CairnTalk

Allergies

Guest Nemmy

Guest Nemmy

Hello

I am looking to get one addorable little Cairn Terrier to help keep myself and Norman, my blind Dauchshund company. However, i seem to be one of those people who has every allergy known to man and am looking for advice, specifically if you think this dog is right for me:

Norman: norman is a short haired dauchshund, he doesnt make me sneeze or my eyes water. i have a problem where when i pick him up i can get a nasty rash where his hair presses against my skin. This isnt too much of a problem though and can handle it if a cairn terrier is likely to have the same effect

Oily coats - i have no allergy problems with our Neopolitan Mastiff who has a very short but oily coat.

Fur: Im not to sure whether the coat on cairn is more like fur or hair. My eyes water up terribly around rabbits and cats.

With this in mind, do you think theres any chance i can look after one of these guys and still be able to see and breathe?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Jennifer

NC

Only real way to tell is to be around them.

My son has an Airedale and does fine with him. Also, has no problem with my Cairns.

But, get him around Labs or Weimariner's (sp?) and he breaks out with an itchy hive-like rash. And, those are two short-hair dogs.

Good luck!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I think I'm allergigic to her barking, we have called her ms bark-alot.. on the serious side my son has asthma and he has no problems at all with our cairn

Good luck. I have terrible allergies as well which is why we have a Westie. We got our Cairn about six or so weeks ago and I have no problem. Allergies are from dander, not hair. That's why when you have a dog that sheds or a cat that stirs it up by licking, you'll have more trouble. There is very little shedding per se with these guys. I can not be around my brothers Golden because she leaves a trail of dander where ever she goes. The oil in your Mastiff keep the dander at bay as well. It's funny you mention the rash. I get one too whenever I snuggle with them for two long. Bath days are hard for me. Daddy has to do that because again, it stirs up the dander. It helps if they go elsewhere for bath time.

This will be such a wonderful companion for you and Norman :thumbsup:

Archived