CairnTalk

Stalking/catching birds

CathyAnn

Well, our little one year old caught and killed bird #2!!!

We didn't actually 'see' him catch it but it was fresh. Still warm and bleeding....eeeeeeewwww!

Question....are there any health concerns I should be aware of with this situation? So far, hubby and I have gotten the bird away before it became a 'snack'. But, what if he should actually eat it????

Thanks!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

A couple of days ago, Wes dove into the bushes and pulled out a little bunny. The bunny was still alive so I brought him into the house and fed him. But the rabbit expired the next day. I felt so awful.

Madison had been going crazy over the birds too. We have 4 birdhouses and the wrens are TRYING to nest in the forthysia bushes but Madison is right there jumping & barking at them. Winnie, on the other hand, last year would lie on the deck while the doves or cardinals would pick at seed inches from her.

The tufted titmouse will actually swoop down and pluck fur from a dog or horse to use as nesting material. I'd give a months salary to see that happen to Madison :lol:

Our Lucy caught a mourning dove once. :)

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Rebel caught a Blue Jay but the bird was attacking him. Then he caught a baby bunny I thought he had a squeaky toy at first. I got hte bunny from him but it didn't make it. Our neighbor now has a chicken in his yard I am worried to death it will fly over the fence and Rebel will get it.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

hallswel that reminds me of living in the country with my chow cross. The neighbor had some chickens and one got in my yard. The chow plucked that chicken's behind but didn't kill it. I shoved chicken and feathers back under the fence and [practiced my best innocent face :whistle: Kate

LOL...My boy is a wimp. I have ducks and he'll "gather" them and then look at me like "what do I do now??" His two canine siblings are herding dogs and he's picked up a lot from them. We have lots of buzzards and hawks around here, they'd circle above him when he was a pup :shock: , scared me to death, still does and we have to be very careful to keep him real close when outside.

I must have a really good lil hunter on my hands :) . Two birds in 2 months!

Does anyone know of they can get sick/diseases from eating birds????

If we wouldn't have seen him with it so soon, I am SURE it woulda been lunch for him. He did NOT want to 'drop' it after repeated commands.....sigh.....

Cathy

P.S.

HappyCairn....if you do a search, I posted awhile back about hawks circling our puppy, too. Scared me to death!

Cathy and Piper

They probably can get sick from some birds, but not all of them carry disease.

The vet said rabbits carry tuleremia (sp?) that's also fatal to humans. But not all rabbits- the rabbit Wes brought in was apparently healthy. otherwise we all would've shown immediate symptoms.

Sally....my little guy goes ape over rabbits! We have a fenced yard and I put chicken wire all around the bottom perimeter to keep them away from my perennial gardens.

Well, the rabbits are camped out in my neighbors yard now underneath their deck. :devil: sits at the fence constantly watching for them..... and yelps, whines, howls...well, you get the picture :shock: !

Should those wabbits ever decide to venture over to my yard for a visit, they might not live to regret it!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Ginger must be too much of a "gril" she is afraid of birds but then again she has two step brothers who are cats that handle the birds and field mice. she will look out the door and bark at the birds when they come to feed in the feeder or yard, but if she is out she only barks at them and runs. :P

GG

Last spring George & Gracie went rabbit AND bird hunting. Unfortunately I couldn't get to them before they became lunch. It was one of the most discusting things I have ever witnessed! :sick: Well, it took two weeks for them to get sick. (Another :sick: ) George got so sick he quivered for an hour. The vet told us to give them each a Pepcid and that did help. Clean up was extreme!!

Yesterday I caught Madison climbing into one of our birdbaths. I put one directly in front of our stone wall so the chipmunks and little critters could get easily get a drink. Never dawned on me Madison would enjoy it too....ugh!

Hi! As I am typing this I am looking out the window - - I keep seeing this little fuzzy head going up and down - - up and down - - up and down - - it is Riley trying to catch bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived