CairnTalk

Uh Oh! Coyotes in the Backyard

anabanana

Hi, just saw a coyote in the neighbor's backyard second day in a row at about 2:30 in the afternoon. Now my 10 month old Henry lives outside all day long. He has a doggie door and has free reign in the front and backyard. Now I'm really nervous. How do I keep him in? He just loves being outside.

Anyone know anything about coyotes? I've only seen one ... not a pack. Could a coyote make mincemeat out of a cairn or will it just stay away?

We'll also be adding a red female Cairn puppy (Greta) in August. I know she'll be vulnerable.

Help! :( Anabanana

Goodness Ana,

That is no fun at all. I'm sure that Henry and soon Greta are no match for a critter like that. I would take charge of the situation and keep the kids inside unless they are on a leash and you have a hose or a big stick nearby.

I know when my Westie was much smaller, an Eagle decided that she looked like a great "bunny". We had to keep her on her lead at all times. That big ole bird would sit on the dock and just look at the house waiting for her to come out. I just can't my baby up in a tree in an Eagle's nest!

Good luck and be careful, for all of you.

I'm fromScotland, not many Coyotes here :P but I would make sure that the wee guy's not outside unless you're with him. I know it'll be a nightmare, I don't envy you.

I am sure you saw my post re: possum dilemma??

Anyways....we have had coyotes around here and yes, they will snatch a Cairn.

I would be very, very careful, especially at night.

Good luck and hope your dog stays safe.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

We have coyotes out here too.

We also have a 3 foot fenced high front porch with a 2 foot high section so we can climb over it to get out.

The back fence is 6 feet high, and there's a sort-of-tent over it to keep the hawks away.

We have left Wes alone outside for short intervals.

(all right, you've guessed it. We look like we live in a cage.)

Thanks for you good luck wishes. I'll keep a very close eye on Henry. In the mean time I'm in search of someone to create a fortress like yours, Sally. I also happened to find a site in Arizona and British Columbia that had some very interesting facts about coyotes. Although I'm in CT, I'll assume it pertains to any coyote. These are some of the facts/information that I found:

Coyotes are shy animals that prefer to stay away from people, and generally only in urban settings are they so hungry that they will prey upon cats and small dogs. In the country coyotes should find plenty of small mammals to eat (rats, mice, and rabbits are their natural prey), making it less likely they will harass a dog. Nonetheless, they might see a dog as easy prey if it were left chained outside at night.

Supervise all pets closely, keeping them indoors from dusk to dawn -- cats and small dogs especially.

Keep pets under your control (dogs and cats on a leash when outside).

Supervise your pets when they are outdoors. If you must leave your pet alone outside make sure it is in a secure fenced area (such as a dog or cat run). Be vigilant when walking near parks, golf courses and other wild areas.

If coyotes are known to live near you consider making your cat an indoor cat.

NEVER feed coyotes. Keeping coyotes scared of humans protects people. "A fed coyote is a dead coyote," because if the coyote attacks a person you can bet that animal will be destroyed.

Be sure you are not feeding coyotes without realizing it! Check that:

garbage is secure

composts are covered

fruit fallen from trees is not left on the ground

bird feeders are not overflowing with seeds (OKAY! I GOT RID OF MINE TODAY)

pets are fed inside and no pet food is left outside

Fence your yard: High fences flush to the ground or dug below grade level discourage coyotes from entering yards.

If confronted by a coyote: yell, stamp your feet, look big, wave your arms and scare the coyote away. Kids, especially, need to know this! I'll have to teach Henry to stand up!

Anabanana

Anabanana - I'm in CT too - our coyotes are actually bigger than those out west. Coyotes take small cats around here all the time (hardly an urban setting either). I would definitely keep my eyes on your baby! Especially since you have seen one during the day. It is very true that coyotes don't like being around people - but we have a farm in the catskills with over 400 acres - as rural as you can get - and when we start seeing the coyotes around the house during the day-which has become quite frequent - even our children at the age of 8 & 9 are not allowed outside alone!

Oh yes - I also wanted to mention that they coyotes up here *do* hunt deer - so a little cairn may not be big enough to scare one off. (We have had the pleasure of witnessing this first hand - deer are part of their diet in the Northeast). Again - the coyotes here are bigger than those out West.

I thought it was just Henry, my Cairn, I had to worry about but after reading Callismom's comments and seeing Good Morning America this morning (segment on a toddler, 6 and 8 year old attacked by a coyote while playing in the backyard in CA) the fence around my yard is going up ASAP. I have a 6, 7 and 10 year old and with a cairn and one coming soon, I am just freaked out. Can't have guns here but we do allow bow and arrow hunting ...

I'm just a city girl living out in the country now and trying to take it all in. I guess a 4 legged predator is better than a 2 legged one, not to say that we don't necessarily have any of them.

Hi! I live in a rural city in central N.Y. - - we have racoons bigger than my Cairn - - and a lot of them can be rabid. A rabid racoon can become very aggressive and fearless. Also we have had rabid foxes and possums - - all can be a threat to a small dog like Riley. I think it is a good idea to always keep an eye on them when they are outside - - -just like you would your kids!!!! I have so many neighbors admire Riley that sometimes I fear he will be taken by one of them!!! Here's to a safe and happy summer!!!!!!!

We had a mountain lion shot after breaking in a house and attacking cats in a town near me. A mountain lion has actually been spotted quite near where I live and my neighbor's dog mysteriously disappeared after being let out one night. Holly stays on a leash or tied near my large dog. There are nights out walking with her that I hear a noise, get the creeps and we both RUN for the house! Yikes Kate

Yikes- a mountain lion! The only thing I've seen around my house are coyotes, but they're sort of creepy too. We were walking about two feet away from one when we first moved here, that's why we fenced our whole area and put up a gate.

A couple of years ago, I learned that coyotes can jump a 6 foot fence. That's why our neighbors who own horses, added a length of barbwire to the top of their fence.

We have new neighbors in a spot that was wilderness before. They put a fence right alongside ours but have nothing in front to keep out the WILDlife.

Yesterday, we were at the mall when we saw Wes carrying something in his teeth. At first I thought it was a green piece of bread. But when he dropped it, I saw legs. It was either a very fat long worm or a short, skinny snake.

Archived