CairnTalk

Sensitive Belly

mbkwsl

We have a 6 1/2 year old female Cairn named "Holly". She has recently been throwing up after eating, more than usual. Not everytime she eats, but maybe a couple of times a week. We feed her IVD - potato and venison. She used to get a fair amount of table scraps but we haven't given her "people" food in a few weeks. She has been on IVD for the last few years.

We took her to the Vet, had xrays done, and nothing un-usual turned up.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? We're not sure what to do next.

Regards,

Mark and Denise

Hi! My Cairn has a "liver shunt" problem and I am very aware of sensitive stomach issues. We have found that boiling chicken or very lean hamburger with some rice seems to soothe Riley's occasional stomach problems. He will gobble this up and has no repercussions from it. This was recommended by both our vets for those times when he starts to vomit or refuse to eat. I will then gradually incorporate some of his regular dog food into this mixture until his stomach can tolerate it again - - sometimes he can go for days on this rice diet. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Venison is rather rich and it might be possible that your little one is having a harder time digesting it now that she is getting a little older. I am not familiar with IVP, but you may want to check if they have a food with chicken or lamb and try that. It might be a little easier on her stomach. Good Luck.

MikeC

Hi,

Our 9 year old Westie started developing issues as she aged. Per the vet, she gets a Rolaid every night (with her daddy) and she does fine. She runs to the bathroom at bedtime and waits for her treat.

• 13 years later...
Account Deleted

Otis is having the same problem. He must’ve gotten into something when I was walking him because his poop was really soft, then I gave him pumpkin bad idea! Made it worse!  He is on wellness dog food which he tolerates very well.  Anyways he is now on chicken and rice diet since Sunday. The last time he pooped he had blood in his stools freaked out it was a little puddle in the house and he has never had an accident since he was five months old. Anyways he pooped today which is Tuesday, and it was formed but very soft. I called the vet and he said give it till Friday as long as there  is no blood and stools are formed he should be OK,  if his stools are soft they’re going to put him on some kind of medicine. I am not worried about him as he is his normal Cairn self/ And we know what that means! Has anybody else had this problem?

thanks!!

Edited by Account Deleted

Guest dog person

Sounds like you have a good vet.    My dog had a similar episode (went on for 3 days) vet said it was probably a virus.   He got some fluids, meds, rest and was back to normal in about a week.  They did some lab work to rule out pancreatitis.

Don't know what he got into?   Never happened again.

I would be concerned If the diarrhea continued,  or vomiting.    Then you have to worry about dehydration.   

Account Deleted

Thank you?  I worry so much about him it’s only me and him against the world! He threw up foam about a week ago so I knew he had to of gotten into something. He is still drinking his water I just gave him some fage 0% yogurt. He loves yogurt because I give that to him frozen and his Kong when I go out and he’s in his crate. I am just so happy there was no blood in the stools. Say a little prayer for me and Otis mostly for Otis, he’s my baby boy. 

Guest dog person

Try not worry,  take care of yourself.

Things will look a lot better in a day or two.   It sounds like he still has an appetite,  another good sign. :-)

We have had the blood in the stool thing with our Scottie. Usually when we are on a road trip and she gets stressed. Stress induced Colitis is one of the leading causes of large bowl diarrhea and bright blood. We tend to not panic anymore (in our case anyway) because our vet always gives us a bottle of Tylosin 50mg. It’s a prescription drug and works within 12-24  hrs. Wouldn’t be without it.  Ask you vet about it.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Account Deleted

Thank you so much he did say if he wasn’t better he would put him on medicine for it.  I will ask him about that. We go on 3 1/2 mile walks every morning but we’ve been doing that for the last six months so I don’t think it’s that, I think it something he ate.  I am always grab him something out of his mouth when we are out 😡 hopefully he will be on the mend everything, I feel a little bit at ease especially from all the intuitive responses. 

Thank you😁

63435E27-79CE-4D3D-BFF3-82C66AF6DE2B.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello, it's been awhile.  Dickens is now 6 years old.

