CairnTalk

GROOMING

Guest Shellie

Guest Shellie

I have a 7 month old Cairn Terrier, Ruby. She is ready to be trimmed since she is looking a bit scruffy. I am very confused since I cannot find someone to strip her and I am not going to try doing it myself. I am looking for a groomer but I am scared that Ruby will be bald or traumatized with the wrong groomer.

If anyone is in the New Jersey area and can refer me to a good groomer I would appreciate your help.

P.S. I am also confused regarding stripping vs. cutting..........if she is cut with scissors will her fur grow in soft?

Guest Scout's mom

I don't have an answer for you, but I am trying to find on in the St. Louis area. How do you go about finding a good groomer?

If the breeder of your Cairn is not available to help you, this is a casual method I might try. Attend an all-breed show in your area and wander around the grooming area. Every time you see any double-coated terrier ask whoever is grooming it if they know anyone who might groom a Cairn Terrier on the side, in your area. Eventually you will find either a breeder or handler who supplements their income with grooming, and you will have found someone who most likely knows what they're doing. Even better, you may find a Cairn exhibitor (breeder, owner, or handler) who will point you in the right direction. I know several Cairn breeders who are happy to groom pets occasionally.

If you end up with someone who grooms a similar double-coated terrier but doesn't know Cairns particularly, give them a copy of the CTCA grooming booklet so they know the look they are shooting for :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest Shellie
I don't have an answer for you, but I am trying to find on in the St. Louis area. How do you go about finding a good groomer?

Hi Shellie,

I wouldn't be so intimidated about doing it yourself. If you use the search option on this forum you'll find more information about stripping than you'll ever need, but enough to get you going. It's not as difficult as it sounds, it doesn't hurt them, and it's good quality time to spend with your pup. Just start with a little a day, maybe ten minutes. You'll get the hang of it! :thumbsup:

Thela

I know just how you feel, Shellie.

I have a 10 year old female who has been clipped/shaved/cut from the very beginning....this was before I knew that a Cairn needed to be stripped to keep that wonderful coat. Now I have a 8 month old (Madison) and I want her to have that "Cairn" look.

I've been using the Mars Coat King stripping tool on both of my girls and it seems to do wonders. It's thinned out my 10 year old who was looking like a bear and every few weeks I run it through Madison to keep her tidy. My girls are never going to Westminster but they will never be confused with a Cocker Spaniel either :D

Also, I find that this self-grooming can be a bonding-time too. (in other words....either you let ME do it or I will let a STRANGER do it)....they will eventually understand :P

Infodog

Brad's suggestion that people seeking advice or help in grooming their cairns attend a conformation show in their area is a great idea. Anyone looking for a show in his or her area of the country should look at <www.infodog.com>. Infodog's site contains a tremendous amount of information about upcoming shows as well as results for shows past. You can follow the links to a map of the US and choose your state. From there you can narrow your search to shows in your region.

Cairn Rescue

The following site has lots of good information about grooming:

<http://www.cairnrescue.com/general/groom.htm>

SPA

Guest Guest

I would really suggest you find a groomer or learn to strip her. We did not do our Cadbury for several years and he was cut like a scottie. Finally I found a groomer who knew how to strip and he is looking better. It has taken four groomings three months apart and some expense to get to this point. His guard hairs on his legs are still not back, I guess that will take a while.

Guest SHELLIE

Thanks to everyone who replied to me.....

I JUST FOUND A GROOMER 20 MINUTES FROM MY HOUSE!!!!

I am so excited she will strip not cut Ruby..... she sounded very knowledgable and she has several other Cairns as clients.

She goes on Saturday for her first appointment.

Archived