CairnTalk

Sleeping under the couch

Malcolm's Dad

Once upon a time, in spring 2013, I had just moved Addie into her first apartment. She had just turned 2 and I had started to trust her for short periods of time on her own in the apartment. I was tottering around the apartment cleaning and organizing and realized I hadn't seen Addie in a while, so I started calling her name and looking for her. As the minutes ticked by I started getting frantic. I could not find her in any obvious places and she wasn't responding to her name (or any other for that matter). Once an hour had passed, I was convinced she somehow threw herself off the porch (I'd left it open while I was cleaning) despite it being higher than she has ever attempted to jump. I search every inch of the apartment and was just about to head outside to look for her body, when I noticed a squeak of hinges. I looked and found Addie pinned underneath my reclining couch. Unfortunately, she was able to get under but was too big to get back out. In a panic, I lifted the entire couch by myself and held it up until Addie scrambled out from underneath it. My wrists have never properly healed (thankfully they don't bother me all the time, but I'm prone to carpal tunnel and tendinitis now and can feel the weather changing in my wrists). The couch has been barricaded on all sides ever since.

Addie likes having special spots but isn't one for making dens for herself. She'll go in her crate occasionally (usually when she feels it is far past our bedtime and goodness mom if you aren't turning out the lights I'm going to the crate), but mostly likes sleeping on top of furniture, not under things. Could be PTSD from my panic turned frantic cuddling session after the couch debacle. 

Her special spots include (but are not limited to): the place on the couch by the window, the stuffed chair by the other window, her doggie couch, the bath mats in the bathroom, my side of the bed, and randomly any piece of laundry I happen to drop on the floor (regardless of how comfortable/uncomfortable). 

Bonnie you have MASTERED the Cairn Look of Overwhelming Guilt. I've seen it many times, most recently when I told Addie I was taking a shower, and she apparently was NOT OKAY with being left alone, even though she'd ignored me most of the day.

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Oh yes, Bonnie tries to play the victim but the real personality, "The Snot", comes out in reality.  Here is a typical interaction that causes her to dive behind the couch.  She is trying to get Fran to throw a toy for her to retrieve but Sammi decides to get involved, being quicker, knowing if it is thrown she will get it.  Bonnie decides that the game is over and "picks up her toys and leaves".  Course Sam has to take an obligatory swipe at the toy which brings out the monster Bonne.  Shout at Bonnie, tell her "NO!", pick up a brush or comb, do ANYTHING  she doesn't approve of and she dives in her "cave".  So she can try to guilt us out but we know the little beast too well to buy her act.

• Like 3