CairnTalk

Kitty Food!

Dempsy's Mom

Dempsy here. It has been crazy around here. This happens every spring and fall. Mom leaves me in the morning and I don't see her till night. I have no idea what she has been up to!?.

It is so bad that mom came home last night about 8:30 pm - looked in the cupboards - looked down at me looking up at her for something good to eat and she had the nerve to say, "Well, Demps. How about a package of kitty food for supper?" "KITTY FOOD!", I said, "Do I look like a cat! Do I purr?! Are you serious? You are going to reduce me to eating kitty food!?!" Well, she did. She informed me that there was nothing to eat in the house and desperate times calls for desperate measures. Well I reluctantly ate the kitty food .... it wasn't to bad ..... but I told mom I am not doing it again.

This morning I asked mom to scramble me an egg. She informed me there are no eggs. Wow. Not even an egg in the house.? So I requested maybe a little cheese to tied me over and mom gave me a slice of cheese. I asked her if I could have a snack? She informed me there were no snacks in the house either. What is going on?! I am really concerned, but then mom put on makeup. I think she is going to town and I hope she doesn't forget to get Digger and I our regular food, plus a few treats and while she's at it she might as well pick herself up a little something to eat.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Aw, poor Demps! Your mom was giving you a little variety, that's all. I'm sure you'll have LOTS of yummy Cairn food when your mom gets back from shopping. And in a way, you're lucky. If Kitty had run out of food, you KNOW she wouldn't eat any of your stash!

Dempsy it sounds like your Mom is a smart lady and can make do in a pinch. I wouldn't worry to much if I were you. I am sure she will make it up to you. You could always catch one of those chickens for your dinner. haha

Woof! Malcolm here. Oh well, Cairns are part cat (and part goat) you know so maybe the kitty food wasn't that bad. But no eggs? Are you kidding? You live on a farm. Couldn't mommy jump on a horse and go see if the farm down the road has some eggs? Next time this happens remember you can order stuff online. Just specify rush delivery and tell them to charge it to your mom.

• Like 1

Well Demps it's time to go to the chicken pen and make like a Terrier! That should get your Mum to make a hasty trip into town

Jock

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

All very cute comments. :) Yes, 6 chickens running around and you would think they could lay us an egg where we could find it. It was so cute - I brought home some chicken jerky, ripped open the bag, nicely handed a piece to Demps, Demps sniffed it, gently put it just in the very tip of his mouth and pushed it back towards me. Stinker. He is such a little control freak.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Dempsy, you need to train your mom better. Alert her when the kibble bag is running low. Snatch the empty egg carton out of the trash and drop it at her feet. And, for heaven's sake, tell her when the treat jar starts getting that hollow sound.

She'll learn. You just have to be patient.

Buffy

Good grief Demps.

If this happens every spring and fall you should know by now to alert mom when the seasons change. Make sure she has more than kitty food and chicken jerky.

If she doesn't shape up you will just have to go out and get one of those chickens - you know how they say raw food is supposed to be real good for you :lol:

PS share the chicken with Digger OK?

• Like 1

Dempsy - Lola here. Did you read what I did when my uprights forgot to feed me? I threw my bowl at them. You gotta assert yourself. Make 'em realize who's boss. They won't forget to buy your food again!

• Like 1

Addie here. Snuck onto mom's computer when she wasn't looking. Darnit, the Bose headphones aren't within reach. Anyways Dempsy, just wanted to know: what does cat food taste like?

My mom feeds me this stuff called Wellness and even though it's better now that she added this wet stuff to it, I'm SURE it's not as good as the food she eats. I know cause Grandpa always sneaks me his food and it's so YUMMY. Mommy yells at him for it and tells him he has to pick up my vomit and diarrhea (whatever that means).

Anyways, is cat food totally yummy? Cause I've seen it at Petsmart and I'm thinking maybe I can confuse my mom and get her to buy me the cat stuff.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

- I brought home some chicken jerky, ripped open the bag, nicely handed a piece to Demps, Demps sniffed it, gently put it just in the very tip of his mouth and pushed it back towards me.

Please, tell me you found US-sourced and made chicken jerky.

Poor Demps...but I'm sure he'll forgive you. When visiting my Mom's our two head straight for the cat food! They seem to love it.

To second MegsMom - there's been a lot of chicken-jerky recalls lately - hope you found a safe brand? I only buy food/treats manufactured in U.S. and Canada.

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

holy moly - you sure you don't live in a fairy tale like "Ole Mother Hubbard?" I've heard that times are tough but this is ridiculous. No food - only "cat" food?? Yikes......hope Mom got the groceries and you are all set and snoozing now you have a full belly.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Dickens here. Typing from my crate. Mom said something about having to take care of her war wounds. I like to play with her all the time, but she oozes red stuff when the playing gets good!

Mom says we are changing over to Wellness because she says the others stuff isn't good for me. I get 75% old stuff, 25% Wellness. Wellness should be called "Run For It!" because it makes me go to the bathroom (and not in a good way.)

Yawn, time for my nap. I'm dreamin' of what to get into next...

Woof! Woof!

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

To second MegsMom - there's been a lot of chicken-jerky recalls lately - hope you found a safe brand? I only buy food/treats manufactured in U.S. and Canada.

