CairnTalk

Kitty Food!

Dempsy's Mom

Poor starving Dempsy! He does count on you to take care of his every need in style, and I am sure your lack of supplies was very confusing to him, Lori.

If he is like my two, he is only hungry between meals -- or when he is not chewing.

I didn't know about the chicken strips either and, though we do not use them, a neighbor gives them to her dog all the time. I am going to be sure to reach her tonight about the problems, so I also appreciate the heads-up from everyone here.

I am sure Demps would be willing to forego the store-bought treats in exchange for some nice homemade treats, particularly if you assured him he did not have to share them with the cats, Jim, or even Digger....Nice rare roast beef? Perhaps a little roast chicken? Or maybe just a little ice cream....mmmmm....

@ Megs Mom...

Thanks for sharing. If all of that is true it is EXTREMELY disturbing and scary.

I've reluctantly given them the odd bully stick - yet to find any from Canada/US.

Everyone should read those links. Thanks again.

Here ya go-- USA made only!

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/smartlist_357/best_bully_sticks.html [Keep an eye on this site, they run great specials, if you'll buy in bigger lots.]

http://usbones.com/ [You can support a rescue, too, with this one. Look through it once, pick one & remember it or choose another each time. Col. Potter cairn rescue and South West cairn rescue is there or pick your local group!]

@ Megs Mom...

Thanks for sharing. If all of that is true it is EXTREMELY disturbing and scary.

I've reluctantly given them the odd bully stick - yet to find any from Canada/US.

Here ya go-- USA made only!

http://www.bestbully...lly_sticks.html [Keep an eye on this site, they run great specials, if you'll buy in bigger lots.]

http://usbones.com/ [You can support a rescue, too, with this one. Look through it once, pick one & remember it or choose another each time. Col. Potter cairn rescue and South West cairn rescue is there or pick your local group!]

Fantastic! Thank you...I'll check to see if they ship to Canada. Love the idea of helping a rescue. Will definitely be Col. Potter. We were mid-way through the adoption process with them when we stumbled upon Eddie close to home .... felt like it was fate and so ended our search through Col. Potter. Such a great organization!

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

Pegi here. Every morning I try to get some of our cat food - but the darn cats asked to have their dishes moved to the basement! Imagine that! So now my upright gets the cat dishes and water bowls, brings them upstairs to fill.....then I block the basement door so she can't get down! It's pretty funny to watch her balance a dish, water bowl and the empty cat food containers! She's dropped them a few times and said some really bad words! Now I have her trained so she also feeds me at the same time, but I make her add a spoonful of cat food to my kibble. Uprights are so easy! And when I do sneak downstairs I make a mad dash for the cat food and always get in a few good mouthfuls before Mom comes racing for me. She always complains that I weigh too much when she drags me up the stairs.....but says as long as it's cat food and not cat litter treats it's OK.....

• Like 1

Linda & Pegi

OMG, I've never laughted so hard as I read these posts. Too funny!

Took more video of Dickens today. He had an OK day, but the witching hour kicked in and he, in turn, morphed into naughty puppy.

He trained well today and can't get enough of Wellness Pure Rewards Turkey & Salmon. I'm going to have the best trained 400lb dog on the planet! (Actually hoping he burns off the calories as he runs around.) Once we get through some more schooling, I dialing down the treats.

Thank you for the information regarding jerky and food. I'm such a neurotic new Mom, I can't believe what's on the market!

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Wow, Meg's mom! You are on it! Thanks for all the great info. I signed up for email alerts, so maybe I can stay better informed.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

@ Megs Mom...

Wow. Thanks for sharing. If all of that is true it is EXTREMELY disturbing and scary. I've always been careful about what we food our two and try to buy only manufactured in Canada or U.S. with Canadian or U.S. ingredients. I've reluctantly given them the odd bully stick - yet to find any from Canada/US.

Meg's mum, Puppy Love bully sticks are totally made in Alberta and guaranteed to be completely free of Any sort of chemicals or additives. Produced by Champion foods in southern Alberta. They also make Arcan and Orijen dog foods.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

@ Megs Mom...

Wow. Thanks for sharing. If all of that is true it is EXTREMELY disturbing and scary. I've always been careful about what we food our two and try to buy only manufactured in Canada or U.S. with Canadian or U.S. ingredients. I've reluctantly given them the odd bully stick - yet to find any from Canada/US.

Meg's mum, Puppy Love bully sticks are totally made in Alberta and guaranteed to be completely free of Any sort of chemicals or additives. Produced by Champion foods in southern Alberta. They also make Arcan and Orijen dog foods.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ellie here. Boy oh boy, do I LOVE cat food! My cat has his food on top of a wooden box that my dad built to keep Carolina from getting the cat food. Guess that dog was crazy...she actually stayed off the box and out of the cat food. ME on the other paw, I have NO problems hopping right onto that box and munching that stuff! I especially like the wet food that my cat gets in the morning but the dry stuff that's out the rest of the day isn't bad either! Now if only Mom would quit picking it up and putting it up on the counter I could nosh all day!

@ Megs Mom...

Thanks Terrier Lover! As a fellow Canadian my first preference is to buy Canadian-made. We feed our guys Acana. I had no idea they made bully sticks as well. I'll have to search around and see if any of the stores here sell them.

• Like 1

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

I'm sorry to introduce a gloomy note to this topic, but there are a number of sites online that warn against feeding too much cat food to dogs. Here is an excerpt from vetinfo.com:

What Will Happen if Your Dog Eats Cat Food

Dogs that overindulge on cat food are likely to suffer digestive upsets from the higher fat levels in the cat food. These can include diarrhea and vomiting.

An occasional mouthful or two of cat food won’t harm your dog’s health, but over the long haul, a dog that eats only cat food will probably become overweight and will also miss out on some vital nutrients contained in dog food that cat food lacks.

In time, he could also develop kidney problems if his excretory system is unable to remove the extra protein provided by the cat food. This extra protein becomes urea when it’s turned into a waste product, and urea can accumulate in a dog’s body.

Read more: Is It Safe for Dogs to Eat Cat Food? - VetInfo

FEAR THE CAIRN!