CairnTalk

a poll on names?

sheila and Misty

sheila and Misty

If this has been done before I cant find it -aybe someone can direct me to the right title,I thought it would be good to hear all of the names people have chosen for males and females of theirs and names of any dogs youve heard of to help us contemplating a name............................................................................

..................................................for example : all I know MALE-scruffy,donner, mcghee,charlie,lucky,sparky,tanner,sammy,bobo,prince,max,jax,terry,brutus,keiser

,herkey,harley, bogey,chitna,pokey,lex,pepsi,snoopy,fritzy,snitzel(gee wonder what the last two name breeds were),

FEMALES-punkin,tippy,candee,gigi,molly,lilly,misty,sweetie,angel,checkers,puddles,maggir

,PITA,(my aunt and uncle named pain in the ___!) pixi bacall,sandy,-I dont know personally any more dogs that come to mind right now-

Like I said if this has been done before thats ok ignor this post and please redirect me to one-thanx :confused1:

My Corgi is registered as "Jollyville Always a Good Time". His call name is Charlie. He is a "good time Charlie"...always ready for a party. :)

Desta means "Joy and Happiness" (in Ethiopian). I wish I could change her registered name to "Jollyville Destiny of Joy", but alas, her AKC name from the previous owner can't be changed.

We chose Murphy because in Scottish it means sea warrior. We are moving to somewhere between the 25th and 28th parallel and plans include fishing as often as possible and being in boats and kayaks frequently, so he needed a strong sea faring name.

Every good Scotsman has his clan tartan and we loved the Macdonald, Lord of the Isles.

There you have it, Murphy Macdonald, Lord of the Isles.

Mine is named: Oscar

For the character Oscar from the Odd Couple. My DH kept calling him so messy looking, and it came to mind.

my male I named Scotty Finlay I picked scotty b/c cairn terriers originated in Scotland and my mom's maiden name is Finlayson, so I choose finlay which means in Scottish Gaelic fair warrior

My female I named Angel Vanora. I named her angel b/c she slept in my arms the whole home it just kinda fit. I really liked the name vanora and my dh wouldn't let me name her that for her first name.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

• 5 months later...
The most over used name for a Cairn is more than likely "Toto," from the

wizard of Oz, lol!

You'd think so, but I don't think there are many Totos at all on the Forum. Probably everyone does think that a lot of Cairns are named Toto, so they don't want to use it. There are several Baileys here, both male & female, and our boy is one of them. Our girl is Sophie, and I seem to recall seeing at least 1 other by that name. So their names may be somewhat common, but they are unique & special to us.

Bailey is on the left:

BAILEYSOPHIEWITHXMASGIFTS.jpg

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Well, Holly has a formal name Glenmear Miss Holly. Her mother was "Holly Berry". The previous owner and breeder [Glenmear] said her call name could be changed but I liked it - so she stayed as Holly!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

The most over used name for a Cairn is more than likely "Toto," from the

wizard of Oz, lol!

You'd think so, but I don't think there are many Totos at all on the Forum. Probably everyone does think that a lot of Cairns are named Toto, so they don't want to use it. There are several Baileys here, both male & female, and our boy is one of them. Our girl is Sophie, and I seem to recall seeing at least 1 other by that name. So their names may be somewhat common, but they are unique & special to us.

Sounds about right, lol! I love the name Bailey, btw. :)

Proud owner of Mr. Cheezle! :)

I've always liked the name Gus since I read the book "The River Why". Good book btw. It is short, simple and you almost never hear it. My lab, Daisy, is WAY over used. I can't recall why we landed on that one. When searching for Gus we were looking at a couple of older dogs. Their names were Briggs and Foster. I liked those names and probably would have kept the name.

Meredith, Gus, and Daisy

both-1.jpg

Heh - I know a half-dozen or more Totos. To be fair, Cairns are not ubiquitous and there are very few historical "Cairn role models" and Toto is a pretty excellent role model to be named after.

