CairnTalk

If you could change one thing about your pooch

Dempsy's Mom

The one thing that I would change about Elsie is her poo ritual.  We are extremely busy and I swear it take her 10 minutes to find the perfect place to poo.  Around and around.  Dempsy and stand by watching her.  Demps wants to go over for a sniff, but I tell him "No, it will only slow down the process."  So the one change I would change about Elsie is a quicker poo.

And Dempsy - I would love to relieve Dempsy of his anxiety when traveling in a car.  Other than that I have perfect pooches. 

I wonder what they would like to change about me? :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Ahhh, the poop dance, it is right up there with the Twist and the Mash Potato. :lol:

If I could change one thing about Sassy it would be her lack of desire to play with other dogs and playing in general. She can be a real snob. I believe that since she was a breeding Cairn that she never got socialized properly. She will say hi to other dogs, and then she is done. She would rather interact with the owner.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I would like Buffy to be the self-confident Cairn she was before the Pitbull attacks. :confused:  She has lost her cocky attitude and acts skittish around other dogs now - except for those she knows well.

my teddy is 90-percent blind and developmentally impaired, so that he has to think of his own way of doing things other dogs get trained by their people or inspired by their instincts to do. i wouldn't change a thing. 

Edited by pkcrossley

I suspect Betsy was also used to breed before she found her way to us so she is reserved and sometimes rude when meeting other dogs. She also shows zero interest in puppies. We've made some breakthroughs lately, though. This weekend at the dog park she participated in playtime even to the point of getting pushed into the pond (she never swims).

Since that one is mostly solved, I'll say I'd love to do something about the thunder anxiety. It's never easy having to plan around the weather or worrying that we won't be home before the storm shows up. Yesterday there were new neighbors moving in upstairs so the noise combined with a mop bucket being emptied off the balcony was enough to send her into a bit of a panic. It's just so hard to see her scared like that. 

• Like 1

Like Elsie, Dundee is no picnic to wait for poo. After finding a satisfactory place he has to spin around about 10 times before the magic happens. How often does he get distracted at around spin #8? Too often! Then you have to wait for the moment to strike again somewhere else and hope he makes it all the way through the ritual.

All the dogs would like to trade me in for a smarter owner. The one they have now cannot seem to decode The Most OBVIOUS attempts to direct me to relocate a Charlee Bear treat from a bowl in plain sight to their mouths.

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Angus takes a while to "get ready" also. And staring at cupboard where Charlee Bear treats are kept very similar.

Truly, I wouldn't change a thing about my buddy. I love him the way he is.

Not much help with thunder as Angus very aggressive towards it. He barks it away and then comes to tell me what he did - all proud.

I did have a dog one time that was somewhat anxious in storms. I did not pet her or say 'poor doggy'. Acted cheerful, played games. 

Think dogs read our emotions so maybe not let Betsy think you are anxious - it may make her feel worse.

It's like with your kids. You have to be brave for them to be brave.

Let's see...I know we said just one thing.

For all three, I wish they wouldn't obsess over eating bunny poop, out in the back yard

and inside the house.

For Olie, I wish he would quit squealing once a visitor comes in, at least after we've

asked him to stop for the umpteenth time.  (We think he might be somewhat deaf, which

would explain it since it probably doesn't bother his ears.)

For Teddy, I wish he didn't try to try to steal everyone else's food, including LB the rabbit's.

(And to quit being so ornery!)

More than one....sorry. :)

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Rosie waking me up at 5:00 am....it's a killer. I could just turn a blind eye and ear, but when the whining starts its always in the back of my mind, does she have to go potty. Of course she doesn't and never has had to but how would I feel if she had to go, had an accident...I would feel really bad. Perhaps it would be nice if our dogs didn't train us so well! :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ahhh, the poop dance, it is right up there with the Twist and the Mash Potato. :lol:

If I could change one thing about Sassy it would be her lack of desire to play with other dogs and playing in general. She can be a real snob. I believe that since she was a breeding Cairn that she never got socialized properly. She will say hi to other dogs, and then she is done. She would rather interact with the owner.

Nikki is that way with most other dogs. After sniffing the other dog's rear (which he insists on doing even if he has to walk in circles several times to get to it, while he swings his own fanny away from the other dog), he walks off to mark and that's it. He does not want to play and he gets aggravated if the other dog does not take the hint. But he also prefers to territory mark instead of meeting people. He almost marked his territory on a neighbor's shoe as we were talking, but I caught him just as he raised his leg. Phew...

