CairnTalk

Puppy sick

sharaegirl

Hi everybody!

I am a new and proud owner of a 5 month cairn terrier, his name is Rito. Rito got sick 3 days ago, he started to feel different, then he started to through up some yellowish foamy stuff, he lost his appetite, and he didnt want to go out to play. Today he started to feel better, he wants to play but his appetite hasnt come back yet. I have been giving him water with nutrical. He didnt have a fever and no diarrea, so i wonder, what could have caused his vomiting? He is not vomiting anymore, but i am still concerned about him. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicky, our Cairn has done this, it was an allergy and anther time it was the beginning of a stomach infection. We called the vet and took him in, and he required a antibiotic shot and medicine to calm his stomach and an oral antibiotic. Cairns have sensitive digestive tracks. Now my daughters Cairn cannot have any chicken, turkey, wheat or corn. I really watch ours when he is outside cause everything goes right to his mouth. I really watch Nick, like having a kid. And keep his stomach in good shape now. Good luck with your puppy.

Scully has gone through bouts of the yellow foamy stuff and it has always been because she picked up something to eat that she shouldn't have had. I think Rito should be okay but you might be better off talking with your vet.

Hi! Riley goes through bouts of stomach problems - - the yellowish stuff is pretty normal when a dog vomits. I would just call your vet and see what they have to say - - -especially if the dog is still not eating.

I agree with the other posts here - my pup has vomited yellow foamy stuff before. Often this is because he ate too many leaves/branches on one of his walks. He also did this when e gave him some baby carrots that were a bit too old. :sick:

Sometimes it is hard for them to bounce back immediately. Try to give your pup something very bland, like rice or porridge. Recently we have been babying our pup with porridge and sweet potato, and he loves this much more than his Canidae - we are giving him 1/2 Canidae dry, 1/2 porridge.

Best of luck to you and your pup.

Thanks everybody!

I am taking Rito to the vet today. It is so wonderful that i found this site. I am making an appointment with the vet today. He is feeling better, but still not eating, I am giving him food with a droper. Rito was eating everything in sight, one time i caught him eating a worm~! Now that some of you mention allergies...after thanksgiving i think my husband gave him some turkey, and i believe he has been sick since then. I am wondering if he is allergic to turkey...The good thing is that he doesnt have any fever, so i believe he doesnt have any infection, am i right?

Take care and thanks so much for answering.

Argh. Glad you made a vet appointment. I don't mean to be an alarmist, but pancreatitis can be serious and can be a result of a dog eating turkey, particularly with skin-on. http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=268

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Bradl,

I just took Rito to the vet, he is hospitalized, he is very dehydrated... :( He mentioned the condition that you just mentioned. I have a strong feeling the turkey started everything. Plus i gave the dog baby food made entirely of turkey, cause the paperwork that the dog had mentioned something about giving the dog stage 1 baby food if the puppy didnt want to eat. I am so sad. I really hope Rito gets well. I took him to a vet on the 1st of December, he wasnt too much help, didnt explain a lot. I also called the store (its been 13 days since i bought him) and had a big attitude and were all they could talk about was money issues. The vet that i took him to today was very kind and explained all very clearly to me. Its been a nightmare. I wish i found this vet sooner. The vet took his temp and found a little blood. That is not a good sign right? He is not throwing up anymore, that is a good thing right? I am very sad. Any thoughts please...it helps me a lot...

So turkey bad, chicken good? Also are plain potatoes and sweet potatoes okay if they are not buttered? Sorry, but I get confused when reading some of these articles. :shy:

I'm rather alarmed at the damage Turkey can cause! How easy it would have been to give my dog some turkey without even thinking about it. I know "no chocolate, no grapes, no onions".... but I didn't realize turkey should be added to that list. Why isn't this more common knowledge?

Please don't rely on an internet message board to make decisions about the feeding or medical care of your dog. Including such postings in your research is fine, but ensure you are looking at multiple online sources, evaluating the credibility of each, having discussions with your vet, reading more than one book, talking with experienced dog people in your local area, and so on.

If you don't know why you are feeding what you are feeding, the possible consequences of feeding it - or willing to accept the consequences of not knowing, I think its best to take the conservative path and stick to quality food from a reputable source, in the amount and frequency recommended by a trusted vet familiar with your specific dog. What is good for one dog can be harmful to another. What is good in moderation can be harmful if unbalanced. It's as simple as that. In my opinion.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I wonder about the Turkey and Barley dog biscuits??? Is it he dark meat on turkey or all of it? I guess I always associated chicken and turkey. Of course we don't give our doggies table food but I know lots of people who do.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Geez, now that I'm reading these posts, I remember that on Thanksgiving, I felt sorry for Scully being stuck in her crate and I gave her some slices of turkey making sure there was no skin on it. She wasn't herself for several days after that. That's the last time I do that!

