CairnTalk

Rosa - One of the Greats

cairnrescueleague

Rosa, my 20-year-old cairn/chihuahua foster, is gone. It was her teeth. She was actually doing pretty well up until Sunday, when I noticed her start to decline. I got Clavamox on Monday, but she developed an abcess under her jaw, and despite using hot compresses and cleaning her mouth out with hot salt water, she couldn't overcome it. I took her to my vets' late this afternoon, and the ending was peaceful.

She's in a box up in my attic tonight, on a braided rug my grandmother made, covered by an afghan my other grandmother made, with a sprig of white pine on top. I brought the white pine in the car with us on the way to the vet so she would have something nice to smell. It was an unseasonably warm afternoon, so she got whiffs of the outdoor smells she loved.

I'll be bringing her tomorrow morning to be cremated, and I thought I'd sprinkle her ashes in the forsythia hedge in my yard when it blooms this spring. She was quite a gal. I whispered "good dog" and "good girl" in her ear as she was passing. It was an honor to be able to care for her.

gosh i hate to see a new thread here.

20 years, you did a fantastic job. she's not just a good girl, a very lucky girl. i'm so sorry for your loss.

Yes, she was a good girl. Bless you

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

You & Rosa were lucky to have each other. A 20 year old dog of any breed is a wonderful story in itself. Bless Rosa, and Bless you for the work you do , and for the love you give. You are a hero to those dogs who need one.

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I can't take credit for the 20 years. A friend of mine who does senior dog rescue and I rescued her from a housing project in Fall River, MA, 6 years ago. We placed her with a woman I worked with, but she came back to me 5 months ago when she became incontinent and the woman didn't want her anymore. She was a very independent dog, more like a stereotypical independent cat than a dog, but it was an honor to care for her at the end of her life. She was very much her own person.

i can see it is an honor to take care of a dog with such a history. she might have been a goner if you hadn't helped her before (when she was young!), and it was a comfort to her to come back to you at the end. very well done.

Bless you for taking care of Rosa in her last days (and so many others too). I'm sure it's very rewarding, but tons of work.

Shelley, Angus and Mickey in Seattle

Rosa was blessed to have been able to pass knowing she was loved. You are a kind soul to have shown her such compassion and dignity.

Just noticed this thread. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

You gave Rosa a little bit of heaven on earth.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I'm so sorry to read about Rosa. She surely earned her golden wings. What a wonderful joyful age. I'm sure her last 5 months with you were her best.

My condolences to you.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

sheila and Misty

wow! this post brought me to sentimental tears! really hit me hard-what a great age and wonderful you for loving her

aorry for your loss.

Your forsythias will be in full bloom this year and Rosa will make them more beautiful than ever!!!! It is so sad to see our babies leave us, but always know they are waiting for us over the Rainbow Bridge and watching over us.

• 1 month later...

g-d bless rosa... she is most certainly at peace now xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Auschwitz begins whenever someone looks at a slaughterhouse and thinks: they're only animals."

- Jewish philosopher Theodor Adorno

Archived