CairnTalk

come on hernry!

Guest Lynda j

Guest Lynda j

Can you ever. ever, ever... get a Cairn to come with out a treat? :devil: i guess it's the cairn nature. :king:

signed henry's flustered family

If you get them working with the "Come" command early, they are a little better with it on average. Dudley certainly has his times where you could tell him to "Come" 'til you're blue in the face. But he's more receptive to coming when he's in a situation that he's learned isn't "normal". Such as, having him loose with me in the front yard without any resraint, on the walking trail, etc.

Cairns definitely have distinct personalities. My in-laws' Cairn has a subtlely different personality than Dudley.

They are very independent. If you're trying to get him to come without treats, a lot of positive reinforcement is needed when he actually does come.

Piper is pretty good at 'come' (it's all in the tone of voice with her) but I don't think she'd be reliable if there were distractions, say a squirrel, a child or a leaf, lol!! But seriously, when I use 'that' tone ( and definitely when my husband does), she really listens.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Guest hman

Thank you for the responses. Henry is just having fun when he runs away and knows if he comes, he will be caught. End of fun for awhile. We get the best response with treats of course. B)

Archived