CairnTalk

Kirby Is Pretty Sick

kjwarnold

Maybe Santa will bring him new bowls for Christmas. Those dumb old bowls were making him sick. ;)  I don't pretend to be as smart as a Cairn, but I do suffer terribly from IBS. After a particularly awful few days, I tend to turn my nose up at my food bowl for a while as well. :) 

Well, Kirby is back in the hospital.  He started vomiting water again so back we went.  His hemacrit went back up from when they released him on Friday.  X-Ray showed no blockages or areas of concern other than severely inflamed (thick) stomach walls.  He also had a rectal exam.  Three vets at the hospital believe it's severe gastritis.

All he does is lay around and shake.  They're going to keep him at least 2 days this time and the goal is to get him eating and drinking, plus have a BM.  They'll start him back on IV fluids and add another antibiotic, plus give him the anti-nausea that way.  He's really bad about taking pills and the unjectible won't upset his stomach any further.

Its tough to see our normally spunky little guy so sick.  And Packy is really wondering what's going on, except he liked getting all the food Kirby spit out when we tried different things to get him to eat.  Packy can be really fast when he wants.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

It does sound like the vets are doing all the right things and and reassuring to know that Kirby is getting the best care. To the best of my knowledge (severe) gastritis is treatable and curable. All of us here are waiting with you, with fingers crossed!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I, too, was wondering whether it could be pancreatitis.  Any mention of that by the vet?  Just curious.  

Poor Kirby.  Please pass along a few extra cuddles to the little guy (and to Packy)!

No mention of pancreatitis but they did check all his blood levels.  From what I read about it, he also isn't experiencing pain nor does he have a high/low temp.  I'll ask though, when the vet calls later to let us know how he's doing.

Jock and Rosie both have had issues when relating to something that inflamed their stomach. My vet calls it garbage guts , anyway, what works like a god sent is a drug called Sucralate (also a human drug) it is given for ulcers etc. You give it in a syringe by mouth 1/2 hr before eating . It lines the stomach wall with a coating . Works amazingly fast. Perhaps ask your vet.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

We've used Sucralfate in the past for his stomach issues and it has worked with his less severe issues.  They're using a different one this time around but I'm not near it so I can't look to see what it is.  Can't remember, I'm brain-dead with all the worry about Kirb and trying to get ready for Thanksgiving company coming all weekend.

Just talked to the vet and found out they're already starting to treat him for pancreatitis.  Several of the vets got together to look him over, look at test results and his x-rays and decided he may also have that going on along with the severe gastritis.  They'll do the test for it to confirm tomorrow morning.  Thanks for suggesting I ask about it.  I asked and she said she was just going to start telling us about it.  Now I need to start reading up on it.

• Like 1

I'm certainly not *happy* to hear that Kirby may have pancreatitis but it's good that there is now a clearer course of action.  My terrier mix, Ripley (rest her soul) had pancreatitis and had to be hospitalized for several days.  The poor girl was obviously miserable and in a good deal of pain.  After a few days treatment (IV therapy and whatever else they gave her) she was much better.  She was already quite old when this happened but within a week or so she seemed back to her old self.  We just had to keep her on bland, low-fat foods (mostly rice and boiled chicken) for a while and then gradually introduced kibble back into her diet.  

Keep us posted on Kirby's progress and please get some rest.  Don't exhaust yourself preparing for Thanksgiving!

Vet just called.  Kirby is okay but still obviously very sick.  They thought he might have licked at some food left for him overnight, so they're hoping he'll start eating a bit today.  Also hoping the IV will perk him up.  The pancreatitis test will be run this morning to confirm or rule out.  We're going to visit him around noon.

Kirb is only 7; I never thought it would be him that got so sick since he's four years younger than Packy and has always been so active and happy.  Remltr, I saw that article last night and read through.  I also found a very informative one on Whole Dog Journal.  I was going to search in this forum today, too, to see what discussions have been held on pancreatitis.

Sending loving and healing thoughts to you Kirby. Hang in there and get better soon. Your brother is going to eat all of your food!

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

3 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

Sending loving and healing thoughts to you Kirby. Hang in there and get better soon. Your brother is going to eat all of your food!

So sorry Kirby.  Packy's waiting for you at home.  And your Mom and all of us here on the forum sending best thoughts and prayers.

P.S. - Sweet Pea's been going through the ringer lately too with an unspecified malady.  We had her checked for UTI since she was peeing too frequently, and in the house.  For now, the vet has her on prescription food and anitibiotics (there were bacteria in her urine.)  I think she's doing a  lot better.

Edited by tlwtheq
Health update from our household
  • Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Oh no.....poor Kirby.  Pepper is sending  you her extra energy and appetite in hopes that will pick you up!!!  So hard to watch our little ones when they are so sick...

Pepper's Mom

Sending healing prayers to Kirby. Hope the vets get this figured out and has Kirby on the mend. Your relatives will understand if things aren't all there this Thanksgiving. The best thanks this time is for a healed Kirby gobbling up his food.

Had a nice visit with Kirby around noon today.  While he was happy to see us, wagging his tail and giving kisses, he was obviously still quite sick.  And he still hasn't eaten.  The vet techs finally syringed some food into him today.  He did not throw up after that, so that's good.  

The pancreatitis test came back negative.  While that's good, we don't have much of a diagnosis other than severe gastritis.  The vets are kind of perplexed and are considering an ultrasound tomorrow if he doesn't improve more.  He's got three vets working together on him now.  

Is there access to an MRI?

Hope they figure out what is going on with the little guy and make him better pronto.   I'm sure he does not want Packy to get all his turkey...and I want him to have his turkey too.

Thinking of you, and crossing fingers (and paws)...

Sorry to hear that Kirby is still unwell, poor lad.

I know you said they have ruled out obstruction and done X-rays but if you see my post about kongs then you will see that they are not visible on X-ray so if he has swallowed any part of one of those then it could still be an obstruction.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

No Kongs in our house, Packy destroys them so they haven't been around for years.  They might do an ultrasound today, I'll ask about that vs. MRI.

Well, it looks like we might be dealing with Addison's Disease.  His cortisol level was .8 and anything under 2.0 indicates that Addison's is likely.  The vet just drew blood to send out for the definitive Addison's test and we should results on Friday or Saturday.  In the meantime, they'll give him a small injection of steroids to see if that helps his appetite and perks him up.  If he tolerates that well, she might let us being him home later tonight.  I'd probably have to syringe in baby food, but at least he'd be home.

I'm starting to read up on Addison's now.  It sounds like with daily injections, dogs can live normal lives.  

• Like 4

Addisons is treatable with life long meds....I hope of all issues that's what he has. He can then go on to live to old age! A friend of mine has this disease and although it took two years to diagnose, now is on meds and has never looked back!

Edited by Terrier lover