options if you have to move her without bringing her home. it is good to work on the plan, but just think of Tiffany having the time and quiet and rest she needs. this could be an acute problem that she might recover from just with hydration and meds, and you could be on the right track already. the news from the surgery and from the biopsy is good, let's hope the next ones are good too. apart from being disgusted with your vets (no wonder), and not having a definitive answer to the cause (which is pretty common, and plenty of dogs recover with no explanation what was wrong with them), the trend is all in the right direction here, even though it is not going as quickly or as smoothly as we would all like. it is very, very hard, but go easy on yourself and try to be patient. your overall signs are good here. hold steady. 

• Like 9

you've done everything right so far, and you are getting results --little trinity is getting better. I know how tempting it is to want spectacular results for spectacular money, but sometimes all you get is the satisfaction from thinking how you would feel if you hadn't done it. trinity needed help and you went the distance to get her what she needed. give yourself a pat on the shoulder. I hope you get your girl home soon and also get some answers --but so far you are ruling out the right things, and that should feel good too, at least once you get trinity home safe and sound. 

• Like 5

Thank you for the well wishes!

Spoke with ER Doc this morning. She had a small setback last night. Some regurg and still will not eat. We are getting another update at 2:00 pm. At that time, we will decide how much longer today we will keep her and hopefully, work out a medical management plan at home. We simply cannot afford to keep her in ER. I am praying that this will all work out as we have spent so much money and love her so much.

Gina

• Like 2

Praying for a miracle to come your way. This has been so hard on you and Trinity. You have gone above and beyond for Trinity. It's time you got some help. Praying you get that help.

• Like 3