CairnTalk

Stripping done wet or dry?

Rayne

:wub: Hi everyone, Tigger's mom here, I have stripping knives, and I have read everything on the web I can about the procedure/process. No where have I been able to find whether or not you strip a freshly bathed dog, or you just wet them down, or you do it when they are dry.

I am concerned about this because the Cairn book I got when I first brought Tigger home said you should only brush a Cairn's coat when it is wet. In another section of the book, it talked about stripping their coat, but never mentioned wet or dry.

I have tested it dry, and wet just to gauge his reaction, and he hates dry, and doesn't seem fazed when he is wet.

Also, is their any truth to the no brushing unless his coat is wet?

Thanks,

Rayne

Hi Brad, The book I read was just a small pet store paperback on Cairn Terriiers, they had one for every breed. It was all they had, so I bought it. I have no idea where it is anymore either. But, I do distinctly recall it saying not to brush their coat except when it is wet.

So, you strip your kids coats when they are dry? What knives do you use? I went on E-Bay looking for a Mars stripper, and oddly enough, the only one I could find that was similar to the mars was one called a Mat King Dematting Tool. That looks different, and I have not heard anyone speak of it either. What does anyone think?

Thanks,

Rayne

I'm really not the right person to ask :confused: When I'm moved to actually do something I usually just brush them out first with a cheap pin brush, followed by a comb and/or slicker to gently unravel any mats. Then I use finger cots on my thumb and forefinger to pull.

I do sometimes rake with a Coat King if I'm in a hurry and the dog will not be seeing the ring anytime in the next year. I have all kinds of knives (gadget freak I guess): if I want to be careful about not cutting and just pulling I use a medium or fine straight-handled Pearson finishing knife. If I'm planning to cheat and cut or break some hairs, I'll use a sharp medium or fine Hauptner. Sometimes I rake out a little undercoat with the McClellan. Sometimes I try a pumice stone but I just don't seem to have the patience to keep them unclogged.

In the end, plain old fingers seem as fast or faster than using a knife, and you won't cut or break any coat.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have recently read that you should only strip about two weeks after you have bathed. The reason for this is that the hair folicle is wide open and prone to any sort of thing that could get done it, infection, dirt or what have you. A dog should be stripped when the fur is dry.

I use a pin brush also, Mars King comb, then the striping knives. I finish off with a pumice stone. I haven't tried the finger cot yet but I have heard it works really well. Take your time, don't rush. This is quality time you have given to yourself and your furkid. :wub:

Archived