Cicadas Alert

hallswel

April 27, 2004

WASHINGTON

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

I heard this too. What am I going to do? Piper absolutely adores bugs!! :shock:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Hmm, I think I need to locate my admin hat; I have a request... When referencing an article that is published elsewhere on the web, please provide a link and, if helpful, a small excerpt (typically just a paragraph, maybe two). This respects the copyrights of other sites as well as conserves the resources of this site.

Original discussion about content posted elsewhere is of course perfectly appropriate.

I understand that the underlying desire is simply to share good and helpful information. This isn't meant as a poke at hallswel - there isn't anything in the posting guidelines at the moment that prohibits "cut 'n' paste" jobs. However I will be adding something in the future to explicitly disallow it. This particular example is very mild compared to some I've seen - so please consider this just some gentle guidance for all of us, myself included. Thank you for your cooperation.

And don't eat the cicadas :sick:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have been wondering this as well. We live in Baltimore, Maryland...by a lot of trees. Needless to say, this six week adventure will be interesting. The nine year old will be fine. She doesn't like things coming at her. The baby.....I may geta soft muzzle and go out just for potty time and that's it! He's way too little to be going after them. They are just starting to come out of their little holes and he is having a field day already so I know he is going to give me a run for his money. It will be a time for many, many pictures and lots of tennis rackets and hats for me!

Enjoy the swarm :D

My little guy eats ALL bugs he can manage to get in his mouth! He will sit outside on the deck right underneath the light (which, of course, attracts them) with his mouth just flyin'!

Course, if you recall my post about already catching two birds....like I said before, I have one heck of a hunter doggy. Hubby thinks he could be trained as a drug sniffer :)!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Hi! Usually my house is infested with ants this time of the year. I was wondering why I had only seen one or two crawling around and then I caught Riley in the act!!!!!! He catches them and paws them to death and then eats them!!! I guess I will be saving a little money on ant traps!!!!!

Every summer, crickets drove us mad with their chirping. The loud chirps in our house disappeared once you got close. They were toying with us. But now Wes takes care of them. He's the best cricket catcher in the world.

This cicada thing would probably drive me crazy trying to watch what the dogs were doing. We use our girl Echo as a 'fly gun' -- all you have to do is tuck her under your arm, point her at a window with a fly and "bang!" it's gone. But those are just hors d'oeurves (wish this forum had a spell-checker) compared to the full-on all-you-can-eat buffet this cicada thing sounds like. I can just picture dogs hoovering around the yard almost like they do in snow, only snorting up bugs :w00t:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Bradl,

If I had a video camera I'd send you shots. With the last infestation we had a cocker that tried the zen method and became one with the cicadas. A feast was had by all doggies. It is truly hysterical to watch them "sneak" up on flying pests. With these however, they don't have to move a bit. The cicadas will find the open mouth. Cicadas are not real bright. I'll be happy to send anyone that is missing out on the experience a truckload of these little beauties :sick:

Archived