CairnTalk

Leukemia in Cairns

Donna Crume

I sound like a broken record here, but thank you all again for time and reply's.  Today was as good as yesterday, and even a little better.  Her gait continues to improve, which at this point is the only residue from her bad time at the first of the month.  In her yard times today, she was eating snow.  Now those of you in the E, be safe with what is coming your way, but she has always liked it, even a paltry 4".  She was eating it as she investigated the backyard.  Will know she is all but 100% when she can sit up again.  Due to wobbly back legs has not done this, but mom taught her to do this when young.  Whenever she wants attention, or knows I am going out, and to beg to go along she will sit up until acknowledged one way or another.  Timed her once, 60 seconds!  Ah how we love them and are stupid for and about them.  :P    

• Like 2

Thanks Donna, an interesting article. My  Indian friend who taught me a bit about spices and how to use them in preparing food said how they were used as medicine but have to say I didn't pay too much attention. Too busy enjoying the wonderful fragrant and tasty meals!

Good to know the possibility that tumeric as good for doggies as it is for us.

I myself take Tumeric as per my Dr but in a refined state called curcumin. Thorne also carries it for dogs.

https://www.thorne.com/products/animal-health/dp/curcuvet-sa50

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

This is for Terrier Lover - perhaps due to geographic locations, you to me, I am unable to purchase curcumin on the link you provided.  Visited the site, read the info, and trying to order found it is either by Rx from your doctor, or you are in the field an would prescribe it your self.  Thank you though for the information

I live in Alberta Canada and had to order it from the USA.  You can buy it on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Thorne+dogs

just make sure you get the capsules that are appropriate for the weight of the dog. Up to 25 pounds CurcuVET-SA50 . 90 capsules

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Back again .

After trying to order, sending you the note I also went to Amazon.  Isn't the world just peachy??  I could not get it from the manufacturer's site, but can through Amazon, which I have been shopping with great success for years.  I had placed my order by the time you sent your reply.  Thank you for the info.:chat:  

• Like 1

You can buy powdered Turmeric and make this thing called Golden Milk - it is supposed to be the BEST way to get Turmeric in your system.

Pepper's Mom

To all, and Pepper Bug's Mom, the Turmeric I ordered from Amazon.com should be here this weekend.  Thank you for the alternative way administer it.  I have since started giving her a daily multi vitamin with her meds.  The vet was not sure on the Turmeric, but I can not find anything that would be an 'interaction' with her Pred on line, so for now it is still sprinkled on her kibble.  I have to remind my self that the current meds are not a cure, but things can change!  She is doing great at this time, and even sat up for her food tonight, yeah!  She has not done this since the first of the month.  Gait good, still not as spry, but not horizontal all the time.  Again any and all help tremendously appreciated, and thank you for all the good thoughts coming this way.:chat:   

• Like 3

Weekly update . . . .

Here we are at the end of week 2 on Pred.  Mom thinks we are doing just great!  She is glad I want to play with my toys, chase the squirrels and am not sleeping as much.  She would like to see total strength in my rear legs, but says she is happy with my progress.  So sharp turns on a squirrel run is still a little wobbly, but in light of 2 weeks ago, a thing of beauty.  She still loves on me maybe too much?  I guess she is allowed to, some . . . .  :chat:

• Like 5

weekly update . . . .

Well, this is the end of wk 3 on Pred.  Life seems a lot like last week, of which I have no complaint as mom.  Torrin continues to have good days, still a little more laid back then before, but she is here!  Yesterday we started hitting the water more (drinking), but the vet initially said this could be a part of the meds.  She is initiating play time more often, still watching the amount of time and the degree of exersion on this.  She barked at a person walking a block away from her in the back yard, yep normal.  She even ran the fence when a neighbor was out walking their child on the sidewalk along the fence line, the audacidity of them!  We still take it a day at a time, and are grateful for that.  Hope all are doing well, and will keep all posted.  :chat:

• Like 5

Hi Donna.  Just catching up.  What a beautiful, independent Cairn Torrin is.  You're fighting the good fight in her interest.  I applaud that
 and hope she's with you for a long time.

God bless,

Tara

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

weekly update . . . .

Well here at the end of week 4, and mom wanted to wait until the weekend, but being the leader here sometimes you just have to take the leash in your mouth and tell the other end were it is going!  Mom really loves me and spent, so she says, a lot of money for a new toy for me.  A duck!  I worked that thing until I had to catch my breath and get a drink.  When I came back, mom told me she put it up as it was strange?  Now, what is strange about a duck I asked?  She then gave me one of those nice toys from the $1.00 store, piece of cake to get the squeaker out.  She did play fetch with me on this one though.  I'm nice like that, sometimes I let her get down on the floor and interact with me, ya know to keep her happy.  I'm feeling good, moving well, chase the squirrels, so what does the vet know . . . .?

p.s.

