CairnTalk

Worrying about my pup

jodi0553

My heart aches for you. I dont know if this will help you feel more grounded but I know when I face things that seem over whelming I like to repeat to my self the following short phrase I read in a book.

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you againts the present"

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, so now you know what you're up against. At least you know and don't have to wonder any longer. Hugs for you guys and prayers that the news will only start getting better from now on.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I know how you feel. Just one year ago I went down the same path with my cairn-very different symptoms though. You are doing EVERYTHING YOU CAN and that's all you can do. My eyes tear up reading your posts because I know the pain you are going through-so frustrating not having a definitive answer. I will keep you in my prayers. It sounds like you have a good vet hospital which is key.....Renee

Hi All, Thanks again for checking in on us and sending your words of encouragement. It means so much to have this positive energy coming from every direction. We got to spend nearly two hours visiting with him tonight and were even allowed to take him for his nightly walk. The vet who is handling his case came to see us tonight and gave us some straight talk. The bottom line is that she puts his survival rate at 40 - 50% at this time. We asked what she recommends we do and she said if we can financially and emotionally handle the fight, then we should do it for him because he's not in pain and he is so young. It was so good to hear the doctor say we should fight because I so want to do that if there's a fight to have. We should hear about a diagnosis in about 12 hours. They can't treat the cancer till they know for sure what form it is - there's lymphoma and then lymphosarcoma. I am refusing to read stuff on the internet at this point, but my understanding is we're rooting for a lymphoma diagnosis. There is some chance that he'll still go south over the night tonight but once we have a complete diagnosis in hand, we can start chemo and it is possible that it will perk him right up.

We took him out for his walk and he was doing the dramatic "I have something stuck to my leg so I won't use it" walk because they left the tubes on the IV this time (he's completely ok with just the needles there, but those tubes were offensive!). Suddenly, he took off nearly running on three legs...good thing he was on only a 6 ft lead. He was very energetic and just happy as can be to get outside even though it is really cold and his belly is all shaved. He even insisted in walking through some snow - geez he loves snow...you would never guess he's a native Oregonian who barely saw snow the first two years of his life.

Thank you all again for your support. All of you, my friends, family and coworkers have all just been wonderful as this has gone from hmm... to bad to worse so rapidly. We're not at worst yet, and hoping not to get there. Currey is such a sweet vibrant loving little guy and I dream of having him snuggled up to me at home again soon.

you have my complete sympathy. i have been in this situation with several beloved little friends. currey's liveliness is certainly encouraging and i hope the doctors can complete the picture for you soon. i know it meant the world to currey to be able to see you and spend time with you. he is a brave little guy.

Hi Currey and family- So glad you all got to take a walk this evening. I hope that tomorrow's news will be good news. I know a 50/50 % chance doesn't sound good to some people/dogs. But then we're dealing with Cairns here and they are one tough breed. Tough, stubborn, obstinate, bullheaded, willful, well, we all know those traits.... which will only help Currey fight this. And are reasons that these little guys wrap their selves around our hearts. Thanks for keeping us posted we all wrap our arms around you and wish we could give Currey a belly rub. Be strong!

Good to hear you're getting closer to a diagnosis Jodi - at least you know what you're up against then. He's clearly a positive boy and that will help no doubt! x

What an absolute nightmare this must be for you! But, the upside is, Currey sounds like a happy warrior. His mental atttitude will go a long way toward his fighting this nasty ole thing. Bless Currey, you & your hubby right now & let's all hope that the universe is focused on sending healing, positive energy to all of you.

So sorry to hear about cancer,but it has to be a relief to finally get some answers. Cairns are stoic patients...once they start showing signs of being ill, they really ARE sick...my thoughts are with you. Most vets don't get the opportunity to treat things like this so it will be good if you do....

