CairnTalk

Leukemia in Cairns

Donna Crume

I'm sorry if the last rambling note confused anyone.  Yes, Torrin is in remission per the results of Tuesday past.  I posted the results of both tests for info now, and if at any time in the future someone is looking for a like source, I hope it can help them.    :chat:

Weekly update . . . . 

Well here we are at the end of week 6.  We are holding our own, back legs seem to be back to old self.  Torrin still is not as zippy as she was at the end of last year.  I have to put this down to what is probably still going on in her bod.  She sleeps a lot still, does not play as much, wants to eat the pantry out still, all bodily functions are outside, so mom is content.

Can I pose a question, or thought here to my friends of the keyboard?  Should Torrin’s condition take her earlier than mom thought she would age out as, would mom be wrong in looking at/getting another puppy now to help her (mom), and to have Torrin to help train???  Torrin is true to her a gender, a B.  She is a 1 person dog, and will not allow me to pay attention to another dog should they get between us.  I do not know how this might play out if I brought another in, and with her as she might be, would it be fair?  She came into a house with a 9 yr old Yorkie, who she tried to nail anytime I picked him up until he passed in 9/14 (ag 16).  Is this mom’s true barometer?  While I dearly love her and the breed, always wanted a Scottie.  Found a rescue who has a litter here close to home, and at this point just running thoughts.  Please, any from you or feedback would be tremendously helpful and appreciated.       :shy:

Good to hear about Torrin.  You've done a great job of caring for her and it seems she has responded well!

In answer to your other questions:  Ahhhhhhhhhhh, yes . . . I am quite familiar with the Queen B Cairn.  Torrin sounds like a mirror image of our Buffy.  After Buffy had been with us for a year or so, we thought she would enjoy a playmate/companion.  We found Ziggy (a terrier mix) on PetFinder and, after corresponding with his foster mom, thought he would be perfect.  Well, Buffy disagreed.  We had underestimated how protective she was of her space.  Long story short, it was the same situation as you describe with hour Yorkie.  There were several knock-down drag-outs and we had to keep a close eye on them to recognize the signals that all hell was about to break loose so we could stop it.  Fast forward a year later and they became the best of friends.  Buffy is still without a shred of doubt the Alpha, but Ziggy has learned to give it back to her on occasion.  

It worked out for us in the end; however Buffy hadn't been with us for as long as Torrin has been with you.  If you decide to pursue the idea of getting a puppy I would highly recommend you try introducing Torrin to the pup before making a final decision.  It's possible her maternal instincts will kick in and she will try to "mother" the pup; the flip side is that she may go all Queen B on the little guy/gal.  

Just a few thoughts to consider.  :huh: 

Ah . . . . the female of any breed, right???  Everything I read after getting Torrin stated not to put 2 female Cairns together for that very reason, Queen B-itis.  I would love to have another female, but should - should I go through with this guess I will be getting another little boy.  The Yorkie was a boy, but he had no real interest in her, and stopped playing with Mom or anyone by the age of 6 mos.  Mom also did not socialize them well when I brought Torrin in, and this was a real learning tool for her.  Cats, now I just brought a younger in when the then tom was 18 mos old and he had a new play toy in her.   They eventually worked it out.  Both have been gone for years now, and one of the reasons I took on Torrin when I did, both of the cats had just died.  Thank you for the thoughts, and as I said, still just thinking at this point.   :chat:

• Like 1

If you go for a puppy a mellow-ish male would probably be your best bet.  You really don't want two bitches squabbling if you can help it, particularly if one is older and possibly feeling poorly and vulnerable. They sometimes go a bit on the offensive (as a defensive measure, I believe).

Not to be mistaken for learning a young-un some manners. A lot of times an older dog will play fight, role play and generally discipline a youngster. It can be noisy and raucous, but young puppies come with a pheromone or something that we call the Puppy Pass. Somehow the little stinkers get away with murder around the older dogs until the puppies get older and the pass expires. At that point the older dogs seem to become less tolerant and a more normal social environment develops. It's at that point you'd be glad you had a relatively mellow male. 

• Like 4

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Happy that Torrin is in remission.  Happy she has a good mom.  Thanks for all the up-dates - they are interesting to read.  If you get a puppy I like Brads idea of a mellow male.

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Thank you for you'er continued thoughts.  I also agree with Brad, in that a male would be best if any at all.  Since she has the Queen B-itis syndrome, I know that a female would be seen as a challenge to the perch/throne.  Have not heard anything further from the rescue, so at this point . . . . .   :)

Yes totally agree with all in regards to boy girl mix. Although Idaho has two girls and they seem fine, but it sounds like Torrin might not be so forgiving. We have always had the boy girl mix ... The older dog  and the young pup. It all worked out. Even thought at times it sounded like the youngster was being mauled to death...it was all about  puppies learning their manners.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 2 weeks later...

update . . . 

Well a little behind here, but I'm back!  Torrin continues to be doing good, from all out ward appearances.  With her back legs being effected initially, which have improved total, she seems to have a slight hitch/limp in her back right when walking.  It does not slow her down or hinder, so just watching.  Have noted that her breathing seems (?) a little more/slightly labored, and just what she needs in our humid summers.  As with the legs, mom's keeping a watchful eye.

