CairnTalk

Sensitive Belly

mbkwsl

Account Deleted

It is hard,  every time I take him out to go the bathroom I cross my fingers and say a prayer how sad is that? Keep me updated, and I will keep you updated. He hasn’t pooped since he had diarrhea last thurs he’s been on the medicine since Thurs. I did buy him probiotics powder so hopefully that will help. Nixed the powder.

Edited by Account Deleted
Mistakes

Account Deleted

So glad Dickens is OK,  and on his road to recovery. Even though he did spit out his pills LOL! So I fired my vet but he doesn’t know it yet .  I sent an email at 8 o’clock this morning asking if I could add a quarter cup times x2 kibble ( wellness core grainfree)  to his diet because he has been on starting today eight days on chicken and rice which is ridiculous plus his anti- diarrhea medicine ( last pill will be on Wed); Come 11:30 the poor dog hasn’t been fed yet because I didn’t want to feed him until I heard from him no phone call! I called back and the receptionist said he  didn’t read the email yet! I said to her, I need to know because I am not feeding him until I hear back;  2 o’clock no phone call yet so I add a quarter cup of kibble to his chicken and rice and squirt of his salmon oil. He was actually barking at me to hurry up😡I will feed him again at 5 o’clock and add another quarter of a cup of kibble. I added a quarter of a cup yesterday and he still hasn’t pooped . So if he has an issue after  the meds I will call my new vet with a  follow up appt.  if there are no issues I will just have them take the records and his next visit won’t be until March 2019. He is totally normal if you looked at him so I’m hoping and praying I’m doing the right thing because there’s nothing else I can do. Thank you for asking about Otis, give Dickens  a kiss for me😘 like I said be is totally normal if you looked at him so I’m hoping and praying I’m doing the right thing because there’s nothing else I can do. Thank you for asking about about Otis. Glad Dickens is on the mend🙏👍🏻

Account Deleted

If you’re talking to me dog person, He has not gone the bathroom since last Thursday. It is been four days. My bad my mistakes.

Guest dog person
15 minutes ago, Otis's Mom said:

If you’re talking to me dog person, He has not gone the bathroom since last Thursday. It is been four days. My bad my mistakes.

Oh, okay.  Definitely talk to the vet, give him a call.   Otis may no longer need the rice?  He may now have swung the other way and be leaning towards constipation.   Maybe add a splash of water to his meals, long walks to get things moving.

Don't add supplements...see what the vet says

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

Look at my latest post I fired my vet I put water in the rice always he’s not constipated at all he is not hunching  down to go the bathroom he has no desire. He’s been on this diet for too long. We do long walks every day it’s too hot to do long walks we do at least 2 20 minute walk walks a day. He shows no signs of constipation is not straining.  And he is drinking and acting normal.

Thanks!

Guest dog person

Is there another local vet that can fit you in right away to review his meds and treatment and give a second opinion?

I know it will cost a few bucks but if you are truly concerned.....

Also, there must be a 24/7 emergency vet clinic near you?    As a last resort, I know they are expensive, but at least you will get some answers.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

He pooped!!!! I did make an appointment tonight with a new vet but since he pooped I don’t have to go unless he has issues once he’s off the meds but it was solid it was dark and at the end it was a little lighter brown  at the end, but not orange,  he also had peanut butter with his pills and yogurt in his Kong yesterday, Hence the lighter color at the end, but I’m hoping he’s fine.  But like I said I will bring him in if he starts having loose stools. I’m not fooling around with him and I don’t care about the money.

Fingers crossed praise God he is OK! Thanks for all the support that I get on here.

Guest dog person

Great!    Maybe your vet knows his stuff after all.      Hope he calls you back soon so that you can discuss.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

Thank you! I am going to transition over the next three days just so his stomach will get used to it. Has anybody else transitioned I just want to make sure I’m doing it the right way.

Guest dog person

Well,  I would do less rice (if any) and mix a spoonful of the boiled chicken in with the kibble with a splash of water.

With a senior dog I would think about going to 3 or4 small meals per day, rather than 2 regular  meals.

Of course, if your vet advises you differently, ignore me.

I am not a veterinary healthcare professional.

Just sharing what has worked for senior dogs I have owned.

Also, I would increase bathroom breaks. Opportunities to urinate.

They can no longer can hold it as long.  

PS   Did you say he was a senior?  If not, disregard what does not apply.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

That’s what I’m doing he gets a half a cup of Wellness core twice a day normally with pump of wild salmon oil in the morning meal.

So far,   I gave him a quarter of a cup of that with rice and chicken in water.  He has had one serving of this yesterday and two servings of this with his kibble today. I am going to increase it a little bit tomorrow decrease the rice keep the chicken and water.  He will be off the meds on Thursday  so I want him to transition until Friday at least or unless his poop is solid the whole time.  Otis is a year and a half. I am not giving him any kind of a treat anymore his stomach is too sensitive all he is getting is his dog food,  yogurt kong when I go out.  He doesn’t like greenies he hides them so I don’t have to worry about them. I have to keep it really simple going forward for him.

People tend to over feed the dogs and I don’t want to be one of them.

Account Deleted

I will feel better after a he is medicine free. I did order fortiflora  hopefully adding this every day will help. Now i am holding my breath everytime he poops. My vet did finally call me, he apologized he was extremly busy and he said he wasnt worried about otis mot pooping and I did the right thing by giving him kibble with rice/chicken. I still think you should’ve told me because I didn’t know if that was the right thing or not as you recall. He didn’t call me until 6 o’clock that night. Anyways I hope Dickens is feeling better.

thanks for the well wishes.