Mom here, as you can see life has returned to 'normal.'  I do not have a problem with that in the least, and have nice thoughts of it continuing on for some time to come?  So as always thank you again for your encouraging thoughts and concern, will surely keep you posted.  Oh, and the duck was not strange, when she got through with it and the squeaker prevailed, the poor thing looked like he had mange and mom put it away.  Manufacturers must not know what a Cairn can do to their 'indestructible' dog toys!!!     :chat:

• Like 7

Hi Torrin!  It's great to know you're feeling good and having fun but there's one thing that concerns me:  A Cairn should *never* allow a toy to remain squeakerized.  Squeaker removal is an absolute must.  Go find that duck and show it who's boss!

Buffy

This is to hheldorfer . . . . 

yah, I know about all that squeaker stuff.  I can do a lot of things, chase squirrels, eat rabbit pooh, chase off the Post Man with barks, get my toys by the stupid names my mom gives them, even jump for joy when I know food is coming!!  Even as great as I am, I cannot get something mom has put up on the cabinet, it's taller then she is!  But then, I am open for suggestions . . . . .  :huh:

• Like 1

to tlwtheq . . . . 

yah!, that would be nice if mom did not get some of the squeakers to not work before she brought them home.  that is what she has me for anyway, right?  the real bummer is when I do my best job ever and kill them and rip up those special $1.00 store toys, and she just sews them back up.  what's the fun in that, they don't make any noise.  there is something nice though to have things that smell like me, and not some new strange persons, ya know????:D 

• 2 weeks later...

update . . . .

Running a little late here, due to nothing other than mom trying to do too many things at once.  Torrin remains the same, which I will take at this time.  Made a vet apt. today for tomorrow to have her WBCs retested to see where they are.  Fingers, toes, arms and ankle crossed.  Eye have their own mind, and will not cooperate to be crossed!  Will let all know what the results are once the vet tells me.  ;)

We'll all be crossing fingers and toes too.  Good luck tomorrow and please post the results when you get them.  Everyone is cheering for Torrin to feel better!

• Like 1

Weekly update . . . .

Here we are at 5th week end.  We had an update apt. with the vet this past Tuesday.  We also had new blood work done, and renewed our Rx of Pred for another month.  Just got a copy of the results, and here they are compared:

Complete Blood Count
Tests            Results - 1/13        2/23        Ref Range
WBC            38.9 (High)        10.2        4.0-15.5
RBC             6.9             6.0        4.8-9.3
HGB            16.2            14.9        12.1-20.3
HCT            49            45        36-60
MCV            71            75        58.79
MCH            23.7            24.6        19-28
MCHC            33            33        30-38
Platelet Count       63 (low)                170-400
            Few small platelet clumps observed.  This may falsely lower the 
                platelet count and estimate. 
                        56 (low)
                        Fibrin clumps present; micro-clotting in the
                sample may spuriously lower the platelet count and 
                estimate.  Giant platelets present may indicate active 
                thrombopoiesis. 
Platelet Est        Decreased        Decreased
Differential        Absolute
Neutrophils        3501            9282        2060-10600
Lymphocytes        33454 (high)        306 (low)    690-4500
Monocytes        778            612        0-840
Eosinophils        0            0        0-1200
Basophils        1167 (high)        0        0-150

Now, is your head or littl’ mind spinning as fast as mine??  It seems my very good steadfast buds (said in total/all sincerity and respect!    ), she is in remission!  WBC is now within range  -  Platelet count is still low  -  Lymphocytes is now low  -  and Basophils is ok.  Other abcd’s as before, are still within their ’range’ parameters.  

When asked how she is doing I always reply ’day by day.’  Her Pred Rx has been cut in half, from 5 mg 2xs daily, to 2.5 mg 2xs daily.  She is down 1 ½ lbs, so increasing her kibble a little daily until she feels (mom’s touch here) fuller and not so boney. 

We go back in another month for another blood check up, unless otherwise dictated.  We will also keep informed of weekly progressions/doings, and sincerely continue to thank any and all for concern, thoughts, prayers and well wishes!!!    

• Like 5

p.s.  tired to be neat, you can see it did not work.  columns shifted, hope you can understand the somewhat jumble.  Platelet Ct @ 63 is for 1/13  and  ct @ 56 is for 2/23, with definitions for same typed under respective numbers.  

:oops:

I hope I read your report correctly, that dear Torrin is in remission... That is wonderful good news!

Thanks for letting us know! We look forward to more updates...?

FEAR THE CAIRN!