CairnTalk

Making our new arrival feel welcome

Guest glo

We pick up our new baby(he isn't a baby at 13 months, but he will be to us) in two weeks. We have to drive 5 hours to get him, and he will have had an overnight plane trip. I am sure he is going to be nervous and confused. This has me a little nervous, I want us to start out on the right foot. We are bringing food and water for the trip. Have his collar and leash, and seat belt(for the car)...any suggestions on anything else that will be good to bring? Or anything else?I am so nervous but also excited. I just want him to feel at home.

A couple of cloth towels, a roll of paper towels, and a spray bottle of Nature's Miracle in case of 'accident' on your car seat. A handful of sandwich baggies (for picking up poop at a rest stop on your way home). Some food when he arrives at your house is a way to any Cairn's heart. Sounds like you have the Lots of Love part covered :)

Cairns are very adaptable and while he may seem a little lost at first you will be SHOCKED and AMAZED at how fast he takes over your household, as if he had always lived there. If it takes as long as two weeks I'd be surprised. What fun. I'm excited for you.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi! A soft cuddly toy might make him feel comfortable in addition to all the other things mentioned. Riley came from Oklahoma to New York and had a 1 hour ride home with us in the car - - the toy we brought for him is still his favorite one!!

We got Cooper down in Turner, Oregon...which in my head is in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, after a quick stop at my daughters a little further north, we headed home w/him and the eight year old grandson in the car. Cooper was in his kennel, but Tyler kept taking him out to hold him because he was so excited. At one point, Cooper escaped from Tyler and it took awhile to spot him, as Tyler was bringing a menagerie of stuffed animals with him, and Cooper had taken up residence in the middle of a huge stuffed boa constrictor. It was a scene out of ET and nice to reminded of!

Good luck and watch out for your toes! :D

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Archived