CairnTalk

Appetite concern

CathyAnn

For the past few weeks, our 16 month old's appetite has slowed considerably. He is usually a BIG piggy when it comes to food. So much, that I have had to feed my other Cairn separately from him cause he would gobble all her's up, too.

Just wondering if it might be the heat? Maybe just maturing? Combo of both?

When to start feeding at-will like we used to with our older Cairn?

TIA,

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I went through that concern recently too. Madison would pick at her breakfast, usually her favorite meal and then eat very little at supper. BUT, her activity level was normal (in other words, out of control :devil: ) and she would readily beg for a treat or two in the afternoon.

I think I'd worry if she had zero appetite, didn't drink any water or drank too much water and acted out of sorts....then it's time for a call to the vet.

Ours is about 17 weeks old. She picked a little in the beginning and then for about a week she ate alot. Now she eats probably just under 1/8 cup mixed with 1/2 teas. canned food for breakfast, doesn't get lunch (a treat instead) and 1/4 cup food with 1 teas canned. She will NOT eat any more than that - and she hardly ever finishes her breakfast. She has her normal activity level going and is getting plenty of water. Also - she was spayed at around 9 weeks (terribly early but as she was brought to the Humane Society then and that is their policy . . . ) ANYWAY - she has completely stopped growing (stunted I am guessing from being spayed so early). She has filled out in girth in the few weeks we've had her, built muscle tone, her hair is growing nicely, etc. But she is as big as one of my sister's yorkies - a little longer and with a more solid feel - not a delicate thing - but still just as small. My point - is that I believe she isn't eating as much because she no longer needs as much - as a matter of fact - I am starting to watch her weight closely because if she was eating like a pig still - I am convinced she would fatten up considerably.

So my point through all this rambling is that I have a feeling she may be maturing and not needing as much food.

Archived