CairnTalk

Concerns about my Sweet Girl

gd4

I noticed the last few days that my little girl who turned 13 in October is not quite herself. She is still eating and drinking water, but is picky with her food and some treats. She feels a little lighter to me, lately, so she may have lost weight (I attributed this to age --- she was also small). She is sleeping more. And, she is not as playful or running around. We have recently experienced very cold weather in Chicago. I'm not sure how to pinpoint what the problem is and since the holiday is coming, I know it will be difficult to get in to see the Vet. Ideas? She is not vomiting or have potty issues in the house. Could it possibly be that she is suffering from arthritis due to the weather? Note: She does not appear to have difficulty walking but I noticed she acts like it may take her some time to settle into a sit position as if she is being mindful. She stays curled up in her little ball and sleeps. I know these guys are so tough, it's hard to know if they are really sick.

Gina

Edited by gd4
Additional Info

Sassy is such a mellow Cairn that I can't really give you a real life comparison, but she is coming up on 12 years old. It doesn't get as cold here in western Washington as it does in Illinois, but we still don't spend as much time outside as we do in warmer weather. If she were a puppy I would expect her to be bouncing off the walls, but as a 12 year old she seems much like your Cairn.

I wouldn't worry to much at this point. But do take her to the vet when you can. Arthritis is definitely a possibility as our little ones age, but it is something that can be treated. As for her eating habits, maybe she has become bored with food. Or maybe she has a cracked tooth. Get a full mouth x-ray to check that out.

I wish I could be more helpful.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I'm in the Chicago area too and Buffy goes through similar issues at this time of year.  I think this year has been particularly bad due to the drastic weather changes - warm and rainy to frigid cold and snow within a few days.  I know the weather has been hell on my sinuses, that's for sure!  Anyway, the fact that she seems to have trouble finding a comfortable sitting position makes me wonder if the problem is in her lower spine and/or hips.  Two other terrier mixes in my life have done this and required steroid injections (which worked great, by the way).  

I wouldn't worry too much just yet, but it would probably be a good idea to schedule a vet appointment in the near future to have her checked out.  Hope she improves and the two of you have a wonderful holiday!

• Like 1

Thank you both so much! Yes, I agree this cold weather plays havoc on humans and our babies. I, too, suffer from sinus issues right now! I am doing saline rinses which really do help and I also believe prevent colds to an extent at this busy time of year.

I made an appt. with our Vet this afternoon as I do not want to take chances over the holiday. She did eat a treat and bounced around a little while ago. Now, she is on the couch soaking in the sun by the window. I think it must be either teeth issues (she has terrible problems with gingivitis and gum issues despite care) or arthritis in her back end.

I really appreciate your responses and will keep you updated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All <3!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I just returned from the Vet. First, she gave my little girl a CBC and mini lab panel and main areas good and consistent with results performed in March. Doc stated that she had significant pain in her lower back and hips. She said that it was apparent that this was bothering her a lot. Vet prescribed Loxicom (NSAID) and Cerenia which is supposed to ease stomach and prevent vomiting as my pup appeared to have a little gastric distress and doc wanted to avoid upset. However, she did tell me if she has any stomach issues to stop the NSAID promptly. As always, I"m a little worried about giving her meds; especially because I cannot seem to get her to eat. She refused a treat so I gave the anti-nausea pill to her in turkey lunchmeat. I hope all works out okay. Nervous :)

Gina

So glad you got to see your vet. It is difficult to see our buddies in pain. I hope she will feel a bit better soon. I hate give meds also. But sometimes you have to give them a try. Do you know what the cause of the pain is? Arthritis? Snuggle and  keep warm together:hug:

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

A pat on the back to you for noticing an issue and taking care of it. I hope the treatment brings your little girl relief.

BTW what is your little girls name?

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Thank you. Her name is Trinity.

