CairnTalk

should I get one?

Guest bluebar

Guest bluebar

I'm planning to move back into a place with some land so I can have pigeons (and maybe some chickens again too). Would I be setting myself up for disaster if I also decide to get a Cairn?

Frankly, I'm looking for a smaller dog to help keep any mice/rats, etc., that may show up down and also a companion dog. I won't be hunting him, but I also don't want to get upset at the beast all the time because he's trying to kill the pigeons & chickens all the time either.

I know as a terrier a Cairn's bred to hunt so would I just be setting myself and the dog up for disaster if I try to keep one or do most of the dogs make a distinction between "my" animals and "all other" animals?

Frank

My one year old Cairn has killed 3 birds, a rabbit and 3 possums so far this summer....

I think you know my answer to your question.... :( .

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Guest Guest

Okay, I'll wait for a few more people also, but I'm starting to think I might be better with another breed for what I want. Thanks :thumbsup:

Hi Frank,

Well as wonderful as these little fellas are, Maxwell chases every bird and squirrel he can find. So far he hasn't ever caught anything and I keep praying he won't. I think for Max it is just the thrill of the chase. I brought a 10 week old kitten into my home about a month ago and was worried about the same thing. After carefully watching the two together and realizing Max had no signs of causing any harm I started to relax. Now when the kitten teases Max and they stampede through the house I watch them (just to make sure) until the kitten is a bit bigger to be able to sit on Max. haha

Melanie

Maxwell

Guest Guest

Thanks, Melanie, maybe I'll start looking at a mini-Schnauzer or something some calmer mixed breed. I don't want to blame a dog for doing what it's been bred for.

Frank

Archived