Frankly, I've been watching these jerky poisonings escalate--and so far our blessed FDA has not seen fit to actually do any recalls, doubt they will; it's really buyer beware-- for about 3yrs and I'm at the point that nothing for pets, made in or sourced from China (that I know of) comes into this house, it is simply far too chancy to me. I've dealt with kidney problems, I'm not going back there unless it's age-related, if I can help it at all.

I've actually seen some of the jerkies with a US logo--until you read the fine print and it says "packaged in the US", I'm not sure there is any safe chcicken jerky on the shelves of the average pet store.

There are US-sourced jerkies out there, you can google for them and you can also turn to human grade only--that's what I did initially. There's also freeze dried fish bits supplied from NW canners. You can also buy a dehydrator and make our own. I worry less about having jerky treats now, since I do feed raw ocassionally and mine love to chew on the ribs bones for days after. Plus, mine love anything from the kitchen, so I have a nearly endless supply of treats. I also feed high protein to offset any non-protein treats, so I keep their total daily intake of meat protein above a preferred point. Annnddd, well, treats are supposed to be small, I've been able to find freeze-dried fish treats in the cat treat section (yep, some are really tiny) that are US-sourced, that I use for very special treats.

Dickens,

You have a keyboard in your crate? Wow! I have to wait until my mom and dad abandon their computers before I can send any e-mail or get on the forum here. If you need any help deciding what to chew next, I'd be happy to give you some suggestions. Flip-flops (those noisy things humans wear on their feet) are tasty; a nice rock can be good, too.

Good luck!

Buffy

• Like 1

Dickens

They feed me Wellness too. I have the fish and sweet potato w. dash of "grizzly" salmon oil once a day. Bit of the canned mixed in. Gotta say yum yum........pretty much all food is yum yum to me.

They had to change me over very slowly from what I was eating when they came to bring me home. Pretty soon I was fine.

Good luck and keep in touch. :mellow:

Angus

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

I was not aware of this chicken alert. Dang it. I will check this out first thing in the morning. Right now I am in bed with ice packs to my lower back. Dang it again.

Dempsy says, that kitty food isn't to bad, but it's so degrading. Dempsy likes to think that everything of his is better than his kitty friends. It's like keeping up with the Jones's. Dempsy now is concerned with keeping up with Dickens - "MOM! Can I borrow your iPad for my crate? Dickens has a computer in his crate!!"

Thank you guys for keeping me up-to-date on what's going on. My world gets pretty small sometimes.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Ok, here's some of the info I've got:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-news/jerky-treats-death-toll/

http://goodnessgracioustreats.wordpress.com/2012/05/15/chinese-food-heres-whats-in-the-chicken-jerky-thats-poisoning-our-pets/

(It's a cairn & lets you know just how insidious the effect can be.) http://www.kvue.com/news/editors-pick/Austin-woman-says-jerky-treats-made-in-China-made-her-dog-sick-170258616.html

This is the list of brands I've got that have been linked to FDA complaints of illnesses or deaths:

Waggin Train ~ Canyon Creek Ranch ~ Dogswell ~ Hartz ~ Snausages ~ Booda Bones ~ Aspen Pet ~ Milo's Kitchen ~

American Kennel Club ~ Dingo's ~ Beefeaters ~ Cadet ~ Sargents ~ Ever Pet (Dollar General) ~ Home Pet 360 ~

Walgreen's Simple (new brand) ~ The Kingdom's Pets ~ Beneful ~ Beggin' Strips ~ Pupperoni ~ Canine Carryout

And it appears it's not only just chicken/duck/meat jerkies that are causing problems, I've seen dried sweet potato treats mentioned as well as meat/fruit/veg mixes.

And another suspicion, to make you sit up & take notice: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-news/chinese-dog-treats-glycerin/

BTW: I've always said if it came down to junk dog food or cat food for mine, I'd choose the catfood. There's every chance it actually has more meat protein in it than cheap dogfood, since cats are obligate carnivores. Tell Demps some catfood with a nice topdressing of beets would put mine into sheer bliss. Maybe he should have just threatened one of those chickens into dropping him a little breakfast in exchange for keeping both drumsticks.

@ Megs Mom...

Wow. Thanks for sharing. If all of that is true it is EXTREMELY disturbing and scary. I've always been careful about what we food our two and try to buy only manufactured in Canada or U.S. with Canadian or U.S. ingredients. I've reluctantly given them the odd bully stick - yet to find any from Canada/US.

Everyone should read those links. Thanks again.

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

Dempsey, have your Mom download the Friskies Cat Fishing app on her iPad before she puts it in your crate. It's really fun and you can pretend you're really outside fishing with me! Oh, but be sure she's got a good screen protector on it before you play. Mom's Zagg cover does a nice job when I scratch and bite at the fishies. Don't worry that it's for cats, dude. It's not like eating cat food, although personally I see nothing wrong with snacking on a little cat food.

Your Friend, Packy

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I have to say I've pretty much given up buying treats for Angus (poor deprived little guy!).

I look at the ingredients and where they were made or originate from and I don't want him to be eating them. So he only gets a few carrot, or apple or other veg or fruit (except grapes) pieces now and then and a few Charlie Treats when we are training - am trying to move to 'good boy' praise and forego even these.

I think giving treats is more for me than for him SO I'm trying to be strong.

New chew stick for him is a deer antler. Yummy he says and it lasts. I have to get big dog size for his big dog size teeth.

Edited by Hillscreek