CairnTalk

The Pee "Dance"

CarCarDawn

Hi! Riley is a male Cairn almost 15 months old. I walk him everyday and whenever he had to pee he would just squat. Several days ago he started to lift his leg and now does this little dance thing when he is finished. My question is this: why is it they just automatically know to lift their leg - - - and what is this little dance thing he does?? I must admit it caught me by surprise and is somewhat amusing to watch!

If you think that's weird. Wes picks up his leg to do his duty. I think we have the only bushes in the neighborhood with hanging poop.

To answer your question, Wes began hoisting his leg when we went out of town last fall. His behavior had changed and he began acting more like a real dog.

HI! Sally - - I once had a Border Collie that would back up to a bush and do his duty - - we had many decorated bushes in our neighborhood too. I thought it was the weirdest thing but I have to say that Riley beats all my dogs when it comes to doing strange stuff - - he is sooooooooooooo interesting and amusing!!

Chalk up another boy who likes to use vertical surfaces for *everything*. It is so funny watching the boy puppies learn to hike their legs. Once we saw one walk up to the fence and hike the 'outboard' leg. Nice try. Another little guy hiked his leg and then tipped over :shy:

CarCarDawn, is the dance a thing where he stands in place and thrusts each rear leg out in turn -- sort of like a skating motion? Around our house we call that 'flinging turf' -- I suspect it spreads scent around a wide area as a form of marking. Even our girls do it. Heaven help you if you stand behind one of them when they do it in loose dirt, barkdust, or sand. Again with puppies it's fun to watch them learn their 'skills' -- puppies often try to fling turf but haven't gotten calibrated and instead of flinging a bit of grass behind them they accidentally get traction and end up launching themselves forward. What a riot these guys are.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi Bradl - - - you described Riley's "dance routine" exactly except you left out one part - - - he spins after thrusting his legs out and does this many times before walking away!! One of my neighbors witnessed this ritual and we had a good laugh!!!! I might add - - - when I ask Riley if he needs to go out (to do his business) he spins - - he may be associating those two things!! Lord knows what goes on in a Cairn's mind!!!

My male cairn hasn't begun to lift his leg yet but he has the "dance" down! We find it very amusing and never tire of watching it! He also barks while doing the dance as if to say he has succeeded his mission!! horay!! :D

The Pee Dance - what a great description. Both the boys do that one. We were so proud when Ghillie lifted his leg the first time. My neighbors also think we are nuts. Quite a common occurrence with cairns owners.

Archived