Otis's Mom - I can relate to what you've been going through because I experienced a similar long siege of gut/stomach issues with Carrington... The rounds of vet visits, waiting for callbacks, (that sometimes didn't come), switching meds, foods, etc. 

One vet pointed out that Wellness, although good quality, is too rich for some dogs so I transitioned Carrington off of it. I believe his improvement was probably underway by then, so I can't know for sure if this was the answer for us, but I wanted to pass the info along just in case.

I'm hoping for the same resolution for Otis and that your care and devotion to him will be rewarded with his complete return to good health!💖

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Account Deleted

Thank you,  i’m going to wait because he’s just transitioning to his dog food from the rice and chicken I’m doing it slowly so I wanted to be done by Friday or Saturday. I just don’t want to switch dog foods right now because of this issue. What kind of dog food is Carrington on? I am adding Purinais probiotic to his diet. Starting Saturday. He  has been on wellness since the breeder put him on it and I have had him on wellness core grainfree. If it’s still an issue I will talk to my vet and see what he recommends. Thank you for all the well wishes he went today he went dark brown then it kind a lighter brown at the end but that should be expected because he’s transitioning he still has two days to go on his meds. That’s when the real test will be.  I know every dog stool is not normal, but I am limited his diet he’s not getting any treats either I can’t take the chance right now. Thank you so much for responding back to me. Two days in a tow with good stools is s good sign, Even though still on Flagyl  I am also going to wash all his toys leash etc. and give them a bath with the hibeclens.  It is recommended to clean the environment thoroughly once he’s off the meds. I’ll vacuum everything again and then while he’s in his crate I’ll spray Lysol on the furniture and rugs  obviously he will not be in the same room when I do this. 

46 minutes ago, Otis's Mom said:

What kind of dog food is Carrington on? 

I put Carrington on Primal Fresh Frozen when I took him off Wellness. He was my first cairn and in spite of the digestive issues when I first adopted him, he lived in good health until he was almost 17.  As I mentioned above, he had already been transitioned to a number of different foods and had been on several rounds of meds, supplements, probiotics, etc. Trying all these protocols went on for a couple of years, so he may have finally been on the road to recovery when Primal entered the picture, but that was when his pooping became normal.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Account Deleted

Good morning,

Otis is off if flagyl and is 3/4 transitioning to his dog food, so fsr firm poop👍👍The real test is the next couple of days, but I’m not gonna worry if something happens I’ll just go back to the vet. I hope everyone has a blessed day and thank you for everything.

• Like 2

Again, well done Otis & Otis's Mom!

Dickens continues to gain strength, forming stools and finally drinking from his water bowl! 

Tomorrow we begin to gently transition to homecooked.  It's been a rough time.

Peace,

• Like 2

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Account Deleted

Thank you, Hopefully the probiotics will work.  He went the bathroom this morning and it was firm,  no more Flagyl so we shall see and I’m not gonna worry about it if he gets sick again I’ll just bring him to the vet till I figure out what’s going on with him.  I am 3/4 of the way transitioning,  i’m going to take my time and maybe start on Monday. I am may be wondering that the Wellness core grain free might be too rich for him.  I don’t want to start switching things up on him now that might cause more of a problem . I did order natures pet GI support probiotics so I am hoping this will help with his gut.  Bunny poop is not helping it’s everywhere in the grass.  Let me know how Dickens makes out going foreward.

Guest dog person

Did your vet recommend probiotics?   If so, I would only use the brand he recommends.

Excerpt below from  http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2017/02/evidence-update-new-review-of-probiotics-for-cats-and-dogs/

• The unregulated probiotic products on the market today are plagued with inaccurate labeling and poor quality control. This means that even if probiotics might be beneficial in some cases, it is unclear if the actual products available could achieve these benefits.
  • There do not yet appear to be significant risks to probiotics, though the evidence for this safety also quite limited.

PS:  My dogs do well on Zignature kibble (as a base) if you are shopping for a new dog food, check it out.

Also, my neighbor's dog is a "bunny poop" eater, her vet told her not to worry too much because if the dog is on the heartworm pill year round that should kill any parasites/worms that may develop from this nasty habit.   

Occasional gastrointestinal upset is to be expected though  :-(

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

No bu I did my homework.  And I read the article and it said that in cases it worked for diarrhea you’re going to get a negative and a positive on everything that you read I tend to try what’s best for me and my dog. If it doesn’t work I’ll stop them.

These probiotics got great reviews.  Especially on-diarrhea.

Same goes with the debate on dog food .  Raw vs Commercial.

I take a probiotic every day and help with my stomach immensely. Let’s just hope it’ll work for him. I also see that that’s recommend Purina and I see a lot of negative reviews on that brand.

• Like 2

Otis's Mom,

Dickens began to drink from his bowl this afternoon!  Yay!

I'm being real careful taking him out due to our current heat wave.

The vet approved home cooking, and prescribed Forti Flora probiotic. I believe the probiotic helped to firm things (if ya know what I mean).

• Like 1

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Account Deleted

Yippee!! I bought natural pets G.I. intestine, I did buy the Purina one but the reviews weren’t that great so I’m just going to donate it. I am really watching what he is eating from now on. Ditto with the heat!   https://m.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-GI-Support/999044.aspx?click=11787&utm_source=onps&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orderdetails2014&nco=N