Did not get the initial puppy I was trying for.  Visited several rescue events, and asked a friend who runs one, her reply was to look at me as if I had 2 heads.  Apparently a Scottie does not come around too often.  Did find a breeder in OH, and after back and forth like Hheldorfer indicated they did, decided on the smaller/might be more mellow of a litter she had.  I will get him, Grahame (sue me, I like the name, no kids so name the critters) Mon afternoon, 3/21 and let the fun begin.  Vet apt for him before I bring him into the home, and have some items Torrin has been sleeping on or wearing that I will put into the carrier before I bring him in.  Also he will be mostly kenneled for the first 2 days to allow for some acclamation on both sides.    

Will of course, keep the world posted on the worldaccordingtoTorrin as they unfold.   :chat:  

• Like 1

It's great to hear that Torrin continues to soldier on.  The slight limp in one of her legs could well be due to a touch of arthritis and not at all related to her other issues.  I don't know what your weather has been like in Missouri, but here in northern Illinois it has been cool and damp.  Buffy and Ziggy both have arthritis - Buffy's is probably from the injuries she suffered in dog attacks and Ziggy's is due to a malformed front leg - and they have been limping from time to time.

But on to your exciting news:  Woo-hoo!  A new puppy!  Grahame is a terrific name for a Cairn, in my humble opinion.  We will anxiously await photos and stories.  I'm sure you already know the first few weeks could be difficult as the dogs get acquainted; remember we'll be here to help.:)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hheldorfer said:

Grahame is a terrific name for a Cairn, in my humble opinion.  We will anxiously await photos and stories.  I'm sure you already know the first few weeks could be difficult as the dogs get acquainted; remember we'll be here to help.:)

Ditto to the above! Grahame is an excellent name for a cairn!♥️

FEAR THE CAIRN!

hhelorfer

I refer you to my post, 2nd paragraph, 3rd line:    "Apparently a Scottie does not come around too often."  No hesitation on getting another Cairn, but have wanted a Scottish Terrier since I was knee high to nothing.  With all that has gone down since the first of the year, I have decided to make this move now.  I am very aware it could be stressful for Torrin, and will do all that I can to buffer.  I'm retired, so they will not be left alone too often, and the youngster will be kenneled should I go out for a few hours.  

She, per the vet here about 18 mos ago, was noted as having that right knee slipping out of joint sometimes.  The limp was there occasionally if it was too damp or she had been laying on that side for a while and got up.  Yes, we have about the same summer weather perhaps as you do.  We can get the humidity really bad in summer though, with 3 rivers encircling the geographic area on all sides.  (Mississippi - Missouri - Meramac Rivers)  Still not hindered by this, other than jumping up on things somewhat.   :chat:

• Like 2

Oh boy great news - post pics as soon as possible!! No doubt Rosie wiil be thrilled to hear another Scottie joining the cairns and friends on the forum.

• Like 1

Oops - sorry, Donna!  I apparently didn't read your post thoroughly and had Cairns on the brain.:huh:  Grahame is a great name for a Scottie too, of course, and we welcome any and all Cairn cousins here!

Well, the time of arrival is coming closer, semi anxious here.  Cleaning house like company is coming, and you do not want them to see how you 'normally' live.  Also though, since a much younger dog, have to child proof somethings.  Got the younger food at Pet s Mart, and of course they want you to buy all your needs there.  Poor checker is pointing out the 'sales' for such, and I just look at her on some things and say $1.00 store, recycle on some things from being a dog mom.  Will keep every and all posted, and for the continued thoughts and best wishes, I never turn away these important things!!   ;)

Looking forward.  Our hunger for photos goes without saying :whistle: 

To the extent that Grahame's introduction is unrelated to leukemia, feel free to give him his own topic.  Torrin's adventures with the new fella will certainly warrant new topics in Cairn Life as well.

Have fun and I hope that Torrin is energized in the best possible ways by her new companion :thumbsup: 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Ah, open the door just a crack and I come pouring in!  Will most assuredly keep all a breast with the new antics in this domicile.  New topics to swim through, my head is going side to side in anticipation!    :P

• Like 4

Oh so happy that Rosie will have another SCAIRN on this site. Whits has given Rosie our Scottie the honourable title of SCAIRN....Scottie plus Cairn. Love it! Rosie is our second female Scottie and if your new boy  is anything like our two were when puppies you are in for a lot of fun. One thing that I found was a huge difference between Scottie and Cairn is that they get rather serious when older. Where Cairns Have more of a party animal attitude. :) also just as a health caution, especially with a Scottie, keep them away from any kind of herbicide or pesticide, especially on your lawn. The rate of bladder cancer is much higher in Scotties and research points to chemicals being a real issue with this breed. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

13 minutes ago, Pepper Bug's Mom said:

Wow!  Hope all went well with getting the new puppy!!! Can't wait for photos!!!

Ditto!  Want puppy pics!

Ah the dog's life . . . .

Got Grahame at noon on Mon (3/21), and he slept through the night.  Last night, or this a.m. he woke me up in the wee hours to do just that, and drop a load.  Mom is taking him out about every 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hrs, sure does like to pee!  Other than his first real b.m., all of these have been outside.  Could not find his original food, so transitioning  the best we can with what little came with him.  They played together today on their own, what a neat thing to see. Went to pick him up later and she got an ear!  His favorite place is under a wooden rocker, and he runs when mom comes to pick him up.  That is Torrin's signal to nail that little ear of his, he has caught on to that one very quick.  Worked with her on this with her brother Yorkie, never mastered.  Grahame is going to be bigger soon, so hope that will help with the ear thing, and mom's continued interfering.      :wub:

Donna, could you start a new topic for Grahame under Cairn Life?  Then everyone will know that the new Scairn has arrived, plus it will give you a spot to post pics.  (Hint, hint).;)