CairnTalk

Cairns in the movies

Rohnda

Sorry if this has been posted before. I just finished watching "Reap the Wild Wind," (1942 oldie) Anyway, Rommy was the cairn in this one. After some research I found out that Rommy was Toto's (Terry's) son. And this list of movies was with the article for those of you who are interested in other cairn movie stars.

*Ready For Love - 1934-NA

2. *Bright Eyes--1934-A

3. *Dark Angel-1935-A

4. *Fury- 1936-A,

5. *? Double Or Nothing-1937-A

6. *#The Buccaneer-1938-NA

7. *Barefoot Boy-1938-A

8. *Stablemates-1938-NA

9. *The Women-1939-A

10. *Bad Little Angel-1939-NA

11. *Wizard Of OZ- 1939-A,

12. *The Wizard Of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition-A

13. *Son Of The Navy-1940-A

14. *Calling Philo Vance-1940-NA

15. *Cinderella's Feller- 1940-NA

16. *The Chocolate Soldier-1941-A

17. All The World’s A Stooge-1941-A

18. *Twin Beds-1942-A

19. #Reap The Wild Wind- 1942-A

20. *Tortilla Flat-1942-A

21. George Washington Slept Here-1942-A

22. Airforce- 1943-A

23. The Uninvited- 1944-A

24. *Easy To Look At-1945-NA

25. Without Love- 1945-A

26. The Valley Of Decision- 1945-A

27. Undercurrent-1946-A

28. The Ghost And Mrs. Muir- 1947-A

29.*? Malice In The Palace-1949-A

30. Backfire-1950-A

31.*? Rumpus In The Harem-1956-A

32. Pal Joey- 1957-A

33. Anatomy Of A Murder-1959-A

34. The Magic Christian- 1969-A

35. Mary Queen Of Scots-1971-A

36. #Saturn 3- 1980-A

37 The Stepfather-1986-A

38. One Crazy Summer-1986-A

39. Graveyard Shift-1990-A

40. Hocus Pocus- 1993-A

41. Twister- 1996-A

42. Dunston Checks In- 1996-A

43. The Portrait Of A Lady- 1996-A

44. 2 Days In The Valley- 1996-A

45. The Beautician And The Beast- 1997-A

46. Lost And Found-1999-A

47. Children Of Men -2006-A

48. National Treasure 2: Book Of Secrets, 2007-A

49. Elizabeth: The Golden Age-2007-A

50. Inkheart-2008-A

• Like 1

I still believe the dog in the movie "Wake Island" (1942) that was flown off the island by the last airplane was a Cairn Terrier--the whole sequence is a canard because there was no dog on Wake Island when the Japanese dislodged the American military and civilian forces building airfields there. However, the dog shown looks like a Cairn to me and somehow this movie is never credited has being one that has a Cairn in it--probably because the star of the film was Brian Donlevy and the co-star was William Bendix and no one can watch movies with these two "actors" in it unless they have a real strong stomach for bad acting!

• Like 1

I still believe the dog in the movie "Wake Island" (1942) that was flown off the island by the last airplane was a Cairn Terrier--the whole sequence is a canard because there was no dog on Wake Island when the Japanese dislodged the American military and civilian forces building airfields there. However, the dog shown looks like a Cairn to me and somehow this movie is never credited has being one that has a Cairn in it--probably because the star of the film was Brian Donlevy and the co-star was William Bendix and no one can watch movies with these two "actors" in it unless they have a real strong stomach for bad acting!

Hey Idaho, one of my favorite movies :P Any movie about Marines gets a thumbs up from me, even when portrayed badly.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Well, the movie did have Wendell Cory and Robert Preston in co-starring roles but even they can't offset Bendix and Donlevy. Bendix screwed up more war movies than the "give peace a chance crowd" over his long career of playing one character. Thank goodness he was never used in Westerns!

However, do you remember that dog that gets flown to Hawaii and safety? Wasn't it a Cairn?

Idaho, don't remember enough about the dog to know. Also the last time I saw the film, I wasn't aware of Cairn's in general. I put the film on my Tivo wish list and hope it will come back on again sometime.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Well, the movie did have Wendell Cory and Robert Preston in co-starring roles but even they can't offset Bendix and Donlevy. Bendix screwed up more war movies than the "give peace a chance crowd" over his long career of playing one character. Thank goodness he was never used in Westerns!

