CairnTalk

Litter Training

smatter

:D Hello All,

I am picking up my new pup in just over two weeks and I'm trying to decide whether or not I should use litter instead of paper. The breeder says he is paper trained already, but I like the idea of litter. It seems like it would be a lot harder to miss and I won't have to worry about the paper being chewed and moved around. Does anyone have any experience with litter?

I would also like some help deciding what brand of food to use. The choices are many at PetSmart. I will also find out what the breeder feeds.

I am thankful for this forum and value your advice.

Welcome, Smatter!

Hmmmm.....guess I would have to ask why you would want your puppy to be trained to go potty inside the house rather than outside? We have a cat that uses litter and quite frankly, it is messy and stinky no matter what type you use. IMHO....I think training from the start to go outside is easier for the dog, not necessarily you, though ;) . We spent almost the entire summer last year IN and OUT-IN and OUT!! Neighbors probably thought I was nuts!

My parents always trained with newspaper at first and then changed to outside. It was always very confusing for the dog-trying to make that transition. I could never figure out why they bothered with the newpaper training to begin with?

As far as food...yes, I would see what the breeder has been feeding. You wouldn't want to make any changes at first. If you should decide to switch, I would add a little of the new food to the old gradually as to not upset puppy's tummy. It gives you the chance to see how the adjustment goes better if you go slowly.

I use Iams mini-chunks only because that is what we have fed our oldest Cairn for over 12 years. I may have changed when I got our now one year old but with two dogs that is more difficult. So, I chose to stay with it.

I am sure others will be along shortly with more great advice! Again, welcome and congrats on choosing a Cairn!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I am all for OUTSIDE! Maybe I will stick with the paper for a while and not bother trying to transition to litter. I agree it seems like it would confusing to the pup. I will work on training him to go outside and ween him off the paper.

I have used Iams products in the past with good results. Is Eukanuba worth the extra $$$?

i cant advise on the litter training because we have two cats . i have seen Ginger pee in the litter box before, but our best result has been with newspaper or the puppy pads.

as for feeding we only have ever fed her eukanuba. started out with the puppy food, but now at 5 months she is eating lamb and rice for small dogs

Archived