CairnTalk

Paper Shredder

kolohe

Our Koko is 7 months old and we can't make her do her business on the newspaper or pads. As soon as we put down the newspaper or pad she just chews it up like a paper shredder. We tried spraying Bitter Apple on the pads but she just looked for a clean spot and began chewing up the pad. Any advice to make her stop chewing the newspaper or pad. :(

Been there.

Last year when we brought Wes home, he was paper trained. But everytime we put fresh paper into his pen, he'd carry it away. So we'd take it out. That's when he go the urge. So while he was in "the stance," we tried to slide the paper under his rump. Half the time we were successful.

Forget about the newspaper. Maybe you should start outdoor training. That's what we did.

• 2 months later...

I totally agree.. our Scruffy, when he was about 4 months, he was "paper trained", but as soon as we leave him behind, he would start chewing the pad/newspaper. My husband and I decided to train him to go outside, and he's been housebroken since he was 6 months old--now 8 months. You should try it as this would also less worry of keeping fresh pads everytime. Goodluck!

I agree with both of you. I would get rid of the paper -- period. Can you crate your pup while you are gone? That should reduce the indoor accidents greatly. Be consistent. I found that Zoe was extremely easy to outdoor potty train if there were treats involved!

thela

Count me in agreement. My place was wall to wall pads when we got Duffy at 10 weeks of age, and like the other pups he would pull them around and it was great fun for him. Actually doing his business on them was hit and miss, more missing than hitting but fortunately for us he eventually got the idea. Gradually we started placing the pads closer to the door we wanted him to go to when he had to relieve himself and now at 8 months of age, he has learned to go to the door and bark when he wants to go outside. You may want to try that approach. Good Luck.

MikeC

I agree as well - get rid of the pads. We never used newspaper or pads. Calli is almost 6 months but she is now fully trained inside. Out of the five dogs we have trained over my lifetime - we have never used pads or paper with them. I still crate her when I go out.

Archived