One thing I would change about my guy is his hyper vigilance. He listens to everything and when he finds a good reason to bark, like the doorbell, he gets his woofer turned on and he barks and grumbles and huffs at every noise for the rest of the day. The heat pump turning on is cause for a string of barks and pacing the house. The ice dispenser dropping a cube into the tray is cause for a soft warning woof. So is the dishwasher, the clothes washing machine and dryer, any phone ringing, anyone talking in a slightly louder voice than usual, and any sound coming from upstairs. Agh. Add a frightening noise or smell to the mix like fireworks, gunshots, or the smell of bears, and I have one obnoxious terrier who won't stand still for a second. He paces all around me when Mom goes upstairs and paws at my leg and whines to get my attention. When I ignore him, he keeps pacing, huffing, woofing, and grunting.

Edited by Lupinegirl
  • Like 1

Do I have the only Cairn who almost never barks? I think it's been at least week since the last time I heard her do it.

Um . . . yes, I think you do!  Most of our Cairns serenade us daily. :lol:

• Like 4

Packy: I wish he wouldn't have developed his fear of fireworks and now thunder. It's getting worse and I feel so bad for him. I've tried lots of the usual suggestions but nothing works. He feels best when he's in his crate in our bedroom walk-in closet. Or hiding head in my arms.

Kirby: I wish he wasn't such a bully with Packy sometimes. They used to play quite a bit but now he's becoming such a little tyrant at times. The little dork!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Re barking. Perhaps Betsy never had much of a chance to express herself n her previous life. Wait a while till she finds her voice.....!

Show her a squirrel or two, or a rabbit or the neighbor cat or a crow or the UPS guy or ...... too much to name really.

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 3

She chases squirrels, rabbits, and cats completely silently. Silent but deadly. 

kjwarnold, the head in the arms is simultaneously the saddest and most adorable. 

• Like 2

Of course if Betsy should ever really get in to the cairn bark - not to mention the scream of death  :twisted: you will be asking us all how to get rid of the noise. It can be fearsome  :o Be happy as you are :lol:

Oh, I think I know the scream of death. Would that be what happens whenever I have to pull a burr out of her foot or her feelings get hurt?

EDIT: 

Never mind, I saw the demonstration by Bonnie on Youtube and Betsy's is significantly more deafening. 

Edited by parmelbe

Never mind, I saw the demonstration by Bonnie on Youtube and Betsy's is significantly more deafening. 

We also refer to the Cairn Death Screech as "Cairn in a Blender".  Just wait until Betsy does it right next to your ear.  This happens while driving somewhere and your Cairn spots something he/she feels requires your immediate attention.  In Buffy's case it is motorcycles.  Once you have heard it there is no mistaking it for anything else.

My sister has left the house when Pepper spots a squirrel - the scream of death bounces off the hardwood floors and walls and ceilings!!!  The rat alert is a different bark, especially if it's in a trap - she does the "Lassie" fetch routine...running up to us, then running to the trap (it is under the deck), looking back at us and saying "come on!!! I found a rat!"

Pepper's Mom

I would simply change the fact that he ages...I would freeze time and keep Tanner at the sweetly perfect age of 7, where he is still playful, but not hyper.  And while time would march on, he would not grow older & I would never have to say goodbye.  :wub:

(Tanner turning 7 has been rather rough on me.... :confused: )

• Like 7
Becky & Tanner

I would simply change the fact that he ages...I would freeze time and keep Tanner at the sweetly perfect age of 7, where he is still playful, but not hyper.  And while time would march on, he would not grow older & I would never have to say goodbye.  :wub:

(Tanner turning 7 has been rather rough on me.... :confused: )

Got that.  Olie is 3 days away from 15, and the Wonder Twins will be 14 in January.  For a while, Olie was the only pup with

grey on his muzzle, chin, and ears.  Now all three have that.  :(   Just shows how time flies.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

The one thing I'd change about Lola (not a Cairn, but I'm playing anyway! :D) is her hatred of every other dog on the planet. There are several cuties in our neighborhood and it would be wonderful if she got along with them, or even one of them!  We have a very secure brick and stone wall around a good-sized yard. They could be back there having play dates and I know it would keep Lola busy and occupied. Ah well. I guess she is happy enough just as she is. :)

• Like 1

Well Rosie isn't a Cairn either, however Westies and Scotties are so close cousins to the Cairn that I am sure we have been forgiven this time. :)

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

We moved into our new place with hardwoods around September 1st and all was going great. About two weeks ago, Callie started wetting her belly band at night. I've tried taking water up early and walking her right before bedtime. She holds it all day long while we're at work, which is longer than she has to wait at night. The belly band catches the urine pretty well, but now she's figuring out how to chew the maxi-pad off and shreds it everywhere during the night. I sleep like a rock so I never hear her go into the other room. Urine-soaked, shredded maxi-pads are not fun to find in and pick up in the morning.

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing about Callie. She is my challenge child.  There is ALWAYS something going on with her. After we get this solved, she'll move on to something new. She always does. LOL  :confused: