CairnTalk

Holly_go_lighlty

Holly_go_lighlty

I would like to formally introduce Murphy Macdonald, Lord of the Isles. He just started his 9th week of life and has been in ours now for 5 full days.

He is proving to be a very smart young man. He has "hit the paper" every single time with no accidents and actually asked to go out last night (it may have been a fluke, but a good one), he has not cried or whined when "kenneled" at night, he has "Murphy Time" behind the baby gate in the kitchen and either entertains himself with constructive toys or naps, and best of all we have both fallen completely in love with him. He adjusted very well after being removed from his litter mates and knows where the chow comes from now.

His Dad has high hopes for him in the near future as an Earth Dog, and Mom is already cheering him on when he climbs over and under all sorts of good, dark, wet places in the backyard.

His new puppy visit with the vet went great yesterday and he weighed in at a whopping 4.7 lbs, test were clear and boy bits are intact!!

And a great surprise this morning when we woke up was BOTH ears are up!!!!!

Picture040.jpg

Picture043.jpg

What a doll!! keep the pictures coming!

I'm new to Cairns too and have been amazed at how easy it's been to train our boy Angus (7 mos.) and his great disposition.

Shelley, Angus and Mickey in Seattle

His Dad has high hopes for him in the near future as an Earth Dog,

As Kona says as he drops his nose to the ground at earthdog......

"I love the smell of "rat pee" in the morning!"

Greg and Kona hope to see wee Murphy at an earthdog event in the future! He looks to be something. You can see the swagger in his step in a still photo!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Oh, he is very precious! Looks like you got a winner. :) Puppies are just one of the greatest things in the whole wide world. Take lots and lots of pictures...they do grow up so fast. :)

He is quite a looker!! Also, agree about the swagger in his step, watch out girls looks like a guy with the Cary Grant appeal!

Or could that be said as Cairn Grant?!

He is beautiful. Congrats!!!!!!!! Glad to hear the break in time is going so great. Cairns are great and smart dogs. Enjoy his puppy time.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

OMG, he is so cute. That 2nd picture lying on the ground and looking up at you, is great.

• 1 month later...

Our little man is growing so fast! He had his 16 week check up with the vet and final shots last week. He weighed in at 9.1 lbs!!! He's quite leggy and still needs to grow into his ears. His teeth are starting to spread out with little gaps, and the vet said he should start losing them in the next month or so. He is the cutest little furry thing and I just want to eat him sometimes. :wub:

His behavior is quite charming and I have loved reading the thread about what everyone loves about their Cairns, as I am seeing so many of the traits ya'll have mentioned coming out in Murphy. The biggest issue we've had with him is nipping, which has improved so much with trial and error and some time outs! He's been accident free in the potty department for almost three weeks, and I haven't had paper down in the kitchen in about that long also. He's starting to knock on the doors when he has to go or chirps.

We walk one or two times every day and he LOVES it! He literally struts!

We have been training Murphy using the clicker training method. As of today he knows the following commands with and without the clicker: sit, down, kennel, come, give, dead, rollover, heel, and stay. He walks on a loose lead and he can stay for an appropriate amount of time for his age. We taught him dead last week and will ask him, "Murphy, would you rather be a FL Gator or dead?" and over he goes (we are AR Razorback fans living too close to The Swamp). You can insert any question of the sort in there, such as the one we asked him while at the vets office last week, "Murphy would you rather go to the vet or be dead?", over he went and the vet was hysterically laughing. Sometimes he grunts when he's going over, must have been painful. We can also say "BANG" and he'll play dead too!

It's amazing how smart he is!! We are already looking forward to the next trick.

Archived