CairnTalk

Would you recommend?

Guest Sam

Would you recommend Cairns to a first-time dog owner? What do you think is best about the breed? What DON'T you like? I'm hoping to get a Cairn and am hoping for some advice... thanks in advance! :D

Hi Sam,

That's a toughie. Have you read through all of teh posts here for some insight as to teh special nature of the Cairn? Would I reccomend the Cairn, without a doubt. For a first time partner? Maybe/maybe not. What is your level of patientce? You are going to be brining a two year old into the home that never stops asking "why". Consistant training is the huge key. What do I like best? He is my love bug. Logan is 5.5 months and is a blast to play with, watch and just generally be around. You are not allowed to have a bad day around him. He is truly a kid that wants nothing more than to have everyone be happy and laughing. What don't I like? The fact that I waited so long to get one. The fact that he is growing up.

He has been a challange, don't misunderstand! He still piddles in the house every once in a while but he is fabulous at making new holes in my garden. All you have to do is remind yourself that there is not one garden in this world that is worth getting mad at him for. There are papertowels to clean up any accidents. I need the exercise when I have to chase him down with my morning paper. It's all in how you look at it.

Go for it and love him/her!!

I think that depends on YOUR personality. Are you the type who gets frustrated easily? Cairns can be extremely hard to train as you've read on this board. BUT, they are the most lovable, caring dogs.

My first dog was a German Shephard....loyal, a terrific guardian, great with kids, poised, beautiful. So why have I switched to Cairns from Shephards? It's just something you can't explain but once you've owned a Cairn, I think there's just no turning back :)

I have a 2yo Cairn and I think he is a fabulous little dog. We have not found him hard to train at all. In fact, he learns very quickly espacially with food rewards. We love his happy go lucky, friendly nature. He's very cuddly but always ready to play if we are in the mood. Toilet training was challenging with him, and I understand it is typical of the breed. My advice there is to get a bell and teach him from an early age to ring it to go outside. Ours loves absolutely everyone, has never shown aggression to people, although occasionally to other little dogs. He doesn't bark for no reason, but goes crazy over possums etc. Overall, I have had a wonderful experience with our cairn and would love to get another one.

• 4 weeks later...

I chose a cairn as my first dog. I got Ernie through a rescue. He was just over a year old. He's wonderful. Definitely a comedian, definitely a terrier (and them some!) I can never fully know his history, so some of his behaviors I have been having a difficult time with, but with lots of love and patience, they're getting better. I will say he is the snuggliest dog ever. I really had no idea he would be! If you're on the couch, he wants to be right on your lap...or right pushed up beside you...and will accept nothing less. He loves water, another bit of a surprise. When the bath tub is draining he often jumps in and splashes in the water as it is going down the drain. When it's all gone, he sits there looking at the faucet and the drain waiting for more. The other day, he jumped in the tub when it was full...and started doing laps. It was very funny. We had had Ernie now for almost a year and definitely couldn't imagine life without him. Good luck with your decision.

Hi:

When I was growing up I never had a dog - my mother was afraid of them. When my husband and I married he had a miniature poodle who thought he was a german shepard. When he was finally through with life at 15 we were devastated.

One of my friends had a cairn who I loved dearly and we had the opportunity to get a puppy from a home raised situation. We have never looked backed and adopted another a few years later.

It does take some patience but these dogs are just so giving and have such personality.

Don't get one if you don't have some time to spend with your dog. They are very people oriented and may be destructive if left alone for long periods.

Have fun.

We have a 7 month old that is our first dog. The first week or so we really thought we had done the wrong thing, yet we had discussed it long and hard for months before hand. (which i think is a must, weigh up the pro's and con's and look at it from the puppies point of view as well as your own). By the 3rd week, Metz had calmed down gotten to know us as his loving caring owners and we wouldnt be without him now. I think the first 2 weeks are the weeks where he is both excited and nervous about his new home and you are coming to term with a totally new timetable for your day. As for training, he has been great, the only thing that has been difficult is trying to get him to realise that if he chases cars he will get hurt. :D

• 1 year later...

My Cairn is a rescued breeder, and I knew nothing of the breed when I got her. She is a pure joy to be with. Sophie is funny, happy and just a great dog. I got very very lucky when I got her.

That said, she is niether minds me blindly or lets things go unchallenged. She can be super stubborn and pretty independently minded.

She is also eager to please and of gentle temperment.

Tena

Sophie

Image032.jpg

Archived