We were doing great until the last couple of weeks.  Dickens has been vomiting bile.  Thought I got that under control, reported it to the vet last weekend who changed his pepcid from am to pm, and put him on Rosie's diet this week, but I can't find calcium citrate.  

He loves Rosie's diet, but started eating grass again this morning.

Signed,

One stressed out Cairn mom.

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Account Deleted

Good morning I’m sorry Dickens isn’t feeling well.  I hated that my Otis isn’t back to normal. It’s just like when we get sick we never feel like we’re going to get but hopefully things will turn around  quickly...🐶

4 hours ago, JCDickens said:

Hello, it's been awhile.  Dickens is now 6 years old.

We were doing great until the last couple of weeks.  Dickens has been vomiting bile.  Thought I got that under control, reported it to the vet last weekend who changed his pepcid from am to pm, and put him on Rosie's diet this week, but I can't find calcium citrate.  

He loves Rosie's diet, but started eating grass again this morning.

Signed,

One stressed out Cairn mom.

We found that feeding first thing in the morning then letting them out really reduces the need to eat grass. Actually for most part neither of them vomit after eating some grass if tummies are full. A lot of dogs just like eating their veggies.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Calcium citrate is just a bit easier to digest but the other calcium works just fine.This site is some added info. http://www.foundersvet.com/home_cooking.htm I don’t feed any grains and only 1/4 veggies plus of course the sweet potato. Because I haven’t fed kibble for years I realize that nutritional needs vary as our do, so mixing it up in the veggie department and adding different lean meats (bison or chicken, cooked fish)  in with the hamburger is good for them. I have stopped buying fish oil and now feed them each a half a sardine each day. The sardines are packed in water. If you do this introduce slowly over a week or so. They love it...the stinkier the better.😋

Edited by Terrier lover

Guest dog person

"Calcium citrate is just a bit easier to digest but the other calcium works just fine"

Hmm, doesn't sound right to me.   I would check with a vet that has examined the dog before giving any over the counter meds.  Not all supplements are benign.

Edit:  Looks like a link to a homeopathic site,  science based veterinary medicine views tend to differ.

Just saying.

Edited by dog person

Well one thing for sure whether you use a holistic vet of traditional (mine is both) both will agree your dog requires calcium in his diet. For the last 15 yrs my dogs have been taking calcium citrate . If a person is nervous or doesn’t believe in whole foods Vs kibble  then my suggestion is stick to kibble. Kibble is  not my personal choice. A good board certified holistic vet is science based.

Edited by Terrier lover

Hello, the purpose of coming back to this board wasn't to discuss the merits of one diet over another.  Everyone has a right to their opinion; however, the purpose of my return was to see what other Cairn folks had experienced with their sensitive-bellied kids.  I might not need the calcium citrate as he's on pepcid and supplemented with a lamb-based commercial food, for now. We're taking it day by day.  If he's not better by tomorrow, we're heading back to the vet.

Please visit Dickens at "The Daily Dickens" at http://www.itsthedaughter.blogspot.com.

Guest dog person

All vets are holistic.    That includes traditional vets and homeopathic vets.

Some of the views represented on that site appear to lean toward homeopathic. I could be wrong, I only glanced at the site.

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

I have never given any animal calcium citrate, not familiar why one would do so, but check with your vet.

I have given Pepcid when advised by a vet to do so, with good results.    Also, there are prescription meds if the Pepcid doesn't do the trick.  Again, discuss with your vet.

Good luck.

Edited by dog person

Account Deleted

Otis pooped this afternoon,  instead of the orange coming out last, it came out first and then had a brown semi formed stool. Everything else is normal with him so I’m not too worried he still want chicken and rice and he’s also on fage yogurt about a tablespoon in between meals. He actually barks  at me when he knows I’m preparing his food because I’m going to slow😂Anyways if this continues by Friday I am calling the vet and he wants to put him on some medicine so I will give you an update I am not too worried about it because like I said he only poops once a day, and he’s drinking and eating and he is his typical “Otis” self.

• Thanks 1