CairnTalk

Incident at Barktoberfest

TazTalk

I'm sharing this to remind everyone to be super aware when around a lot of other dogs.

Yesterday I took Taz to Barktoberfest. A really cool fundraising event that a local shelter puts on. Contests, vendors, adoptions.

My husband was completing an adoption (he volunteers). I was walking Taz just a short bit away. While I was standing in front of one of the tents a pitbull mix charged Taz and the owner lost her grip on the leash. Taz yelped out the cairn screech of death and the pit mix had Taz viciously pinned. I thought for sure he was going to seriously injure Taz. Or worse. The owner was able to pull the dog off. Both Taz and I were shaking. A vet tech ran over. .... She saw the whole thing and said she didn't think the dog had used his teeth. We checked him over. No marks. So scary!!! The owner looked at us for a couple minutes but never came over to apologize. Then walked away . Wow.

You just never know what other dogs might do at an event like this. And there were a lot of big dogs. It makes me scared to go to another one. I'm so grateful Taz wasn't injured.

Edited by TazTalk

So happy to hear that Taz is not injured. It could have been much worse. It's good to posts these "reminders," from time to time to stay vigilant. Having had a very scary episode with Luigi this summer (attacked by 4 dogs at once!). I am very careful now when we are out. Dogs will be dogs but like you experienced not all dog owners are responsible. The owners of the dogs that attacked us were very irresponsible as well. They left us bleeding on the trail. I like to think if the shoe were on the other foot... I would make an effort to apologize-- A positive spin is maybe the owner didn't want to come over for fear of his dog attacking again.

While Luigi didn't start the fight, like so many on here posted, these little guys have such a big attitude I'm not convinced Luigi didn't somehow convey his remarks toward the pack. One of them being a labra-doodle. Not that I have anything against labra-doodles but I think that Luigi might have made a snide remark!! :confused:

Poor Taz and poor Luigi!! Oh I would be horrified and so scared. I cannot believe the owners not apologizing. (Well, yes I can. There are some dopey people in the world.) I'm so glad that neither were hurt seriously.

TazTalk - please don't let it put you off those social events. That would be a real shame.

I'm so glad Taz is OK. I had one of those experiences a number of years ago, with a roaming pit bull

in the neighborhood where I was living then. No owner was present...took a lot of shouting, gesturing,

and threats of kicking to get the beast to let go of my Shadow's neck.

This stuff can happen; but agree with Autumn&Molly...shouldn't let the one experience keep you

away from events. Although I might be tempted to carry a sizable walking stick!

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

A fun day that took a turn for the worse. So sorry for Taz. So glad the pit didn't use his teeth. ? And I am happy that the owner did take action to pull him off. I would of confronted her, but that's my personality. Give Taz a great big long hug and a kiss on the bean from us.

Took Demps for a walk in town yesterday and we ran into a lot of angry dogs. Demps stops and looks at them. I would love to read his mind. He listens to there barks so intently and then it's like he shrugs his shoulders and waddles away. I remember one day a little boy was at the door of a house and he opened it and let a big old coon hound out - ruined our walk.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I've had a few run ins with some irresponsible owners. It really makes me want to go berserk on them!

I have one nearby who owns three Golden retrievers....and he let's them run loose at times...in a suburban neighborhood. I'm walking my dog and his three dogs charge me, so I quickly snatch up my cairn and he (the owner) runs over and starts babling that his dogs are the "neighborhood welcoming committee" and that they just want to play...meanwhile Maggie, my cairn is growling and barking ready to take on these much bigger dogs. I tried to explain that my dog doesn't want to play...get it? And then tell him to control his $%^#%$% dogs as we are on a PUBLIC sidewalk. I really wanted to just punch the guy in the neck....but that's probably a bad idea.

Many times I've been on parks, or on trails that CLEARLY post signs to have your dog on a leash, only to have an unleashed dog come charging at me and my dog. The owner all smiles running behind to control their dog..."Oh, don't worry, he/she's just a big puppy"...all the while I'm holding Maggie who turns into a snarling-snapping beast when this happens...and I tell the people two things: "The rule about leashes applies to everyone..even you." and "Just because your dog is "friendly" don't assume mine wants to be friends...she WILL bite your dog."

Anyway, I read your story and just had to vent...and YES PITBULLS are ALWAYS the worst as are their owners..

...I now carry pepper spray when I walk my dog. Irresponisble owners really get me mad.

I second the sigh of relief that you and Taz are OK.

