CairnTalk

Rescue Cairns

Shirley

Hi, I'm new here and am looking for info from others who have rescue cairns. I have a 6 year old female and we are in the process of looking for a Cairn to adopt as a companion for her.

I know these dogs come from a variety of situations, especially mills which I detest. By adopting a rescue, do you think it's contributing to the perpetuation of these mills? I'm torn, I know these dogs need good homes but I really don't want to be part of the problem, if you know what I mean.

Shirley

If you go to the Home Page of this web site and look on the left side of the page, you will see Rescue Contacts. Click here and you will see a list of members that work in Rescue. Any one of them will be happy to work with you.

Good luck.

Shirley,

After sending my other post, I had a few additional thoughts I wanted to share with you. By adopting a rescue, you are not contributing to the problem. Some rescues become so because of family situations, etc., but IMHO, most of them were

puppy mill or back yard breeder dogs to begin with. Most of our rescue stories tell of successful, wonderful relationships and experiences once these dogs get into a home of love. Not acquiring a rescue is not going to stop puppy millers -- they are in it for the dollars with no thought as to the welfare of the animal. All we can do is try in our own personal way to discourage people from buying from puppy mills and puppy mill sources; the only way to effect them is to dry up their incoming profits. Once the puppy is sold, the puppy miller could care less about the dog's fate; they just want their money. If they cared, they would give a contract and some warranty as to the health of the animal.

Adopting a cairn is one of the most compassionate things you could do and, in turn, he or she will bring a new light into your life.

Just my thoughts -- based on experience BTW.

Joyce

We have just adopted a ten week old from Col. Potter Cairn Rescue.

What a wonderful organization to adopt. We had overwhelming help with getting our little boy. He is just beautiful along with his brothers and sisters. We even met his mother, Madison. She was a little trooper. She was five years old and had been bread two times pr year for each of her years. The smile on this girls face would win anyones heart. She has now been adopted and will never again be forced to have another litter.

We could not have asked for an easier transition to get our puppy. The people were wonderful and CARING. We even have follow up help.

I cannot say enough about this organization. They are wonderful. Do yourself a favor and help another. You will be blessed fifty fold. It's not how many breaths you take it is how many take your breath away.....

• 3 months later...

Our first Cairn was from an incredible breeder & our second (only 6 months later) was from the local Cairn club's rescue arm. We have NO regrets with our 3-year old rescue dude. He is a joy & is very special to our lives!

Linda (AKA: Murphy & Trapper's mom)

Archived