CairnTalk

Malcolm's Dad

Malcolm's Dad

Hi. This is Malcolm, a Cairn I adopted from a shelter. Many thanks to Brad for helping me set up this account and get Malcolm's picture to show up.

Malcolm had been rejected by a few potential adopters, he is a really wild dog, sometimes he bites and can be very aggresive. When I saw him at the shelter he was a bit nippy with me, but then started licking my face and wanted the tummy rubbed. When he crawled inside my coat and made himself warm and comfortable I said Ok, lets go home. They told me his name was Schroeder, but he didn't answer to that. So I decided to rename him Malcolm, a good Scottish name.

Its going to take some patience and training to calm him down, and he has calmed down a little the month I've had him. Its so nice to have you people to rely on for advice. Cairn's are not the average dog as I am finding out from this forum and from Malcolm. I can tell him no but he doesn't pay attention, he justs keeps doing what he wants. In order to get my shoe back I have to trade a treat for the shoe. These dogs are con artists.

The shelter said Malcolm was about 1 year old, but I think he is younger. He is so playful and has that puppy energy. He also has to be chewing on something constantly so there is still a lot of puppy in him.

The picture is when I first got him home, he looks like he is saying "Yea, I Got A Home!". He also looks like he could use some grooming, which I am finding out is more than just brushing a dog.

Glad to meet you all and I really enjoy reading about your little devils.

Congratulations on adopting Malcolm! And welcome to the forum! I'm still somewhat new, but have found it to be of great help!

Becky & Tanner

What a cutie! So great that you took a chance with him. The shelter situation sometimes makes dogs display behavior that they would normally not because they're fearful or insecure.

Shelley, Angus and Mickey in Seattle

good for you to adopt Malcolm. Many people want the perfect dog right out of the box.Its only the true dog lovers that will take a chance on a dog that may have some issues and take the time to change them into well behaved companion,and there seem to be a lot of them on this fourm. Congrats and give Malcolm an extra pet from me.

Rich

God Bless you for saving this dog and giving him a good home. Yes cairns can be stubborn it is hard to get them to do what they don't want to do. As long as mine gets exercise everyday (Nena gets outside time 1 hour a day) then she is the perfect dog. Grooming is more than just brushing, but in time stripping won't be a big deal. At first it can be hard but with all the grooming info here and on the web you will be a pro in no time.

Love to see more pictures of Malcolm (love the name)

Welcome to the forum, you will find so much valuable info for all his needs.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

Archived