Jodi, My heart aches reading this post. I've been away a couple of days due to the storm and a power outage only to come back to ready how Currey has taken a turn for the worse. (I thought about you guys often.) I have also been in a similar situation and understand what you are going through. Currey is in the best hands and you & your hubby are doing all the right things. I believe Currey knows how loved he is just by his strength and fight he has. He is very lucky to have you guys.

Stay strong and please know that your Cairn Family is sending you, your husband and Currey prayers & best wishes.

First encouraging news in a few days, Currey's condition is showing some signs of stabilizing. Still don't have a full diagnosis and are looking at a long fight and some tough odds, but my little guy is a champ. He is clotting now and his protein levels went up a little bit but are still dangerously low. They let him come for a little trip with me for an hour this morning and we went to my office and he got some love from my coworkers and students. He really didn't want to go back to the hospital :( Hope for a diagnosis soon.

yes he is a champ, in a family of champs. in these situations you have to let the doctors define what winning is, and then go for it. sounds like currey is ready for a fight, if the doctors sound the bell. he is lucky to be able to spend time with you, even leaving the hospital! that's something.

First encouraging news in a few days, Currey's condition is showing some signs of stabilizing. Still don't have a full diagnosis and are looking at a long fight and some tough odds, but my little guy is a champ. He is clotting now and his protein levels went up a little bit but are still dangerously low. They let him come for a little trip with me for an hour this morning and we went to my office and he got some love from my coworkers and students. He really didn't want to go back to the hospital :( Hope for a diagnosis soon.

Praying to God for you and your family that the upswing can continue.

Tara, DH, Olie, Teddy, Sweet Pea

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Diagnosis came in tonight. We are dealing with lymphoma that has gotten into the liver. This is the better of the two cancer possibilities, but still it is sad to know it is cancer. We already knew from the liver function test and ultrasound that the cancer was in the stomach, intestine and liver, which isn't great, but still beatable with about a 50:50 chance of remission. We will meet the internist tomorrow - still working with the intensive care doc now. His stats need to stabilize a little more before he can start chemo, then after that it is a 4-6 week course of chemo. Today we made the decision to switch from an IV catheter to a central line. They are able to a better job of tweaking his meds with the central line and hope to make further improvements to his condition with that. Also paramount right now is convincing him to eat. He sniffs food now but won't take it. She's hoping a change to the antinausea meds now that he has some steroids in his system will help with the appetite. But until he eats, he's stuck at the hospital for sure and we really want him home soon!

This evening we visited again and he's being a stubborn little stinker. You can't imagine how thrilled I was to see him plant himself in the middle of a busy walkway and refuse to budge! the doc likes very much that we are willing and able visit twice a day and considers it therapeutically helpful. This is still a tough fight but we are lucky enough that we can afford it and that the doctors think it is worth it. What a week. It was just one week ago yesterday that I started this topic. Thank you all again for listening.

you, currey and the doctors are all on the same wave-length --fight. there is something hard to define that i saw at the clinic where redmon was treated for his brain tumor. in a vague way it is sort of that everybody is learning to value each day in a situation where they have no control over anything except their own loyalty and determination. but they know that whatever happens they are entering a new and very special partnership with their dogs that would otherwise never have been possible. it is a strange thing, almost universal. the dogs were all amazing, they have no real knowledge of what was happening but threw themselves into it because they trusted their people, it is just a new level of communication. the dogs were cheerful, carefree, and open. chemo and radiation are really not hard for them. they get lower doses than people would in the same situation, and their bodies react better. some had problems with nausea and appetite, but there were meds to help them. you'll learn a great deal from the other patients, and what you and currey learn about each other will amaze you. you will not regret reaching for more for currey.

Wow! I cannot imagine what you and Curry are going thru right now. I'm glad you and the dog are putting up the good fight and will pray for the best for all of you.

It's good to know you have answers, now you can pour your heart into healing. It's so awesome that you get to see Curry twice a day.

Big hugs to you all! :hug:

Archived