This is why I don't take Dickens to the dog park. Trust me, I'd love to, but I can't risk encountering an irresponsible owner of a pit or rot not bullying or attacking the little dogs.

I'm going to get some pepper spray. Thanks for the tip.

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Many times I've been on parks, or on trails that CLEARLY post signs to have your dog on a leash, only to have an unleashed dog come charging at me and my dog. The owner all smiles running behind to control their dog..."Oh, don't worry, he/she's just a big puppy"...all the while I'm holding Maggie who turns into a snarling-snapping beast when this happens...and I tell the people two things: "The rule about leashes applies to everyone..even you." and "Just because your dog is "friendly" don't assume mine wants to be friends...she WILL bite your dog."

Most owners of large dogs that approach us always make the comment about their pup being a big puppy. They're usually

surprised when they get the "It's not you it's us" speech from us. I'm glad they believe us in most cases.

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Taz has always been way more comfortable with smaller dogs and can be very intimated by large dogs. I think that when the dog charged him, the screech further set the pit mix off. That is Taz’s defensive reaction. Can’t blame him.

Once I get over this, I’m sure I’ll be okay going to events in the future. This fundraiser probably had 150 – 200 dogs onsite at a time. Maybe something that size is just too much and I will stick to smaller events.

I was so shaken & just didn’t want to go anywhere near the pit mix afterwards. Hindsight, I wish I had said something to the owner. The fact that a dozen people ran over to check on Taz and no one went over to the pit mix … I certainly hope they got the message.

We have also come across dogs off leash in parks and neighborhoods. I completely agree that just because the owners think their dogs are harmless lovers, you never know the particular chemistry between dogs. And they need to realize that some small dogs are very frightened by large fur masses bolting in their direction!!

I do like the pepper spray idea...

Poor Taz..Glad things turned out OK in the end.

It's just another reminder to be on the lookout when we are walking our dogs or attending events. You never know what they other might do never mind what your own might do!

No dog park near us. I have gone to one ore two events with other dogs present but Angus is SO bouncy and over eager to play that I have restricted such outings to small groups till he gets older. The bouncy play would turn to fighting I'm sure if he was attacked.

In the meantime we are doing visits to the several farm supply stores near us. He is much more relaxed than when we first visited the stores. He used to bark and yip and try to approach everyone, grovelling and doing happy pee if they wanted to pet him. Now he is still lively but quiet. Learning to leave people and stuff alone. Learning to greet people without grovelling. Can sit by me while I look at things on the shelves and sit while I pay at the checkout counter.

I still put a belly band on him when we go in stores just in case.

Next spring I plan to try bigger events.

Glad to hear you and Taz are alright, but I can't believe some people when it comes to their dogs. With regards to letting them off leash in a public place, I don't think it is a good excuse when they say their dog is friendly. They never know what type of dog theirs may be encountering. Not every dog welcomes another dog to get in their face and even if ours are friendly it can be frightening to see a dog twice their size charging at it. The problem with incidents like this, Taz may be even more afraid of the larger dog in the future.

So glad to hear Taz is OK and, like others here, sorry that nobody slapped that irresponsible owner. If you can't control a big dog, you shouldn't own a big dog.

This story is exactly why I am afraid to take Ivy to a dog park. First of all, she does have an attitude that might not be liked by other dogs. It am just too afraid to risk it. On the other hand, she might have the best time of her life. I am so glad that Taz is ok-could have been much worse. Shame on the owner of the other dog. The least he could have done was to check on your dog to see if he was ok and apologize.

Since Cairns often have a bit o' attitude (as Taz sometimes does), it does make it difficult to feel completely comfortable around strange dogs. And as mentioned, it can be frustrating because you want to socialize your dog and have them enjoy parks, events, etc... yet there is that fear.

On a positive note, the fundraiser was a great success and 11 dogs found new homes!!

post-3864-0-18287100-1350328445_thumb.jp

post-3864-0-17143900-1350328456_thumb.jp

All pitbulls need to be put down, they are killing machines. Theres tons of news stories popping up all the time of pitbull deaths, it's sickening. They were bred to fight.

This is why if I go to the park I am bringing some type of protection like pepper spray or something so I can spray at the dogs face if a stupid owner let a pitbull run loose.

Glad taz is okay, scary moment I bet, glad you're ok too. I have no respect for pit's.

I would have gone off on the owner though :P

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

You gotta teach your Cairns to look those big dogs in they eye, give a "face bark" and then call in your little Cairn backup to add insult to the injury--nothing a Gladiator Dane hates more than a good old Cairn dissing!

