CairnTalk

my cairn hunts toads

scamp

Now that spring is here the toads come out and sit on the sidewalks in the evening. Scamp tugs at the leash franticly searching for toads. When he sees one he bites it and immediately starts to foam at the mouth from the poison the secrete. One would think an "intelligent dog" would learn not to do this, but he only wants more! We use a flashlight and try to prevent him from getting them, but he is faster. We have to walk the dogs, we do not have a fenced in yard.

Has anyone ever seen a dog do this?

Hi! Riley is pretty much interested in anything that moves but has only attempted to eat bugs!!! For this I am truly thankful!!! He once caught a mouse but let it go - - - has eaten his share of insects - - and barks at everything else. The latest animal that he found interesting was a woodchuck - - all in all - - Riley is timid when it comes to other wildlife!

Our Pepper goes after anything that moves including flying leaves. I have noticed a few toads now around our home but most of the time i spot it before he does or he is distracted. What if he does get a hold of one? How harmful is it and what should I do about it?

You're not alone....I would say that my little guy would most likely do the same!

Considering he has caught 3 birds, a rabbit and 3 baby possums so far this year. Just this morning he sat under the tree for over 3 hours waiting for Mr. Squirrel to come down! Finally had to drag his behind in the house.

When we walk him now, he is NUTSO looking for rabbits! Of course, we usually see dozens in the evening. He squeals and barks like crazy. People are probably thinking I am torturing the dog cause he causes such a commotion!

I sure hope toads don't decide to take up residence around here anytime soon :confused: !

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

We recently had a toad experience too. Abe picked it up, then after the toad did its thing gave it a big fling! Of course he barked and harassed the poor thing til we could get it and put it where he could get to it. However, the next day, he had some loose bowel movements and didn't act real spry.

So I would recommend being careful to let them harass too many toads.

Abes Mom

SignaturePics.jpg

We use a flashlight and try to prevent him from getting them, but he is faster.
Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Archived