CairnTalk

my droopy ears

Rockbiter

Hi to all the other Cairns on here. My name is Daisy and I have a question. I am about 9 weeks old now and my ears don't stand up like my sisters do. In fact my ears are a bit droopy. Do you think they will still stand at some point yet?

Hi there Daisy

9 weeks! How cute you must be.

Without fail, your ears will at some stage both stand up. They may take ages - or they may go up tomorrow. Maybe one will go up and the other will stay down. Maybe they will both go up then both come back down again! Maybe they will take it in turns to some days stand up and some days lie down. But never fear, eventually they will end up, well, UP. There is no 'normal' range involved here.

Hope this eases your worries a little :)

Would love to see a pic of your droopy ears.....

Not so, some Cairn ears never go up! (I think its cute! lol)

If you are worried daisy or you have to go into the show ring and need them to be up you can glue or tape them (training them to stand)

The best way for this is to fold in half lengthways and tape. Or is you enjoy pulling the tape of constantly you can glue them the same way.

Hope this helps, and yes PICCIS!!!

>http://www.freewebs.com/aimforcairns/

Not to worry. My Cairn Shadow, when he was a pup, had a droopy ear.

The vet explained to me that the veins in the ear didn't have a full blood

flow yet, so to speed that up you can use tape just like the previous

poster suggested. It worked like a charm. Within several

days the tape was no longer necessary.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Most likely Daisy's ears will stand up, but one of my favorite Cairns is Teona, who at last report had 1 ear up, and 1 ear down. She is just the cutest little girl you could ever want. Find Teona with the Forum Search tool, and look at the post by Teri9672 on June 4, 2007 for some great pictures of Teona & her floppy ear. Those pictures make me want to tape one of Sophie's ears down, not up!!

Hey Teri9672, any new pictures of Teona??

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Our littlest one had a one droopy ear until just a few days before her 1st birthday! We had given up hope - but it did come up.

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

Hi Daisy, this is Sadie. I had one ear that did not stand up right away but it eventually did, I think I was about 6 months. Mom said that I was super cute with my floppy ear but I think I am always cute...

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Rocky's were a little slow coming up, but they did just fine. My favorite stage was when they'd be up, but flop forward when he ran. It's was the goofiest looking thing! I also noticed when he was sleep or had just woken up from a nap they tended to flop. They were all the way on full point by 6 mos tho--

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Thanks everyone for your responses. Looks like there might be hope after all. We'll work on it. I tried folding the ears a while and it helped right away. Poor Daisy, I think she's a bit of a late bloomer (no pun intended). At least her tail stands up, some of the time.

Thanks again.

Mike in CO (and Daisy)

Poor Daisy, I think she's a bit of a late bloomer (no pun intended).

9 weeks old with floppy ears, and you are worried she is a late bloomer? Start worrying if she is 9 months old and they are still floppy. At 9 weeks old, it is very normal for the ears to still be down.

Most likely Daisy's ears will stand up, but one of my favorite Cairns is Teona, who at last report had 1 ear up, and 1 ear down. She is just the cutest little girl you could ever want. Find Teona with the Forum Search tool, and look at the post by Teri9672 on June 4, 2007 for some great pictures of Teona & her floppy ear. Those pictures make me want to tape one of Sophie's ears down, not up!!

Hey Teri9672, any new pictures of Teona??

thanks :) She is adorable isn't she. I think the floppy ear matches her personalty to a "T"

I just love her to pieces.......

56369598-teona.jpg

Thanks, Teri--

You just made my day with that great picture. What a cutie that Teona is! Give her a big :hug: from me!

Our first Cairn was about 4-5 months old before his finally stayed up. We too had the up & down routine as described above. Our new baby Emmy's ears were up & stayed up at 8 weeks (or earlier?). I wish we could have seen her with at least one floppy ear. Don't be to anxious for it to happen. It means they are growing up & those puppy days go buy WAY too quickly.

Wow! There sure are a lot of photos of really cute Cairn's (and other cute dogs too) being posted on this forum. Really precious little guys! Thanks all for sharing your pictures. Maybe this weekend I will get a chance to catch my breath and take a pic or two. : )

Mike in CO

Edited by Rockbiter

Heres Molly with her taped ear, and other with the others...Im a terrible photographer, but I did try! lol

post-3438-1210312041_thumb.jpg post-3438-1210312102_thumb.jpg

>http://www.freewebs.com/aimforcairns/

Heres Molly with her taped ear, and other with the others...Im a terrible photographer, but I did try! lol

post-3438-1210312041_thumb.jpg post-3438-1210312102_thumb.jpg

Your pictures are great, especially the one of all 3 together. What a beautiful gang of Cairns!!

I just realized that all the photos are gone from my post several years ago when I put Brattwurst's ears up with mole foam and surgical glue. I'll see if I can dig them up and repost. But my directions are still in the post... just no helpful photos

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

• 11 years later...

Maisie's ears will still down when I rescued her at 4 months.  When they did start to go up, it was one at a time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Our Barney is three years old and his ears are both down.  We had two previous Cairns and their ears took a while, but both came up.  Although there is no hope for my Barney's ears, he is so cute with them down.  We did not have the heart to force a change what mother nature made.

Edited by DennisBarney
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My late mother bought a female Cairn from a breeder in Colorado. Twenty plus years ago. The Toto colored type. A great dog, but her ears always flopped. I had her at the marina while working on my boat. Down the pier came a couple with a sandy colored pooch. Floppy ears but I was sure another Cairn. I grabbed Suki from the cabin and brought her out. They greeted each other. The guy said yep, a Cairn, but that some just flop... My current pound puppy. His ears almost always flop except occasionally... He hunts squirrels with my Red-tailed Hawk. 

PXL_20230521_234453315.jpg

Edited by Chuck Redding
Picture and clarification