CairnTalk

Marking territory...

glo

Our Wrigley is quite a character...He loves to take walks with us...I do notice though that he marks every tree, bush, hydrant on our walk. What I find interesting is he does that even when he has nothing left to mark with...Is that the norm. I just find it so funny ... Will he still do that after he is neutered? My baby goes in on Friday for that procedure....

My 12 year old female, yes.....female, does this, as well. She marks constantly when we take walks. Little squirts here, little squirts there :whistle: ......

And, yes, I have watched and nothing, no wee-wee comes out near the end of our strolls....hehe!

Our one year old male does not do this....hope it doesn't start!

Cathy

P.S. Good luck with his surgery. Let us know how he does.

Cathy and Piper

Hi! Riley is a male 15 months old and does this all the time. It is funny to watch especially when there is nothing - - - he also does his "pee dance" afterwards - - hasn't quite got it down yet - - I come back from a walk with a smile on my face!!!

Our Murphy is 2 1/2 years and he's being doing this since we got him.

Squirts at any tree, tall blade of grass, or anything that sticks up more than three

inches from the ground.

I took him through our usual place in the park and he started to pee blanks. This little boy about three leaned over and watched Murphy do his invisible pee routine, looked at me and said "Hey mister your dog didn't pee there." I looked down at him and said "Yes he did it's just that he did it so fast you didn't see it." He thought about that and came back with, "Na, no way mister, that ground isn't wet there see!!" I can't tell you what he did next because it's not the kind of thing I want to put on here but use your imagiation. When I left with Murphy the little kids was left there scratching his head. I'm glad I read this thread, now I know that Murphy's is just like every other Cairn, NUTS!! But we love him all the same.

...'til all the city dogs went dry, and piddled only dust

Heh! For what it's worth, we call the sniffing 'checking pee mail.' I once read that we should let the dogs sniff because to a dog checking all those scents was like 'reading the newspaper' -- well, our dogs apparently like to write a lot of letters to editor! :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest girliejr

Jack "marks" his territory on walks or at someone's house if they have a dog living there. He usually doesn't have anything that comes out (maybe a drop or two)! He just hikes his leg. He was neutered right on time when he was young (he is 2 and a half now) and he NEVER did this before he was neutered. I was always told that if they didn't "learn" how to mark before they were neutered, then they would never do it. But Jack started doing this at about a year and a half old. Just out of the blue one day on a walk he started hiking on trees. I don't know if he saw other dogs do it, or if it was just the scent on the trees. Either way, he taught himself how to do it. Cairn's are sometimes too smart for their own good!

Archived