Several of the Totos I know were folks' dogs from childhood etc. Even though Portland is thick with Cairns, it's still a novel thing to see one on the street. It's really the online networked world we have these days that makes it so easy to know so many other Cairns - and their names! So it's much easier to 'meet' another dog that shares our dog's name.

True story about dog names: our friend Jill was in the obedience ring in Open with her (dear, departed) Cairn named Maggie. Right in the middle of the drop-on-recall exercise, just as the judge signaled to Jill to drop her dog, the handler in the adjacent ring was doing the Novice Recall with her Lab or Golden (or similar) and called out in a very loud voice, "MAGGIE, COME!" Poor Maggie-the-Cairn startled, looked around, and then somewhat confusedly recalled to Jill without dropping. ARGHHH! What are the chances that a dog of the same name is in the ring right next to you and is being given a command at the exact moment you're supposed to be giving your own dog a contradictory command?

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Puddlesminitracker Named after what she did onmy foot when we first met, mini was her mama..and Tracker was her dad

Iris's springtime flower.... Because i liked it. :)

I LOVE MY CAIRNS PUDDLES AND IRIS!

Olie: named after Olaf Kolzig, goalie in the National Hockey League (Fitting name, he's big and tough.)

Teddy: full name is Joe and Tara's Teddy Bear...even at age six he's a cuddle bear.

Sweet Pea: she came to us pre-named at age four...didn't see any reason to change it.

Plus, she is a sweet little cairn.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

My professional nickname in the Navy, 23 years, 19 years on ships, was Boats (boatswainsmate) and on my last ship I called the Captain, "Skipper", thats how I came up with Skipper, nothing to do with Gilligans Island. Now if I got a female Cairn of course I would name her Ginger

Our family is pretty obsessed with the Harry Potter series, so we've named all our animals after Harry Potter characters...We have a Male Cairn named Finnigan, a Female Cairn named McGonagall, and a cat named Hermione. We prefer unusual names to the more common names.

post-3836-1229354658_thumb.jpg

That is a lovely picture of the two Cairns with the cat!

My friend has 4 Cairns which are Prudence [great-gran], Hettie [gran-ma], Poppy {mum} and Dilys [daughter].

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I just went through this exercise with my sis. We came up with Digby for a boy and Echo for a girl. I also like Hazel, Mortimer and Posey. My little guy is Ozzy Osborne!

My other 2 Cairns were Bandit and Gypsy. Taz originally was "Rex", but after a couple days we changed because he was such a Tazmanian devil! Another fun name is Pogo.

• 1 month later...

My friend had a rottie named Balthizar, always thought that would be a cool name for a little dog. I wanted to name our female Cheyanne but my little girl won that battle so we named her Belle , from Beauty and the Beast.

Belle

Louie's name came from a few things. When I saw him, he reminded me of a little dog in a royal court. Then I thought of that movie Marie Atoinette and wondered if there was a cairn in there. Since he wasn't a girl, I couldn't name him Marie, so I decided her husband, Louis sounded good. Then I remembered.. Oh! We're from St. Louis, Mo. THEN I thought.. oh and my favorite character in one of my favorite series of books is named Louis. (Louis from the Vampire Series by Anne Rice). But, I went with the English version of the spelling Louie because I didn't want anyone calling him Lewis.

If we ever get another Cairn and if he's a boy, we'll name him Archie after the St. Louis Arch. :lol:

I wish someone out there would name their cairn "Greg P" ;)

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

:lol:

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Our female was named Miya, my daughter and I came up with the name. Oddly enough without even talking to each other about it, she emailed me the name "Mya" and I had been thinking of "Miya", so I figured it was meant to be.

Hubby got to name the male, Max.

We also just got done watching the movie "Eight Below" which had a Maya and Max in it.

I had thought about something Scottish, but hubby is Welsh, so that wouldn't have gone over too well :)

I like the names Maddy and Milo too.

Who knows, if we get a couple more we'll have 4 dogs names starting with the letter "M". lol

We have a cat named Snickers for her color, she is a tortoise colored cat.

Miya

Max

Archived