CairnTalk

vegetables?

KathyLK

is it good to give your dogs raw veggies? Mine love carrots but i am always nervous about them chokin on a big piece of one, any other good suggestions?

thanks

Hi! I give my dog a lot of different cooked vegetables - - some of his favorites are - - - - - -mashed potatoes and turnips, sweet potatoes, squash - - and he loves broccoli!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I too am leary of the raw carrot thing - - they are kind of slippery and I am afraid Riley will accidentally choke on one!

The only veggies mine will eat are sweet potatoes, but they only get a little. None of mine like carrots, but you could cut them up into smaller pieces to avid a choking hazard.

I never knew Cooper liked carrots till just this past week when I was eating chicken yakisoba. As I don't like cooked carrots :sick:, I alway pick them out and set them aside to throw in the garbage. He was being unusually good, so I gave him one....he loved it! So, needless to say, he got every last one and ate them all! When I was in dog obediance class, there was a man there w/his golden retreiver puppy, and for treats, all Binkley got were apples, broccolli stems, or cheese...no dog treats as I knew them....and the dog loved them.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

George and Gracie love carrots and apples. I peel the apples because of chemicals and every week they get their own bag of baby carrots. I cut up carrots in their food in the evening and apples in their breakfast. I haven't tried broccoli but they eat everything! We have to be careful. They will do almost anything for a piece of popcorn!

My little chubby fellow is very fond of the 4 food groups. There isn't much that Maxwell won't eat and there isn't much we deny him (taking into consideration the obvious no no's). He is quite the little "solid" squirt and is spoiled silly.

Melanie

Maxwell

Piper loves bananas, carrots, and apples. I always give her teeny tiny pieces of carrot so she doesn't choke on them. Same for the apple.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

• 2 weeks later...

Sams favorite thing is blueberries, though he likes carrots, celery, and brocolli too.

I'm not sure there is anything he won't eat ;-)

I am starting to feel real guilty here...... :huh: !!

We used to feed our older Cairn table scraps but decided to stop when we got our new pup last summer. Our older Cairn begs, begs, begs at the table and we definitely did not want another dog with that behavior.

Now all they both get is dog food. Occasionally, something may 'fall' to floor during dinner prep but that is rare.

Anyone else have the begging problem?? I mean SERIOUS begging...whining, whimpering....very annoying especially when we have guests eating with us.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Hi! Riley is such a good boy at the dinner table - - - he never, never begs!!! All he does is sit and look up with the most beautiful little face and those big brown eyes!!! He obviously knows he will get further ahead by behaving!!!!

About begging at the table-

Before the family eats dinner, I give Wes 1/2 a dog biscuit in a plate. That's so I won't feel guilty while we eat dinner and ignore him. He knows he gets fed his regular dinner after we eat.

Actually his comparatively good dinner behavior was a result of my being in a bad mood one evening. Sometimes bad moods are good.

Scout LOVES carrots! She actually loves all veggies, but we give her carrots. We won't let her beg for food and she is not allowed to sit by us while we eat. When I give her treats (carrots) I put them either in her dish, or in her kong type toy. This way she is not confused about being able to ask for food sometimes and not other times.

Archived