However, do you remember that dog that gets flown to Hawaii and safety? Wasn't it a Cairn?

Idaho I went the extra step and ordered the movie from Amazon. Went through it frame by frame and I'd have to say I just don't know for sure. Skipper sure looks like a Cairn, but the tail seems a little long and the ears a little floppy. He does remind me of Sassy with all the face licks she delivers. And speaking of deliveries, there is a scene where it is revealed that Skipper is a mom with such a variety of pups from different breeds that there would be no way of knowing how many boyfriends she had. And keep in mind that she was the only dog on the island. Hmmm????

I tried to to take screen shots while it was playing, but the digital rights management on it is pretty protective. Got blank files.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Idaho I went the extra step and ordered the movie from Amazon. Went through it frame by frame and I'd have to say I just don't know for sure. Skipper sure looks like a Cairn, but the tail seems a little long and the ears a little floppy. He does remind me of Sassy with all the face licks she delivers. And speaking of deliveries, there is a scene where it is revealed that Skipper is a mom with such a variety of pups from different breeds that there would be no way of knowing how many boyfriends she had. And keep in mind that she was the only dog on the island. Hmmm????

I tried to to take screen shots while it was playing, but the digital rights management on it is pretty protective. Got blank files.

"... there would be no way of knowing how many boyfriends she had. And keep in mind that she was the only dog on the island."

But, didn't you say there were Marines on that island???? Ok, I know remltr, I know but I was in the Navy and just couldn't resist!

Did Donlevy's and Bendix's performances get any better?

"... there would be no way of knowing how many boyfriends she had. And keep in mind that she was the only dog on the island."

But, didn't you say there were Marines on that island???? Ok, I know remltr, I know but I was in the Navy and just couldn't resist!

Did Donlevy's and Bendix's performances get any better?

I can't comment on the Marines vs Navy thing here - too many tender ears. :censored:

As far as the performances were concerned they have both been awarded an Academy Award, posthumously of course. :lol:

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

Not sure if it's any help, but a trick I use is to freeze the frame, then take a pic of the screen with the digital camera. Not the best pics usually, but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a clip from Without Love starring Spencer Tracey, Katherine Hepburn, Lucille Ball & Dizzy the Cairn.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Here's a clip from Without Love starring Spencer Tracey, Katherine Hepburn, Lucille Ball & Dizzy the Cairn.

I can't believe I've never seen this movie before!

Cairns have appeared with some of my favorite actresses--Judy Garland, Hepburn, and my all time favorite, heart throb, Kim Novak! What could be better than that?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mac and Me

There is a cairn in a group of dogs chasing Mac in a battery operated toy car.

They chase him up a tree and the cairn is standing on the car looking up at him.

I get so excited when I spot a Cairn!

• 4 weeks later...

I always loved those episodes of Lucy! Every movie or tv show that had a Cairn in it, I would tell Mom I want a dog just like that! It started at age 3 and my Mother didn't realize until I was a little older that it was the same type of dog each time. I remember when Annie and Bengi came out she said what about those dogs? I said there not the right one for me.

• Like 2

I swear we watched all the I Love Lucy shows (at least twice) in rerun during my pre-school days.

I wonder if this pup was related to Terry from the Wizard of Oz?

Just looked it up; blurb on http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/10282165.asp.

"In 1957, a movie called Pal Joey (which starred Frank Sinatra, Kim Novak and Rita Hayworth) featured a Cairn Terrier named "Snuffy." Snuffy had no more than 15 minutes on the silver screen, but apparently did better with other appearances like a spot in I love Lucy, Anatomy of a Murder, and Dennis the Menace. The Cairn Terrier's real name was Danny."

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Thanks for the bio, tara. Ripleys name was lucy for 24 hours. I never knew i wanted a cairn. I never gave the breed too much thought but wizard of oz, i love lucy, isle of skye.... It was meant to be!

• 5 months later...

Cairn sighting! I'm watching William Powell and Myrna Loy in 1941's Love Crazy. There's a lovely wheaten Cairn named Punkin that licks Powells face when his head is stuck in some elevator doors! I've seen this film before but never noticed the dog. Not sure if it shows up later -- it belongs to an old girlfriend of Powell's, that gets him into a lot of hot water with Myrna Loy!

• Like 1