Rito sounds like he is in good hands, I'm sure he'll bounce back and be fine. Keep us informed, okay? We'll be pulling for him.

Perhaps it's not the turkey in and of itself, it's the way that it's prepared and the other ingredients that go into most traditional Tgiving turkeys.

Rito is going to die

I have been crying for the last hour

Not only i am going to have to deal with his death, i also have to deal with two contagious to human virus, bacteria i dont know what, we all going to have to go to the doctor to get checked.

I will write more when i came back from the vet

then i have to return it to the pet store

i hate the world right now

why did i chose him

why did i did i have to buy him

i dont know how to deal with death of a pet

it is extremely painful to me

rico was a member of our family

my daughter loves him so much

i hate everything right now and i just want to cry

i will post later on hwat conditions he has so maybe i can help others

he doesnt have pancreatis, so the turkey didnt hurt him

be back in a couple of hours

sorry about this herratic email

Sharegirl,

I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way also. I am so sorry for this misfortune. You had mentioned that you purchased Rico from a pet store and it had only had him a few days before he got sick. Since pet stores are notorious for selling sickly puppies I am wondering if Rico came to you already ill, especially since the store gave you a hard time when you tried to talk to them about him. I hope for everyone's sake that he is strong enough to pull through this ordeal.

MikeC

Sharegirl, my heart just breaks for you. You said you wonder why did you pick him - I think he came to you for a reason, and that for him to feel your love and love you back. That's a precious gift. Please know we are all thinking of you and Rito.

Argh. Glad you made a vet appointment. I don't mean to be an alarmist, but pancreatitis can be serious and can be a result of a dog eating turkey, particularly with skin-on. http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=268

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I sit here, refreshing the computer to hear about Rito, I want to share our experience this past summer with pancreatitis. I can't count how many times I would get after my husband to not feed Apollo crap. When Apollo went out that one summer morning, vomited twice in the yard then laid down, I picked him up, which he was not to happy about, and told my husband to get his shoes on, get in the car and drive us to the vets. I called enroute to annouce our arrival. Apollo had to stay two nights and I elected a third. The ride home that day was well, I can't say.

I am happy to have my dog healthy but now we feed sc i/d, and he gets only washed lettuce and baby carrots. I have to watch very closely on walks so he doesn't pick up garbage and diligent in the kitchen. I am so glad I did training with him so he knows "LEAVE IT". This past holiday I told my family, you feed him - you will be opening up your pocketbook.

Anyway, I am so glad to have this forum and everyone that participates in it.

****Apollo****

imsleepysig.jpg

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Please have hope because the medical veterinarian profession can sometimes find or do things that can be called "miracles".

Yes, your dog came to you because you are a caring and compasionate person. Why things happen to loving and dedicated pet owners is beyond me. But know in your heart you were the best thing for Rito and no matter what the outcome is, you did your best, gave love and care and that's all any pet owner can do.

Please keep us posted because we are a close-knit "family" who feels everyones joy, pain, sadness, anxiety and whatever emotion comes from owning one of the best dog breeds.

Sandy

Thanks so much...

I brought Rito back to the store, I had to pick him up from the vet. I didnt want to see him. I asked somebody to put him in his cage for me. Although i glanced at him, he was so happy to see me, it broke my heart. I was crying everywhere, the vet and petstore people problably think i am the crazy lady who cries on the phone, in the store, everywhere. The store was reluntant to give me my money back. But it looks like i will be getting my money back tomorrow. To tell you the truth the money is the least of my concerns, but dont tell the store that. Rito is going to be examined by the store vets, I still have hope he is going to be ok...

This is Rito diagnosis:

"Rito was presented today for vomiting and not eating. PE exam showed a painful abd. and the puppy was dehydrated. Blook work showed kidney failure of unknown etilogy. On o f our concerns would be a bacteria infection Leptospirosis, which could be a highly contagions/deadly disease to people and animals. Based upon my exam and lab findings, Rito is unsuitable for sale"

He also tested positive for Giardia.

The whole family will have to go to the doctor to get tested make sure we dont have any of his diseases. I have a 18 month old baby, i am very concerned about her, since she loved the dog so much she was always playing with him.

Your words help me so much.

Take care, and thanks for keeping me in your thoughts.

PS if anybody wants to see the results of his test send me a private mesage and i will scan it and email it to you.

Hi - - - I am so so so sorry to hear of your misfortune - - the disease you spoke of - - leptospirosis - - can be contracted through an animal eating garbage or drinking free-standing water - such as in a puddle. There is a vaccine that can be administered to the dog to prevent this but my vet assured me that it wasn't a prevalent disease and if my dog was pretty much a "house dog" that I needn't worry about getting him the shot.

I know there is treatment that will make him better - - just don't know if he is in the latter stages of this disease - - - I hope he can fight this - - my heart goes out to you and your family - - - I will be thinking of you. . . . . . .

Archived