CairnTalk

Cairns in season

JRM

Hi

This is my first post so bear with me!

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on what to do when your Cairn is in season? My little puppy is 7 months (not so little either...) and I'm planning to get her "sprayed" as soon as possible. My problem is, I'm pretty scared of another dog "getting friendly" :wub: with her when she goes into season (her first and last).

Any tips? This is my first dog (or bitch as the case may be) so I need the help.

Thanks guys

Is there a reason why you're letting her go into heat before you get her spayed? Everything I've heard and read says that if you aren't planning on breeding her, get her spayed before her first heat.

Anyone else out there have an opinion, especially breeders? Just curious because I just got my female spayed last week. She's six months old.

Otherwise - keeping her inside makes sense.

Hi

Well, I'm from Scotland so the obvious answer to this is that we get different advice over here but the 2 vets I've spoken to advised on letting her have her first season "especially since the cairn is a small dog as spraying before can increase the chances of blood clots".

I'm supposed to wait 3 months after her season and then get her sprayed. Maybe its to make sure her first season isn't on the way when she gets done? I'd imagine that what will cause the problem.

The thing about keeping her indoors is that I've spent the last 5 months training her to go outside. In my experience when a dog is in heat, half the areas dogs are in your back garden waiting for her to come out :confused: Hence the reason for asking advice!!! :lol:

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to get back to me.

yes - good luck with keeping her inside! i fully understand how difficult that might be for you! not to mention all the gentlemen callers on your front door step...

ous is five months old we were advised by her vet to have her spayed before her first 'season ' which eould be within the next month... i hate if for her so bad you know i'm a 'mommy and cant stand the thought of my baby being hurt :) anyone have advice on how to care for them after surgery

GG

Hi again -

I just had Molly spayed on 4/23. Took her home the same day (evening). She was extremely tired and drowsy from the meds - slept until 8 AM the next morning. We fed her a small amount that morning and her appetite was good.

The vet performed laser surgery with all stitches on the inside. Her incision on her belly was small (maybe 1 1/2" long) and was held in place by a clear liquid adhesive. She didn't need to wear a funnel-type collar at all. She let the incision completely alone - which was a relief for us.

We gave her 1/2 a Rimadyl 2 x a day for three days - even tho she didn't seem to need it. Within 24 hours of bringing her home, she was back to her old self. No complications, no issues whatsoever. It was much easier than we had anticipated.

Hope this helps - good luck! :thumbsup:

Archived