• Like 1

I'm also glad Taz was not bitten Whew!!. Just always be on guard. I used to pick Lindy up and carry her when "off leash" big dogs were running the park with their oblivious owners. When approached by one without an owner, she would start barking and snarling at the big dog, while in my arms. I'm shakling and yelling. "GO HOME!!" to the big dog and trying to quiet Lindy down. Once she was attacked and bitten by a loose big dog. The last thing I saw was Lindy submitting by rolling over on her back and this massive head bouncing up and down over her, while I am screaming at the top of my lungs. It could have been worse, but I ran home with Lindy in my arms and called Animal Control and they rounded up the lose dog and the owners were fined and did pay Lindy's vet bill. It took awhile before we walked that way to the park, again and when we did, I observed Lindy looking in the direction from which the dog came. Our vet suggested I carry a 9 iron with me. when we went for walks :) . I have pepper spray, but you need to be aware of the wind direction and quite honestly, it all happened so fast, when she was attacked, I didn't have time to do anything.

Scarey stuff. So glad to hear Taz was not severely hurt.

Some have commented on off leash dogs. I often take our dogs to hiking trails that clearly state dogs are supposed to be leashed. I'd guess more than half the dogs we meet are off leash and no where near their owners. It's very frustrating. Sure your 100 lb dog might be friendly but when it comes running up to my two that are on leashes there's always a tense moment. I don't know how your dog is going to react and you don't know how mine are going to react (sometimes I don't even know). I believe it's in everyone's best interest to abide by the rules.

• Like 1

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

I totally avoid dog parks. Every year there are smaller dogs killed or seriously injured. I used to take my walking stick or one of my stiffer riding crops but got out of the habit. Perhaps I will get back into that habit! I have had a few scared moments also with owners yelling Dont worry he won't hurt you....as he is barreling towards us, hackles raised and snarling. And the worst part is that our stupid by laws are very weak and most times the attacked dogs vet bills are not compensated by the owner with the bad dog.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

It must be wild where you guys live because our experience with dog parks is just the opposite--lots of dogs of all sizes having fun and pretty responsible owners. Must be a regional thing but in our travels, we use these parks in other towns and states and have never had a problem. We find them very valuable for dog socialization and, more importantly, free exercise--it is really hard to find a place where our dogs can get the hard workouts that they can get unleashed running with the big dogs.

My handiest 'warding tool' is an automatic umbrella. Dogs act on what's familiar, they see a person, 'oh people are so nice', they see another dog, 'lets play'; they see a large garbage can blowing down the street, they bark, they're most familiar with it not moving and "it's" suddenly changed tactics so it's something to be unsure of. So they're rushing toward a person, a shape they recognize and said person suddenly expands to twice as wide and big & black--whoa! They don't "know" this shape so the brakes are applied, usually with skid marks. They have to sort through their mental catalog to see 'how' they're supposed to handle this unfamiliar object, so they maintain a 'safe' distance until they decide on an action. To really screw with their mind, fold down the umbrella, and voila a normal person suddenly appears again! That's Ok, so they kick in the afterburners again; oh crap, WTH, it's big & black again! Every time they start to approach. :devil: It's bigger than prey, something they're unfamiliar with and it's safer to maintain a distance until they know it won't/can't hurt them--maintain the 'magic', and they'll quicky give up approaching, because it's no fun to be rushing in glee at someone then have the crap scared out of you.

Sometimes it has such an effect on them that won't ever rush anyone wearing a dark, flapping windbreaker or a dark coat--all you have to do if they even think about it is hold your coat open, mimicing the 'magic spread'. I actually had one Lab that had 'gotten the treatment' and every time he saw me again, he'd go home & sit on his porch--didn't matter where he saw me.

Sometimes you just have to train a dog whose owner hasn't better sense. Besides, should they decide to keep coming at you, the umbrella is a pretty good stick, and the handle can deliver a solid blow. And one umbrella is lots cheaper than any EV. Not to mention, an owner that sees you messing with their dog that way may think you're nuts and decide to stay away from you; if that bothers you, you can always say you don't want your dog biting theirs so you had to keep theirs away, somehow. :twisted::devil:

• Like 1

The Mary Poppins approach. Umbrella defense. I love it!!!

Idaho... I'd have to say you are very blessed to have had consistently good experiences like that. Not sure I would call it a regional thing. Maybe good canine energy :)

Edited by TazTalk