CairnTalk

Cairn exercise

Jane Click

I am searching for a dog as a companion and am drawn to terriers, especially Cairns. I walk nearly everywhere, hike about once a week, but live in a small condominium without a fenced yard. I have heard conflicting opinions on whether this would be a suitable arrangement for a Cairn. I also can take my dog to work with me though that means being inside an office. Other dogs are in the same building and walk about freely. Thanks for any help in this matter.

I can tell you my dog loves to hike! He's a regular mountain goat. He loves climbing rocks, running through hills and gulleys- the more the better. He wears a harness and we have a strong 6-foot training lead. In case of any emergency, we pull the leash and he's airborne!

We have a small fenced off area where he can go outside to business. That fence is made from two animal pens tied together and anchored to the house.

They do need alot of exercise but I don't believe it has to come from free roaming outside. Walks, hikes and even play inside can do.

When Madison, my 8 month old is on a rampage, it wouldn't matter whether my house was mansion size or a cubbyhole. She'll tear through whatever area is available, run herself ragged and end up panting. That's exercise and I can get some too just trying to chase her! :)

Wow what a lucky little cairn that would be. Max would be in heaven if took him everywhere you can offer to. The walking/running and hiking won't be any problem for a cairn, they have an abundance of energy. We have a large fenced in yard to let him run but it would be much better if I could actually do the exercise thing like you. Cairns are rarely left off a lead because they have a tendancy to dart after moving things and not to respond to the word "come" when they are doing their thing. If you can assurse safety to one of these little wipper snappers I think you would be a perfect match!

Melanie

Maxwell

Guest Hogan's Mom

We live in a townhouse, no yard. We walk Hogan 3-4 times a day, and he plays/runs around inside. On weekends, he comes hiking with us. He seems very happy with this situation. I don't think you will have a problem.

It sounds like your cairn would have plenty of exercise. He would love being with you at work too. If you have him on the lead all the time when he is out, the fenced yard isn't an issue. However don't let him out off the lead ever. Cairns will see something in the distance and take off. They are bred to hunt and chase and they will given the chance. That being said, there isn't a better friend in the world and your life will be so much richer and more fun with a cairn.

My little buddy Murphy is quite the runner. We go for walks and he is ALWAYS on

an 30 foot training lead. He can run to his hearts content and I still have control

over him.

A fenced yard isn't necessary as long as you keep him on a leash and always keep a good tight hold of it and keep your eyes looking for things that may attract his attention, skate boards, bicycles, motorcycles and anything that is moving faster than his is he will chase.

Have fun with a Cairn, they will grow on you and You'll wonder how you ever got

along without them before. :wub:

We live in a townhouse, too. Molly seems to do well with 3 or 4 walks a day and some play time inside. She likes a really good romp at the tennis court, also. They do require exercise but I agree with everyone else - you can do that inside as well as outside - so a fenced yard is not a pre-requisite. It sounds like you have a great lifestyle for a Cairn. I hope you get one!

Cairns love the outdoors, love to run and romp at their own free-will But, on the other hand, they are very adaptable dogs. I encourage anyone with a puppy or very young Cairn to be sure it gets plenty of "free form" outdoor exercise. If you get a dog that's four or older, he/she will probably adapt better to the environment you describe. Cairns remain active into old age so the dog would love the hiking and would probably like being with you at work since they also love being close to their human. You would have many years of fun and companionship with a Cairn of this age.

Good luck to you,

Joyce

we live in an older home that you ca go from the living room, through the hallway, kitchen, dining area an end back up in the living room she does laps about once a day through the house, but now it's warm weather we take her out for evening walks on a 12 foot lead with harnes she loves to run, but we live in the city and she wouldn't last two hours if she got free someone would steal her in a second.

GG

Hi! Although a fenced-in yard would be convenient, I think any form of exercise is sufficient with a Cairn - - the only thing is they need lots of it!!! They have a high level of energy and even when I think Riley is ready to "drop" - - he comes back for more playtime!!!

Archived