CairnTalk

Fierworks & thunderstorms

mykidsmom

Hello all,

I have 2 questions for all of you.

1. George is really frightened of fireworks and thunderstorms. Background music just makes more noise. The vet said she could prescribe valium but I really want to save that as a last resort. Has anyone had any success with the over the counter herbal remedies? I would really like to save him the anxiety and us the sleepless nights.

2. I have been searching for statues of cairns. I thought it would be cute to have a George & Gracie on our front porch. I can't find anything. I would really like to find someone who sold something in plaster or ceramic so I could paint them myself.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Cheryl

Hi

Don't think I can be of much help but yesterday we had our first big thunder storm since we had Molly. She was fine in the house but was reluctant to go outside (since when were Cairns scared ;) ).

In the end I just went out with her a couple of times and I suppose that must have showed her she had nothing to be scared off. I imagine you've tried this but its the best I could do :thumbsup:

Is your Cairn young? Molly's 7 1/2 months, maybe if yours is younger she will get better through time?

2.  I have been searching for statues of cairns.  I thought it would be cute to have a George & Gracie on our front porch.  I can't find anything.  I would really like to find someone who sold something in plaster or ceramic so I could paint them myself. 

Well you wouldn't paint this cairn but my oh my, wouldn't it be grand?

We have a roughly life-sized Cairn-looking cement Cairn we got at the Southern California club's specialty. I think they may get them in Mexico. I've googled around a bit but haven't found an online source/picture yet. They are heavy but might suit your purpose. If I ever locate one, I'll try to remember to post an update.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you for the replys. I would appreciate everyone keeping me in mind with the Cairn Statues. George is blonde and Gracie is brindle...I'd love to paint statues to match them. I am happy to say I have that talent and would love to use it in this way.

No one has any help to offer for theJitterry George? He is about a year and 6 months. It was storming when I left this morning and I worry that I am not able to be there to help calm him down.

Cheryl :(

With regards to fireworks:

If you want to take the family to see fireworks go ahead and have fun.

BUT LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME!!!!

A dogs ears are so sensitive that what is loud to us, is TEN TIMES as loud to dogs.

So for your dogs sake, leave the little dogs at home and have a great time. :thumbsup:

Rob D. I totally agree. I would NEVER put my kids through that. I'm talking about the fireworks that, unfortunately, have already begun in our neighborhood. For some reason unknown to me people insist on breaking the law every year, putting their children and neighborhood children in danger by spend hundreds of dollars on illegal fireworks.

I almost dread July 4th while it is one of my favorite holidays and fireworks are legal in Tennessee poor little Ginger will be terrified and under my bed. they have already started here as well but mostly just bottle rockets no real loud booms yet but she stll barks if she hears them. I think we will take 'little miss barksalot to the family picnic but have her safe indoors before the evening fireworks start.

GG

The boys are terrified of fireworks. If they hear even one firecracker they don't want to go on their night time walk for days. Here in Canada we usually have them on the May 24th weekend (Queen's birthday) and on July 1st (Canada Day). We live in a small city fairly near the waterfront where the fireworks are and we always stay home because the boys are so scared.

On the other hand, they are just offended by thunder and want to run around the backyard and try to bite the thunder. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight we had our first minor thunderstorm since I've had Madison and I can see a problem brewing...the thunder was in the distant but she was cowering and hiding near my chair on the deck. Not her usual self so I see the coming 4th of July a problem.

I'm confused as to whether I should comfort her fears or just try and ignore them. I don't want to add to her anxiety but I doubt I'll be able to not try and make her feel secure.......isn't that what "mothers" do?

Archived