Sadly, things seem to be getting worse. I am waiting on a call from the Vet and hoping to get something resolved by day end before the holiday. After her first dose of meds last night, she woke up at 4:00 am and vomited, bright yellow frothy bile? She did again at 8:00 am and has proceeded to do so ever so often. All I can do is get her to drink water. She will not take treats or anything she likes. She has not eaten :( I have a call into the Vet and hope to hear back soon. Why does these things always happen around the times when holidays approach and Vets are closed! Thank goodness, her Vet is there today and on Monday. But, I'm worried about Saturday and Sunday. Emergency hospitals are so expensive and our visit yesterday wasn't cheap.

Bah humbug!

Gina

So sorry to read this... It is very worrying. Although she may refuse to drink water, be sure to at least offer it to try to prevent dehydration.  

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Account Deleted

NSAID can be very hard on the stomach, she may have a little upset stomach from them.  Best to hold them while waiting for the Vet and as Standford said, offer water frequently to prevent dehydration.  You may want to give the Cerenia first (If I remember right that is for the stomach) about 1 hour before the NSAID or pepto bismol 1 hour before or you want to consider given the NSAID with food.  some times meds for the stomach can effect the absorption of the medication, so that is why you want to wait a little also gives a chance for the med to absorb before the offending NSAID.   Like some people she may not be able to take the Loxicam.  The vet may want to consider giving a different med for the pain...just to get her pain under control like Tramadol and Glucosamine

Hope all goes well, praying for you guys:hug:

• Like 1

Please, please pray for Trinity. She is going into surgery soon. It is believed that she has ate a foreign body that is inside three different areas are seen.

My heart is broken.

Gina

Thank you, all. She was brought into surgery about 35 minutes ago. It is touch and go. Long haul, either way. It's very complicated the doc stated.

I think all of you here must know how I feel right now. She has been my angel through thick and thin. I love her like my daughter. We do not have kids. I never loved other pups as much as I love her. She is truly a special baby. Sticks by my side no matter where I am and senses my every move.

I'm just broken.

Gina

• Like 1

Gina sending lots of loving thought to you. Been through this myself with one of our dogs. They are tough little animals and it's amazing how they pull through a crisis. 

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hello and thank you all for your well wishes. What a day. Trinity is now at an emergency 24 hour care clinic for monitoring after surgery and yes, lots of money :( However, she made it through exploratory surgery and no foreign objects were found???? The Vet did do a couple of areas on her kidney and liver but are thought to be old age. My brain is frozen. I am upset at all she went through and the monies spent but since she was a very sick little girl, I felt I had no choice over a holiday weekend.

Please send prayers that I can bring her home on Sunday and we can celebrate together.

Gina

Wow what a day for you two. Glad that Trinity got through the surgery. Hopefully she is on the mend. She is likely to be sore for some time.

I am wondering what it is that the vet saw before the surgery that she didn't find during the surgery? This is concerning to me.

Hopefully you two will have less eventful days in the near future. And hope that you can bring her home for Christmas.

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Agree with remltr about the blockages the vet saw on the X-ray.  Quite puzzling.  Very happy to hear she made it through, though.  Prayers that she will be home and able to join you again on Christmas.:hug:

• Like 1

Hang in their Gina, she made it through surgery which is great. How strange that something showed up on the X-ray but nothing in surgery?  Further conversations with the vet will no doubt be in order. We are like you, no kids, just the four legged ones and I totally get it that they are as close to you as any other family member. Hopefully Trinity will be home soon. I wonder if she had a partial twisting of her colon which somehow righted itself? I personally know of a dog that that's what happened.

A Scottie we had called Sandie, went through the same emergency surgery, (they did find a piece of a toy that was blocking her intestine), however same kind of surgery, and within days she was back to her own self. They seems to recover way faster than us up rights!

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

This is so baffling and has been quite a roller coaster ride for you both. Sending my wishes to Trinity for a speedy recovery and good times and good health ahead!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!